EVDO or HSPDA solutions for MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JasonBourne9, Feb 1, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Given the unconventional USB port on the MBA and the fact that at least one USB EVDO modem has been reported not to fit (by gizmodo). I thought it might be nice to start a thread for modems that do work.

If you have a working 3G modem solution, please post in here.

I don't have my MBA yet (it's in the Air!) but when I get it, I will test it with a Verizon/Novatel 740 and a USB adapter.

Obviously a USB extension cable will work on just about anything but curious about less clunk solutions.

2. macrumors 68020

Wait why cant the air not fit a usb cell modem?

3. thread starter macrumors member

4. macrumors member

Tramjaw

i would just connect it to my phone via bluetooth.

5. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Use a very small extender cable and be done with it. Why be a drama queen ?

Nearly all the 3G modems the mobile companies in the Ireland & UK are all based on the Huewaii E220 USB modem and all use usb cable to attach the dongle and will work no problem.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

Hardly a solution if you need EVDO/HSPDA speed. Plus I don't think tethering is even permitted in the ATT TOS.

7. macrumors member

Tramjaw

well, bluetooth 2.0 is pretty close to most of the 3g networks in america.. and i'm pretty sure (Link) it is permitted.

8. macrumors 68000

robanga

There are plenty of 3G phones that have bluetooth modem capabilities. My Samsung Blackjack is one of those. On the EVDO side with Sprint in the USA, they are very tethering friendly.

9. macrumors 68020

did not know that. New question,

WHY on earth would you connect that directly to a usb port? thats just asking for something to apply light pressure to it and break a usb port.

10. JCT
    macrumors 6502

No joke--- I lost one of the USB ports on my 12" PB when some woman next to me in an airport waiting area picked up a screaming toddler and the kid's heels side-swiped my modem sticking out of the left side.

I always use a short extender cable.

JT

11. macrumors 6502a

Just about any USB adaptor will work, in fact most of them include a usb extension cable and I've even seen some that are designed to hang on the top of the back of the display.

Who really wants that thing hanging out the side of the laptop anyways?

12. macrumors member

All the cards work with an extension cable, which is probably a better way to go, even on a normal laptop... huge inflexible dongle coming out of your machine = asking for snap, crackle and pop. I broke the USB port on a Dell once (my cousin's) cause I left a USB flash drive in it, then forgot, and picked it up funny.

13. macrumors 6502a

I ordered this extension from Belkin.

I'm hoping this will allow me to turn the modem (my U727) back parallel to the edge of the MBA. Check out the video of on that page of how it works with an MBP.

I think that looks better than it sticking out perpendicular anyway. I'll take a picture on the MBA if I can get my hands on an MBA!

I'm also going to see how this works in my bag. Hopefully when we travel I can just keep it in my bag or near the hotel window so my wife can share the connection as well.

14. macrumors 65816

barefeats

I like the UM150 USB EVDO Rev A modem

I was offered a UM150 free as a replacement for my USB720 USB EVDO Rev A modem. The UM150 has a articulating USB connector. Not only does it save your USB port from being "torqued" but it allows you to have the modem sitting vertically instead of sticking out horizontally where it can get bumped.

It also comes with an chrome antenna that extends out like a car's radio antenna. I not only use it on Mac laptops, but it also works on Mac desktops.

15. macrumors member

I have a handful of those Belkin connectors. The modem is heavy enough to cause some of them to flop around a little left and right. I still like em though. :)

16. macrumors newbie

I have a verizon USB720 EDVO card. I should have my MBA by Tuesday and will try it out. I'm certain a little USB extension cable will work.

17. macrumors 68040

I use an extension cable because I do not like the thing sticking out...

I do wish apple would have offered an intergrated solution for this awhile ago.

As dumb as it sounds, the main thing that keeps me away from this computer...

18. macrumors 6502a

Someone else told me that today, too. Which modem do you have?

19. macrumors member

Novatel U720 I think it is.

20. macrumors member

21. macrumors 68000

teerexx52

22. macrumors member

Anyone got 'Back to my Mac' working on mobile broadband?

The router solution looks interesting. The one question I have for everyone here is whether anyone can tell me whether back to my mac works over the EVDO network. I have found the Back to my Mac is a little temperamental at best, I can use it when I'm in a 'clean' environment such as someone else's house, but it doesn't work when I'm at my client's office even though they claim they are not stopping any ports on the 'guest' network I use. Since I don't know what it is that prevents it from working I was wondering if anyone who uses mobile broadband and leopard has confirmed this feature works or not.

Thanks in advance

23. thread starter macrumors member

I'd be very interested in hearing about this too. Given the small size of the MBA's on board storage, I'm planning to rely on "back to my mac" a fair bit. Probably over EVDO most of the time (not enough 802.11 out there to rely on it).

24. macrumors 6502

island

25. macrumors 601

I have one. We tried it on a friends MacBook Air and it worked just as good as it does on my MBP. Leopard already has support built in so you just plug in the card and click connect. The card is already programmed so no need to type in any info.