European power strips

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ibilly, Sep 3, 2006.

1. ibilly macrumors regular

I'm going to be spending two semesters in sussex and I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be plugged in. Almost all of the things I'm bringing accept two voltages/frequencies, but I can't really get power to it. I have a few plug adapters, but I don't have enough for all my stuff. Radio shack sells big sets, and it's a little ridiculous to get an entire set (including the weird slanty New Zealand ones) for every little thing that needs electricity.

Is there an brand of power strip that I could plug into the wall that wouldn't fry w/ the different power so I could actually use all of my stuff?

Any other options/useful website I might want to know about?

P.S. I'm in the US using out standard plugs

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I assume you mean Sussex in England. In that case you want a UK power strip not a European one: we have different plugs!

What I've done in the past is to take a UK power strip with me and use a single adaptor on it. This works fine as the UK strip is built to handle 240V.

Do all of your devices have none-removable cables to the plug? If not what sort of connections do they use. Apple gear, for example, uses a standard figure-8 connector so my advice would be (for Apple stuff at least): buy some UK figure-8 cables and use them. They are around £3 if you shop sensibly. Many chargers for digital camera batteries etc use the same...