EV-DO: Sprint or Verizon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lom8104, Apr 19, 2006.

1. lom8104 macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    Wondering if anyone has experience with EV-DO that they would like to share. It seems to me that verizon has the better card & coverage now, but that Sprint may have better coverage down the road?
  2. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    Assuming you have bluetooth, I suggest not getting the card.

Buy a Moto e815. Follow the steps on this page.

I have been using it as a modem in 1xRTT and EvDO networks for a month now with just minutes usage. YMMV as this is supposedly against the TOS. Rumor has it you can subscribe to VCast and that includes unlimited data usage over EvDO.

EvDO is fast, but not as fast as it should be...

Edit: I never answered your question. I use Verizon and am thoroughly satisfied with their coverage. I worked for 2 years up in the Adirondaks and they were the only ones who could get a signal to me (sorta).
  3. Subiklim macrumors 6502

Mar 31, 2006
    Manhattan, New York
    As suggested above, don't buy the card if you have bluetooth. I have the Verizon XV6700, and using it via bluetooth with my 12" PB is a pleasure. I personally like Verizon better, but sprint's service is MUCH cheaper.
  4. lom8104 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 7, 2005
    So is sounds like EV-DO is not ready to be a full replacement for a high speed connection at home yet. I would be better off with DSL and get a 1x capable cellphone so that I can use that connection whenever I am on the road.

Now which phones can I use the 1x via bluetooth and still sync?
  5. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

May 10, 2005
    Depends on your carrier.

I suggest spending some time searching around the web. I suggest http://www.howardforums.com/ as a good starting point and place for further help.