Even Babies Aren't Exempt From 'No-Fly' List

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by IJ Reilly, Aug 16, 2005.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Doh!

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-nofly16aug16,1,1476569.story

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, read that. Lunacy.

100,000 on the "no-fly" list? And you don't even know you're on the list until you go to fly somewhere. Duh? A more complete article that I read this morning said that even the exact number of people on the list is secret. Double-duh.

There seem to be anti-terrorism experts crawling out from the woodwork, these days. I will say that I tend to give credibility to those from Israel. Anyhow, the consensus seems to be that most of TSA's doings are a big waste of time and money. From daily reporting of events at airports, I wouldn't argue a bit.

Ah, but I really feel safe, knowing that Big Nanny never rests from protecting me...

'Rat

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You'd better hope there's no terrorist called Desert Rat - or Deters Tar, or Defers Tax, or.....

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I wonder what level of authority these front-line airline and TSA employees have to make decisions about cases like these?

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Very little, I would assume. They're just following the rules, which just happen to be dumb.

I just returned from a trip that took me through Canada. Before boarding the airplane in Vancouver I had to show my passport no less than five times. In theory a photo ID is sufficient but it must be accompanied by a birth certificate, and nobody seems quite certain what type of copy of a birth certificate is acceptable. These are the very best kind of rules: as inflexible as they are vague.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

From info on another board, as much as I hate to admit it, this screwup is an airline-at-fault, not TSA.

TSA actually has a reg saying that this no-fly rule doesn't apply to infants and children, or some such wording.

But, this DOES illustrate the problem of information flow where there is such an incredible amount of verbiage in multitudinous regulations. For instance, how much schooling in the regulations would you expect to be affordable for a new-hire at the ticket counter? And a major part of the problem is that the regulations are written in bureaucratese, which is unintelligible to normal human beings.

'Rat

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, Big Nanny is actually a corporate entity?? Say it isn't so!

8. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By posting this, I wasn't trying to make a point about this being a government or an industry problem. Getting snared by government or corporate bureaucracy is an approximately equal frustration in my experience. Put them togther, and the problems become addititive. Between the TSA's rules and the industry's absurd implementation of these rules, travel is becoming increasingly inconvenient.

Another example from my recent trip: I set off the metal detector at the security checkpoint, so I was sent through a second time. I set it off again. Then I realized that I'd forgotten to take my cell phone out of my pocket. Too late. If you ring the bell twice, you're pulled aside for an automatic pat down. The TSA employee at the metal detector apparently doesn't have the authority to let you take the phone from your pocket and walk through a third time. Arbitrary rules enforced to the letter. No wonder we're becoming such grumpy travelers.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think Penn Gillette made a good point yesterday when he basically said if we are so willing to lose our freedom for the temporary perception of safety, we are disrepecting everyone who fought for that freedom. Hm, where have I heard that before? It's become cliched, but then the terrorists really do win, because we are so afraid that we are willing to give up the things that make us great. And you can't just spend your life being afraid.

That being said, there should be some caution and security when you fly. Maybe not the band-aid that makes us feel better but does nothing that they have now. But I don't mind a little inconvenience so I don't blow up. Stop checking the kiddies and the Grandma's, and who do you think they start strapping the bombs to?

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I can understand why they would want to keep some of those terrorist babies off the planes, because those organic waste weapons they download into their diapers can smell quite lethal in an enclosed space like an airplane.

Can't have pilots passing out from the smell can we?

Plus the babies are such threatening little bundles of joy ... then there are the 2 year olds, for them we'll probably need the National Guard to protect us.

Basically, quite a silly use of the no-fly list. :rolleyes:

11. mpw Guest

Hope I don't have any problems coming to Disney this summer with our four children. Little Gengis, Hitler, Osama & George are so looking forward to it.

12. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I saw an interview with the Ingrid (now 2) and her mother yesterday. they went to the airline ticket agent and they called someone in TSA that made the OK to let them on the plane. I imagine it was way up in the chain of command though. Also, they do have a policy to let kids go even if they are on the no fly list, just no one knows it. She also said the TSA said to use her daughters "nickname" next time she flys which she did. i felt that is kind of scary.

13. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No problem, just use nicknames. I suggest Slasher, Manson, Jason and Chuckie.