Even better than the Apple 23" HD Display?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by edesignuk, Jun 29, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This is one kick a$$ display!
    24.1" LCD from Sun Microsystems, same resolution as the 23" from Apple but a little bigger.
    Looks good to! What do u guys think of it?

oh...BTW...it costs $4,500!!!!! :eek:

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I would prefer a 23 with the same res, this is because the it will be higher quality, with a 24 and the same res it mean the pixals have been stretched etc...

Ensign

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Needing to get an adapter to use the Sun screen with a Mac is just so wrong (if you are already using the DVI port, if you have one at all). It uses a DVI connection, which means, to use Apple's ADC port, you need to strip it down. Also, you won't get just one cable running to the screen, like you do with Apple's monitor.

Apple has won the svelte design award (at least from me it has), where as the others have not.

Apple also sells the 23" HD for $3,499.00, which is a full grand cheaper then the sun one... A grand for just 1.1"??? Do you REALLY NEED that extra ~1"??? Didn't think so. :p :D

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I know what you mean, it may be well over priced, but all the same...it really is an amazing display! And i would love one if money were no issue.

6. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the 1.1" isnt the only thing that causes the price to be so much more. its got a bunch of ports for professional video users right on the monitor. s-video and c-video. one caveat tho, it says 24-bit color depth. it is my understanding that the apple display is 32-bit at the highest resolution. correct me if im wrong.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I wouldn't...

If money was no longer an issue for me, I would get the hottest PowerMac system, a pair of 23" HD's and attach them to it. I would probably also get another PCI video card (or two) and as many 23" HD displays as they will support and make either a wall, or arc of screens. Of course, this would all be inside my Mac room in the house I got built. :D

I would also have an Xserve or two for networking and such, with a Gb network backbone, T3 line coming into the house and anything else I can think of. :D

AppleCare on everything too, with UPS's up the whazoo.. :D

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

there is just one HUGE problem with that...

its not made by APPLE.

Apple makes thier own. Granted its slightly different. If Apple makes thier own why buy someone elses? If you cant afford apples then its not worth it buyin anyone elses.

dig it.

9. big macrumors 65816

big

that's the grossest looking picture I have seen for a monitor, and not worth the price.

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

well said! when will people learn...form follows funtion.... and we all know Apple is the only one in the computer world that is following that great concept.

dig it.

11. big macrumors 65816

big

hey thanks! you have my tastes! (and I want them back)

12. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

i too agree... the "feet" on it look so weird... id rather have the mac 23" any day...

13. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

For all you pixel junkies, this is still the best monitor in the world.

IBM T221

Check that resolution before you whinge about the design. It has also gone from $32,000 to $8,800 in 6 months!

Hopefully with all these moves into HD editing, this kind of pixel need will soon have cards/drivers for our little corner of the computing world.

Drool leaking off chin into keyboard...

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

OMG! That is the best display I have ever seen!
    It's doesn't have the design of the Apple HD Display but the resolution is insane!
    Shame it doesn't look a bit better :rolleyes:

15. big macrumors 65816

big

much better than that sun system, just cost prohibitive

16. big macrumors 65816

big

and what's tile mode & stripe mode? my monitor will do 1600x1200 at 75 mhz...not just 60 mhz

now that I look at it, that seems a little whacked

17. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I think it may be that the card it ships with is a Quad DVI card (DVI has some limitations), which pumps multiple DVI signals to draw the screen in tiles or stripes.

Also, LCD displays seem to be timed to work best at 60hz (since they inherently don't flicker). I have 2 LCDs and a CRT on my G4, and both LCDs look worse if I up the timing.

I've seen one of these at full resolution, and since I have about 20/8 vision, I got a chubby. For anyone with less than perfect vision, 22" is too small for the pixels. Mouse is only about 1/8" unless resized, etc.

But if they put this res onto a 42" peice of motherglass, I'd retire my 3 monitor setup, and live happily ever after!

18. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

Damn, that thing looks like a duck with those feet. It's soooo lame

19. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

:eek: :eek: Just a LITTLE too much info there sparky... :D

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I like duck, they taste real good if done right (which I know how to do). :D

21. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Duck, the other dark meat... :D

I do a mean duck, and I am NOT talking about using it in the wrong way. :eek: :eek: :p :D

23. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Apple sells their 23" display for a full rand more than their 22" display :p Of course, the 23" display has a higher resolution, and better stuff... The sun one is a little expensive, it looks weird, and the pixels are bigger... I have an iBook with the 12" screen and 1024x768 resolution, and whenever I look at a display that's bigger with the same resolution, it annoys me because it's not as sharp. I love my iBook display :D It's actually a pretty decent display for a 12" screen, and any higher resolution would make text unreadable... I think Apple wins with their 23" display. Now, that IBM one is a whole other story :D

24. big macrumors 65816

big

just traded my iBook from 12 to 14" and WOW! first the case feels a little unweildy (I was use to such a small one, and the keys were much closer to the edge)

however, now that I've seen the 14", I couldn't go back. it almost looks like the res, is better too, though I can't compare the two anymore.