Even More Claims: iPhone 5 Launch on October 7th, No iPad 3 Until 2012

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 12, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Claims of media event and launch dates for the iPhone 5 have quickly accelerated as attention turns toward the window for such an event, which is likely to open in just a few weeks. Just today, a claim of a September 7th media event appeared and was quickly debunked, and other rumors of an iPhone 5 launch for September or even as far out as late October have also been swirling.

TiPb now weighs in with a claim that Apple's next-generation iPhone "could" debut on Friday, October 7th in the United States, although the source for the rumored date is unclear. The report also suggests that the next iPhone is more likely to be an "iPhone 4S" based on the iPhone 4 than a completely revamped "iPhone 5", although it acknowledges that there is still considerable confusion over the issue and that Apple could be preparing to release both models.
    According to the report's source, Apple will not be introducing a new iPad this fall, having decided to push things back to the original yearly timetable and release the iPad 3 early next year.

TiPb has not been a source for product rumors in the past and expresses a healthy amount of skepticism about its own report, and so we are covering this story on our iOS Blog for the time being.

Article Link: Even More Claims: iPhone 5 Launch on October 7th, No iPad 3 Until 2012
  2. macrumors member

Feb 21, 2008

My iPhone is dying... I was hardly able to wait for the rumored mid-Sept launch. Any longer and I may die of anxiety. Oh, well. We never really will know until Apple launches, I guess.
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2006
    This is getting hilarious. Announcement coming in September, available soon after. As you were people.
  4. macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2007
    I guess you could say

they were out of their element.
  5. macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2007
    These rumors are getting more annoying than usual... Flip flopping too fast for me!
  6. macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004
    Arlington, VA
    *gasp* You mean when Apple said that 2011 was the year of iPad 2, it could have been telling...the truth? I'm shocked! Shocked, I say! :rolleyes:
  7. macrumors 6502a

Nov 11, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; nl-nl) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

For me, this is one of the more plausible rumors.
  8. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    I don’t take any of these rumors very seriously, but my common sense likes this one!
  9. macrumors 603

Oct 14, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Yes, yes it could (I suppose).

It Could be an iPhone 4S or it Could be an iPhone 5
    It Could be September or it Could be October
    It Could be on Friday or it Could be a different day of the week
    It Could be a thinner design or it Could be the same design
  10. macrumors 65816

May 21, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Anyone who really thinks there would be a 3rd gen iPad in 2011 needs to pass whatever they're smoking this way.
  11. macrumors regular

May 20, 2010
    October 7 would make a nice birthday pressie for me :cool:
  12. bb426, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2011
    These flying rumors are great examples of where one should wait and find out more information before opening their mouth. I think I've seen about 4 articles just today about this? Hah. Rumors or not, it's ridiculous (and amusing :) )

I bet :apple: is reading this and laughing their a**es off right now.

We have about 10 different possible combinations of rumored releases happening in the next 6 months. iPhone (insert number and or letter(s) here) in September/October, iPad (insert number and or letter(s) here) in September/October/Winter/Spring, etc. No one has any idea about designs -or names- obviously, except the ARM processor. I'd say we haven't learned anything new since after the iPhone 4 was released, except that there was no summer release. Because it's August now.

Notice how there have been NO rumors about any new iPods? Everyone's so caught up with the next iPhone it's just depressing.

I say wait until it actually happens. It'll save the anxiety.
  13. macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2010
    Apple is has more rumors planned on september 7 2011, iRumor 2 will be released next year with a possible upgraded untrue engine.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

naah that was just a rumor too....

14. macrumors 68000

Dec 13, 2010
  15. macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2002
    Breaking news! My inside sources say they will both be released sometime in the next 1 to 12 months!
  16. macrumors 65816

Feb 3, 2011
    ughhhhh.. more of these complicated rumours.. I know this is macRUMORS haha, but still comonnnn
  17. macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Mar 12, 2010
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Depending on the prices and features, the iPhone 4s may be a good buy for those of us on the "odd numbered" phone plan (original -> 3GS -> ?).

Unlike the tablet arena, there is a lot of competition in the phone market. It would be nice for Apple to extend their pricing to a wider range with maybe a free/prepaid 3GS, a low priced iPhone 4, and a top of the line iPhone 4s (or 5).

That would help compete with some of the low-spec, low-cost Android models out there.

As far as the iPad 3 goes, I would rather see more work on iCloud services and iOS 6 honestly. I think the iPad 2 is a great match for iOS 5. No need for new hardware right now, especially with the lackluster competition.
  18. macrumors 68040

Apr 18, 2011
  19. macrumors 68000

Mar 15, 2010
    THis rumor was just to get Samsung to publicly commit to the US s2 launch. It worked.
  20. macrumors 6502

Nov 24, 2009
    NEW Jersey / USA
    So, sometime in the fall we'll see the iPhone 5. Ok.
  21. macrumors member

Nov 28, 2004
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

As much as I'd love to have a 2048x1636 iPad 3, I just can't see how Apple could possibly get a screen like that plus the graphical power to run it and enough battery to power it for 10 hours at any kind of consumer price. I guess the fact that they're already selling a device with a 9.7" IPS display for $500 is pretty amazing, when $2000 laptops don't even have IPS.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jul 25, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I agree. Like most people, I enjoy a good MacRumor. But when claims and counter-claims fly every 12 hours it gets annoying pretty fast.

On the other hand, I think we can glean one thing from all this: Apple is NOT letting the same iPhone 4 debacle happen again! They've probably got the "iPhone 5" on lock-down like never before :cool:

I think the key is to never get your hopes up haha
  23. macrumors 65816

May 21, 2009
    Interesting commentary. Debacle, you say? Is that what you call it when a company releases the best smartphone on the market?

If you owned an iPhone 4 and used it on a daily basis you wouldnt be singing this tune. It's still the best smartphone out there for my money. Best screen, best battery life, best apps. Enough said.
  24. macrumors 65816

Jul 5, 2002
    He was referring to the premature design reveal due to a prototype of the iPhone being lost/forgotten/stolen in a bar by a poor Apple fella named Gary Powell (iirc). Gizmodo eventually aquired the device and presented it to the public before official introduction. This time Apple obviously won't let that happen again...
  25. macrumors regular

Apr 8, 2010
    Unlike Samsung, HP and the rest, Apple doesn't seem to develop new products because of the competition. Just look at Mac Mini, AppleTV, iMac, MacBook Air, iPads, iPhones. The last two are markets that Apple created.