Even worse than lack of 3G, the phone is too large...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The new member, Jan 22, 2007.

1. The new member macrumors member

Jan 22, 2007
    This is a fact. Four years ago, the most advanced smartphone ever, Sony-Ericsson P800, failed to be a mass product because it was too large. Same thing will happen to Apple iPhone :(

Here in Europe (UK, Germany, France, Italy, ...) people hate large phones. What about in the USA?
  2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    I wouldn't care about the size. That screen is really nice. I would just use the blue tooth headset all the time, then it doesn't really matter as much how big the phone is.

I will say though that Apple is going to have to make a "simpler" consumer phone though. I see an iPhone Nano on the horizon...
  3. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
    I agree to an extent...

I believe that apple shoud release an iPhone mini along with the regular iPhone, at a more normal size...
  4. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    It doesn't look that much bigger than a Razr. I've seen comparison shots. Don't get me wrong, it's quite obviously bigger than a Razr, but just by like 1cm-2cm on each side.

Most smart phones (Treo, etc.) look pretty big too. Especially with their stupid antenna...
  5. The new member thread starter macrumors member

Jan 22, 2007
    I hope too! Cannot put such a brick in my trousers. Especially in summer..
  6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
  7. The new member thread starter macrumors member

Jan 22, 2007
    This is why mobile phone market is quite different in Europe. We do prefer small phones. Here in Europe we have 3G network in every countries since 2 years and even our 3G phones are small. iPhone has a too large form factor for our customer requirements.
  8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    But its not just a phone. I think as a first offering its quite cool, but if you look at the changes in the iPod since its first version its much smaller/thinner/etc.

Give it some time and it will be even better. The thing is, I wouldn't want it much smaller since you want to have a big screen - there has to be a trade off at some point.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Rubbish - 3G is only really starting to come into its own. I pick up a new phone every year and my N73 is the first one where I've bothered getting a 3G handset or card and it was an afterthought. There's still not enough compelling content and the networks (aside from T-mobile) need to sort out their data rates. In all honesty, until very recently, it was 3G handsets which were too big to be attractive for the features they offered.

I'm in Europe and the problem with the P800/P900 (which I owned) was that it was bulky. The iPhone isn't. It's thin and that's the difference - it's also probably less likely to crash regularly which is what narked me with my p800. Looking at my current N73 and the iPhone pictures side by side, the iPhone looks far more sleek and pocketable.
  10. RichP macrumors 68000

Jun 30, 2003
    Motor City
    Thats the thing that bothers me about the nokia phones (E61 excluded) is that they are THICK phones. I had a Moto Razr, and now I am using a Samsung Blackjack SGH-i607 (112 X 58 X 13 mm; although its more like 11mm or so thick, because the 13 is from a small camera protrusion on the back). It is roughly the same size as the iphone. I often carry my phone in front jeans pocket, and can say that there is little difference between the Blackjack and the Razr, in terms of "pocketability" However, the Nokias were too thick to pocket, even though their length and width is less.

I think the size is about perfect. Honestly, its smaller than you think.
  11. The new member thread starter macrumors member

Jan 22, 2007

I live in France and we have 3G network since Q4 2005. In UK and Italy since 2003. So what?

BTW I confirm what a friend (who is working for a phone retailler) told me: iPhone is too large :(

As a proof, people don't want to walk in the street with a 30Gb iPod because the device is too large. They do prefer iPod nano so far. And if you consider the iPhone even bigger than a 30Gb iPod... so.
  12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    lol finally something we can complain about that can not be debated to much.
    I had not though about it much but the size of the iPhone is a HUGE turn off for me.

The iPhone is 0.4 inches longer than the 30gig iPhone and it is .03 in more in dept. Same width and weight (2.4in and 4.8 oz) all specs yank from apple website.

For me that is just 2 big for something I like to carry in my pocket. Hell I do not like carrying my iPod around in my pocket because it is a little on the heavy side and it is 2 big. I like the smaller cell phones. My current cell phone is 3.2 x 1.8 x 0.9 and 3.3 oz. For me that is a good size. All measurement when the phone is closed are pretty small. That is a huge reason why I like flip phones is they are much more compacted when not in used.
    For people thinking about the iPhone think about where you put your current cell phone (for most guys that is your pocket) and instead of that being in imagine always carrying around your iPod. It be quite a bit heavier and it will be a lot larger in size than what most people currently have.

I really do think a lot of people will be turn off by the size of the phone because it is little large to be among the items people almost always take with them (keys, wallet, cell phone) and any of those 3 getting bulky to me would drive me nuts.
  13. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    A mate in a phone shop and a pal who doesn't want to carry an iPod isn't proof. It's your opinion and not fact.

Most people buy a Nano rather than a full-size iPod because it's cheaper and because they don't have 30GB of music to fill it up - there are several reports which suggest that the average person has less than 500 songs on their MP3 players. In Europe, there's also a lack of video content so why bother unless you're tech-savvy enough to encode your own.

So... if you think it's too big, then don't buy one. I suspect that more people will be put off by the pricing/network than the size. And, remember, that there are 9 months before this will appear in Europe - that's enough time for 3G to appear in a second revision for Europe and Asia.
  14. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    well, ppl, wait...
    I know negative things will float to the surface when ppl have hands on it. But u guys at least wait until it comes out. large or not, are subjective. wait and see.
  15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    not exactly. I do not like carrier around my iPod in my pocket because it is to large and heavy for it. I like my iPod but it just not an object I carry with me every where I go because it is a little large to be a daily object like that. it ok to carry it around some time but simple truth of the matter is the iPod is a little large for people to want to carrier with them everywhere.
    My brother and sister are the same way. One reason the Mini and the nano are doing/did so well is because they where smaller and lighter. They where smalled enough to be an object that is carried in the pockets for a lot of stuff. Light enough to go running and work out in. Smaller cell phones are ok for running in because they are small in size.

A lot of people do not like the current smart phones on the market because they are 2 big in size. That is one huge reason why I do not know a smart phone. they are just to big.

if you want some more concrete proof to work with. Look at how well small cells phones have historically sold. Even when where more expensive and had less features. People like the small cell phones because they are small. the size of the iPhone will be a huge turn off for a lot of people.
  16. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    This is the third negative iPhone thread started by a newbie

People don't feed the trolls.
  17. Project macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    Yeah its big compared to small form factor phones, but at the same time it will be replacing the iPod in my pocket, which I ALWAYS carry around.
  18. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    Have any of the people that are complaining about the size of the phone actually seen it in person?
  19. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    take a hike troll
  20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    a lot of us really do not have 2. I for example have a really good size comparison sitting right next to me on my desk and that happens to be my iPod.
    And for me my iPod is to large for an object I would take with me almost everyone. I am 100% sure an object the size of the iPhone I would dislike even more. Any one who is like me in that case would know that this phone is 2 large for them.

Top it off the iPhone is to wide for my to comfortably use it as a phone and that much I can tell just off my iPod. I can easly translate an object that almost the same size and weight as the ipod. the only difference between the 2 is the iPhone is 0.4 inches longer than the 30gig iPod.

From that any one who owns an iPod can easily get a good feel for what they would think of the iPhone. try holding it your hand and see how it would feel holding it next to your head. it is almost the exact same the size and weight and close enough for an good comparison.

and from the iPod test I can tell you that it is just way to large for my taste.
  21. phuong macrumors 6502a

Aug 16, 2006
    like i said in the other thread, i'll consider the iPhone once they release the nano version of it. i dont mind some features that only work better on larger screens being stripped off.

cellphones, that's probably the only thing a man don't want it big!
  22. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    Hey, be nice.

I'd much rather argue/discuss size/network/whatever than sit around and post multiple bulletins about how great all apple products are.

Anyway, I think that size is totally in the eye of the beholder (cue lube joke).
    There are people who love 17in MBPs and those who buy 12 inchers because they could never carry around anything bigger. Again, there are those who use treos and carry them everywhere, and there are those in the RAZR and BlackJack camp who only like smaller phones.

However, there are two distinct advantages and disadvantages here. Small size gets you great pocketability but little in the way of features- Just try comparing a RAZR and a Treo. The bigger phones give you great features but are huge. I think the iPhone struck a nice balance by giving great features, a big screen, and tackling size in the most important part- the thickness.

In the end, this is all going to be up to the end consumer. For you, the iPhone may be a monster- and accordingly, you won't buy it. For some, especially those coming from BlackBerries and Treos, this is a device with all the features they need and half the weight and thickness- and so they will buy it. As with any product, there are those who will love it and those who will hate it, and nothing you can say will convince the other camp.
  23. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    You don't have to guess. The iPhone's physical dimensions are available here for all to see. Its dimensions are 4.5" x 2.4" x .46." When folded, the MOTORAZR™'s dimensions are 3.86" x 2.08" x 0.54." The iPhone is clearly larger, but you won't need bearers to carry it for you.
  24. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    It's not that big. I was at MacWorld, I saw it in person. It looks smaller than a Treo (even though it's about the same size, but thinner). Pics online don't do it justice.
  25. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    I think it being large is a good thing. Thin phones such as the RAZR are awkward to hold.