European Union

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JesseJames, Jun 6, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Hello to all our friends in Europe. I was reading National Geographic the other day and was quite intrigued with a story about the EU. All in all it seems like it's coming along.
    The negative aspect of the story was how painful the process is going to be to get former Soviet bloc countries up to speed economically with the already established Western European countries. But the future looks bright considering what huge markets these will be and already are. The article touched on how enterprising some people already are in those countries.
    Ah, profiteering seems to be such an innate human trait.
    So I was wondering how do you all feel about this? Is the EU everything it's promising to be? Or is it just a 'castle in the sky'?

2. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Sure - as you say, once the new countries get up to speed, then the Eunion becomes stronger and these countries can benefit. We need a strong body like the EU to compete with the United States (well, not be bullied by them)

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

European union = waste of time and money, the quicker we get away from further integration the better. im a politics student doing a 10,000 word project on it at the moment before people shout back at me for not nowing anything :D

4. MacRohde macrumors regular

MacRohde

Wow, a politics student. Then you must be right.

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

no im not saying im right i was just meaning that i have read around the topic and so i have properly formed my opinion. unlike the majority of people who's knowledge come from having read the front cover of their daily paper once. and to be precise im a philosophy politcs and economics student!

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

actually i don't think it will take a long time for the countries to catch up..the salerys are increasing at unbelievable rates...and for the companys who are investing big time in eastern europe it's getting better and better everyday...

of course it will take a lot of years for countries like romania,bulgaria and some countries to catch up ... but they will ...

the heart of europe which had been conquered by force /seperated by force/completly burned to the ground multiple times in history, is finally working together peacefully

i completly understand why the EU is so often critizised in the UK ... i guess it is hard to understand that "what belongs together is finally together" feeling if your own country isn't involved

7. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

All very well, Russed, but your opinion may as well be based on the front cover of the Daily Mail, iteself. Exactly why are you against further integration with Europe? Skipton - nice place

8. russed macrumors 68000

russed

wow someone who knows Skipton! its not bad!

well the EU costs a lot of money and in my opinion doesnt really bring many bnefits. the Euro adds uneccesary economic tool restrctions which as can be seen is punishing hte like s of the French, Germans and Portugese (ironically the germans called for the rules which are costing them so dear) honestly forcing yourself to restrict government spending at a time when spending needs increasing to reflate the economy.

other measures such as the however many hours working week directive cost businesses money and it appears that it is only us Brits that abide by them, that applies to the rules Brussels has come up with.

the CAP - dont get me started! i think that is there to keep the French farmers happy.

MEP's sit there employing their wives as secretarys doing nothing and they just sit there!

the EU is now far too big, in the UK we have trouble controlling the north south divide so how can 25 countries be controlled by one sets of taxes etc as is proposed? there are all the old communist countries who need all the help they can get and so in time it appears all the money will be going in their direction, we are a net contibutor as it is and i can only see it getting worse for us.

dont get me wrong i am all for free trade areas but i think it is taking it too far with single currency, etc

by the way i dont read the daily mail - what as piece of scare mongering that is! i generally tend to keep to the economist and the bbc website!

9. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Good, your politics credentials have been restored :) Skipton, yes - i enjoy the sausage shop they have there :)

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

aah stainforths, the person who owns it lives around the corner from me. the pies are nice too! there is a nicer place in ilkley though!

im pleased my politics credentials have been restored! its one thing i do feel pationatly about is europe and the euro - i support that is just me being a tory though!

11. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm i expect the budget system changing a little bit too...especially italy,ireland should pay a little bit more/or get less money ...
    austria is paying more every year relativly because the regions which got support are catching up (especially now after the eastern expansion of the EU)

as for the single currency: that was perhaps the most important step for the EU ... especially for the countries with smaller currencies ,big tourism etc.
    i really doubt any of the countries which just joined won't to their best to achieve the requirments for the euro...

(BTW slovenia is already better than greece or portugal according to economics they are on their way to be the next net contributor ... and chez republic is on the jump too ... )

and of course the thing which is missed most often that the EU isn't only about trade and money ...

13. russed macrumors 68000

russed

the whole system has to change, hence the reason they are planing the constitution to try and unify the member states more as they know they can not control the countries as they wish. The countries' economies will not allign and so the problems they are seeing now will not end (Ireland booming ,and many more in recession or nearing recession one interest rate clearly isn't helping). however, in the process of writing the constitution they are trying to get far too close which may result in same speed limits etc - just making one big super state. it will kill off individual identity of each country and make them all the same.

admittedly the Euro has its benefits but i feel there are far more stronger arguments against it. the main one being the loss of the interest rate and other economic controls. the exchange rate is a very powerful tool for controlling the economy and other controls such as the limit on govt. borrowing to 3% of the gdp is unneccesary. as i said before the germans are learning this now after they called for it in the early 90's when the were the main economic power within europe. now that the UK stayed out, admittedly our economy had a down turn as did the rest of the world but we were in a far better position to keep things under control.

hence expansion wasnnt a good thing with europe in its current state. the countries are compleatly different (mainly being ex communist) their economies are under developed as they have only been free standing for the past 10 years or so. they may have been better joining with the EU as just a free trade area, not a place with a government, single currency etc though that may still trouble us as their production costs are far lower so hitting out manufacturing industires even harder

yeh it was created to stop war again after the 2nd world war by getting the countries talking to each other and depending upon each other through trade, i would say that has been achieved so further integration is not needed. we can still go on holiday to italy spain etc without the euro we can still enjoy each country so why make them all the same and let them be controled by a few people in brussels who dont know what each country needs. oh and for us to have to abide to useless legislation that costs us money and brings no benefit - the bendy banana rule comes to mind here!

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Ah........how refreshing, at last a thread that has non-americans discussing/arguing non-american policy/problems...thanks, it is nice to have a breather...

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait a minute, you mean to say there's a world outside America? :D

16. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Not a good one :p

17. russed macrumors 68000

russed

wait a minute the conversation is going back to america again!

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I sure hope you're kidding. And not the kind of kidding where you mean what you say but laugh while you say it.

19. dopefiend macrumors 6502

**laughs** ;)

20. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Smoooooth :cool:

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

That's what I thought.... :p