Even more Abu Ghraib

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 21, 2006.

1. aquajet macrumors 68020

If there is indeed a God, and a Heaven, and a Hell, I can't help but think the degenerates responsible for such deplorable behavior, including the Bush administration, the Pentagon, the soldiers and any others, will burn in Hell for Eternity as punishment for their misdeeds.

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Amen. :rolleyes:

3. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Ugh. Here's what I don't get about the bloodied floor (and partially wall) pictures. How the hell is a leg wound going to bleed so much that it literally looks like a mop pulled red paint across the floor?

Why can't they just throw them in a dank cell and provide water and bread, and nothing else? Do they really have to torture these people?

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't even know what to say about this!

It's completely preposterous that they could be so... ____. I have toyed with a couple of words to fill in the blank, including stupid, immature, childish, but I think the word that fits the best is evil. It's sick, twisted, gross, and evil.

It gives me the tiniest, slightest, most miniscule bit of peace of mind that the only people that could do such things are people who are completely miserable and unhappy with themselves. It's like in grade school when the insecure kids put down other kids because at least they'll think they are better than somebody. Not that they are getting what they deserve, or anything close to it.

e

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

would it make it better or worse if they were following orders?

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

I can't decide which is worse; a soldier who engages in such behavior of his own accord, or one who is selfish enough to follow the order out of fear of dereliction of duty.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think it's worse if they are following orders just because it's completely gross that someone ordered it, and then it's also gross that they followed it through.

e

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i haven't decided yet. in a way, it's less reprehensible if it was ordered, because maybe that means that fewer people condone it. i.e. in this scenario, it means a number of the perpetrators are fully disgusted by their own actions.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't know, it looks like some of them were willing participants. Told to do whatever it takes, any means necessary and all that, and took it to the extreme, with their direct superiors encouraging it and the higher ups at best allowing it and at worst ordering it to go further. The soldiers I know would rather be thrown in jail or beaten up themselves rather than do these sorts of things (I would hope), but I've been told they've had to do some pretty bad things they wouldn't have normally. The part that scares me is that a large percentage of the American population either doesn't care or is perfectly ok with it.

10. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Hey scem0 nice to see you on here a little again. Missed seeing you around!

Anyhow to my point for posting. I hope that you all don't think EVERY soldier acts like these soldiers did. Most do NOT act like these people did. I hate nothing more then people who do things like this and give all soldiers a bad name. I spent a year in Iraq and one of the missions my Battalion had was to run a detention facility and I can assure you, this is NOT how we ran ours. We followed every regulation and always treated prisoners humanely. If there were any issues with the soldiers not doing the right thing our leadership dealt with them HARSHLY.

Since I got back from Iraq our school Librarian where I teach was arrested for growing pot in her basement. We were very mad because for it gave us a bad name even though the rest of the staff would never think of doing such a thing. She resigned the day after she was caught and we have moved on and started to regain the respect of the community. What happened at our school is no different then this. I just want to make sure that everyone on here does not just make statements that lay the blame on everyone when that is not the case.