European Vacation

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by topgunn, Dec 1, 2005.

1. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

My wife and I are leaving for Europe from the US next Thursday, December 8th. We are flying into Munich staying for a few days and leaving for Paris by way of Heidelberg. So for those of you that are familiar with these cities, I am looking for suggestions of sights to see, places to eat or things to do that the average tourist may not be aware of. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

2. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

3. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Having lived in Munich for a while here are my recommendations.

You have to check out the Christmas Market at Muenchener Freiheit (U-bahn line 6) and drink lots of mulled wine gluhwein (sp?). After that, walk down Leopoldstrasse and hit the Wirthaus zur Brez'n. Good German/Bayerisch food, especially warranted after standing in the freezing cold that is Bavaria. Knodel's are big dumplings which look like a snowball... avoid if dieting.

If you still have room after all the alcohol, try going around the back of the Hertie store, and find Lloyds Cocktalk bar...

There's a couple of english/irish pubs around there if you want to be around English speakers and lots of Germans too.

Another great place which is popular with more locals than tourists is Pappasitos (tex-mex) www.pappasitos.de is the link. This place has a twist in that after people finished eating around 10pm, people get on the chairs/tables to dance.

Avoid some of the places around the Main station/Hauptbahnhof as the 'titty bars' charge a fortune. I spent many a night in Cafe Schiller on Schillerstrasse (open 23 hours a day)... Oh, and also keep away from any bars that start 'Haus von xxxx bieren'... House of 111 or so beers are bleeding expensive (even when paying in Marks as opposed to Euros).

Paris is one of the places where it depends on what you want... For a nice romantic evening, I would suggest a restaurant on the bottom of Avenue George V. You get a great view of the Eiffel Tower and you can either people watch or stare in each others eyes.

For a more fun night, try the area around the Bastille, Rue du Lappe is a good place. Good for cocktails and Spanish food.

English people tend to congregate around the Frog pubs, the Rosbif or the Princesse. The Frog and Rosbif has a slightly older clientele while the Princesse tends to have lots of younger people in it. Man, my mouth is watering to go to these places again myself. Have a wander around Rue St Denis (Chatelet Les Halles RER) but go no further up from the Rosbif as thats where the les putes (prossies) hang out.

Avoid the American bars around the back of the Champs Elysees... Pricey and not much fun.

Best of luck and have fun on the trip...

4. topgunn thread starter macrumors 65816

topgunn

Wow, that is a lot of great information. I will have to print that out and take it with me.

5. mo-ca macrumors member

if you like you can use the u-bahn [metro?] to karlsplatz. there you get off and turn on the surface to a fountain. simply pass it and you're on a 'shopping mile' of munich. after 2-5 minutes you'll see the city hall on the left side and if you continue [direction: 2. circle] youll find a german apple-store, just if youre interessted.

if you like cinema, then ill suggest visiting the imax. youll find it next to the "Deutsches Museum" on the 'museums insel'.

[​IMG]

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's what I thought too. Sounds like I'm talking to Clarke Griswold himself. ;) Hopefully, calamity and hilarious hijinx ensue as well. Either that, or a great time in 2 beautiful cities.

About Munich, you're not that far from Fussen, which is where the Neuschwannstein (sp? :confused: :confused: :confused: ) is located. Beautiful.

That's all I have to say. I'm sure Paris will be much easier to figure out. There's enough info out there already. Just be careful about how you handle your wallet when you're trying to pay for something. Don't put it down on the counter if you're trying to count your EUROs to pay, although many tourists do put their wallet to count their money because they can't easily identify the bills and take a long time. Your wallet may not find it on the counter when you look up.

7. topgunn thread starter macrumors 65816

topgunn

I planned on taking a day trip to Fussen to do a bit of shopping and to visit Ludwig's Castle (easier to spell that Neuschwannstein but not as fun to say). And yes, it is beautiful.

8. mo-ca macrumors member

well neuschwanenstein isnt the castle in germany, i like most. but hey, youre in that region, why not ;)