Ever been hit by lightening?

Discussion in 'Community' started by billyboy, Aug 24, 2003.

1. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

I guess if you have personally been zapped from the heavens you wont be posting, but I was wondering about your computer stuff.

A strorm was brewing in the mountains where I live and I kept working trying to just get something finished. I have a surge protector, but had a feeling I should disconnect, so pulled the power on the PB, and a couple of seconds later the external hard drive and speakers buzzed and went out, so I yanked plugs out the wall and prayed. They were recent upgrades and I realised they werent actually surge protected, der Andy.

When I restarted everything my hub and internet connection were stuffed and I thought Id been hit. Luckily I found out that in my frantic efforts to disconnect, the connections to the modem and hub were not quite in place. Good old Mac recognised everything instantly, and everything OK, nothing damaged.

My old man lost half the internal workings of his PC when his arial was struck by lightening.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

3 times, seems i live in area with a lot of thunderstorms and my local provider is allways zapping me.1 time is struck near the house and right after the boom i could hear my ethernet card zapping & frying.anyways think god i have a powermac so its just a matter of a $25 ethernet card. anyways i now unplug my ethernet whenever a storm is around. another advantage of a upgradeable computer, if i had been using a imac or emac that would have been the end of my ethernet.

3. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

A few times. I surge all the power, but I usually get zapped over the modem or now the cable modem.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I once got shocked while installing tub lighting at an old retail store where I used to work...that was freaky... :eek:

as for lightning...nah...not yet... ;)

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

when i was little, my parents' house was hit, everything was unplugged except the microwave, which they were going for next... Anyway, lightning hit, a few crackles and pops, and a fireball started to form inside the microwave. It got a little larger than say, one's fist, and hovered there for a while before floating out through the door and disappearing. Kinda freaky. They still have that microwave, worked better than ever afterwords.

pnw

6. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

no lightning for me either yet. and hopefully never. i think i don't want my heart fried. :eek:

7. Independence macrumors regular

weird. that's all i can really say about that. :)

8. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

my house was hit when i was in high school. it was in the back middle, and it blew off a few shingles, otherwise no electrical damage or anything. the next morning our neighbors were asking us what the hell happened, and we had no clue -- we slept through it.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I personally have not been struck by lightning. Don't even know anyone that has. Only from news accounts, a golf course sounds like a very dangerous place.

I have all my equipment on surge protectors, thank you APC. The current one that I have with my Power Mac protects the 56K Modem and the DSL Modem!

10. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Once lightning struck my neighbours pool. I watched it happen.

The only thing that died was my craptacular motorola modem that only worked half the time anyway in my pos pc. But that was a few years ago...

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

My surge protector fried when the power blew before the major Power Outage... last time I use that one.

It went ZZAAAAPPP :pow tink tink POW POP:

None of the non-surge protector, or surge protector equipment was destroyied execpt that... haha.

I got shocked by my fan when pulling it out... damn fan.

But the best microwave story was I had a chicken nugget box (McDonalds) and a peice of the Sweet n' Sour Sauce rapper (which is metal) got stuck to the box which out me knowing.

I popped it in and turned it on and Zzzzaaaappp.

the Box lit up in flames after the top and the bottom on the microwave created electricity that shocked the box from top and bottom...

It was fun for all.
    :eek:

12. Dros macrumors 6502

Re: Ever been hit by lightening?

"Ever been hit by lightening?"

Or ever been hit by the far more dangerous contrasting?

13. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

Re: Re: Ever been hit by lightening?

Bahahahahahaha! Good one, Dros.

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

My house was hit in the middle of the night, once when I was living in NZ - the car alarm went sczhitso, the dog went mad, and we lost just about EVERY electrical appliance in the house - right down to the toaster. The insurance company had a big payout that week...

I remember waking up to the flash, and the bang occurring virtually instantaneously. Odd thing - I was sleeping face-down in the pillow - yet the flash was so intense...

Sort of reminded me of a story I once saw on a documentary (National Geographic: "Atomic Filmmakers") - this old guy used to film atomic explosions, and recounted how he was flying over Ground Zero (obviously quite high up). The order was given, at a 5 second countdown to the blast, to put on their safety eyewear (which were basically welder's goggles). As he did so, the lenses fell out, and there he was - looking directly down on the blast site, next to his camera, in the underbelly of the aircraft. The only thing he could do was to put his hand to his eyes, and shut them tightly. At that instant, the bomb exploded, and he had a view of every bone in his hand...

I learned my lesson from the lightning strike. Since then, I've got surge protectors on EVERY vital piece of electrical equipment I own.

15. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Never been hit by lightning, but i did get zapped by a short circuting soldering iron once... i was dipping it into water, trying to clean it, but i forgot it was plugged in.

Luckily, it was real low voltage, and for only about a second, so i was fine.

16. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Re: Re: Ever been hit by lightening?

i was once desaturated and rasterized... that was a bitch too.