Ever been Knocked Out?

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacAztec, Jul 11, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Well? I think I may have been knocked out for my first time today at football practice (no pads allowed yet). I have been hit pretty damn hard (blindsighted) in my back, I play Quarterback, but never knocked out (i don't think atleast).

So, today, for those of you that know football, I was playing Safety (Cover 2 Defense, so there were 2 Safeties, we were splitting the field in half). A reciever ran a post that split right between us, and the ball was thrown to him. We (me and the other safety) ran for the ball, he jumped, my face went into his chest, and I was flatbacked. He was 198, I weigh 165.

It was weird, everything was black, and I heard people talking, then someone lifted me up, and I opened my eyes, and my nose was gushing with blood. I just sat out the rest of practice, but damn, my neck hurts now!

Anyways, any good stories out there?
  2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    nope....worst sport injury was getting hit with a hockey puck(thank god i had my cup on) lucky the kid had a very weak slapshot ;) :p
    Also i broke my finger twice playing basket ball. Ball came down and my finger was in the way. ( it was a hair-line fracture both times) :cool:
  3. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Haha, weird thing is, I have never ever broken a bone. I came close one time when i got my ankle bent a really weird way, hurt bad, but not broken (fortunately!)
  4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    back in JR high I take a kickoff return in practice with no blockers. I have a quick helmet to helmet hit with a fellow teamate and I fell. I felt fine and though nothing was wrong..but when I got up my legs weren't there and I would have fallen if my teamate wasn't there to pick me up. Bigger collisions lead to blacking out totally but any sharp concussive hit will be enough to daze you.

I watch boxing a lot and many boxer described being knocked silly as akin to being underwater or having things slow down.

Sounds like you had your head snapped backed causing a sort of whiplash. Get well man.
  5. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    I've never been knocked out, but I've had the privelidge of knocking out a few people. My brother and I got in a fight one day and I landed what may be the greatest punch of my entire life and knocked him to the ground. He tried to get up, but stumbled a few steps and fell. Then, he tried to get up again and fell. Then he managed to stumble to the fence and cling onto it for a while. BOO YAH!

I have taken a few decent shots playing football and have even been a little woozy a few times, but never out.

I did manage to totally knock out a guy catching a flutter pass one day. It was in the air for what seemed like an eternity and while he was looking up to catch it, I buried my shoulder in his chest at full speed. He hit the ground hard and was out like a light. I was pretty scared, actually, because I thought maybe he was dead. He woke up within a minute and set out the rest of the day.
  6. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Been KO'd a couple times...Once playing soccer (or real football, for our international readers ;) ), playing wing I was charging a defender while the ball was coming over my head from behind. The ball landed, only he got to it first and blasted a kick that caught me in the face while I was going the opposite direction. My legs kept going and my head stopped, so I landed on my back with the wind knocked out of me. I guess I laid still for 5 seconds or so, but I just remember the ball coming towards me and then seeing the sky come into focus ahead of me. Left the imprint of my teeth on the insides of my gums for about 3 weeks too.

The other time was when I was sparring with a buddy of mine after karate class one day. I got careless and took a padded shin to my padded head and it still knocked me down and out. Saw the stars that time and felt my legs leave me but there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. Got up and shook it off, but I was done in the ring for the day.
  7. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2002
    In high school I was riding a mountain bike down a paved trail, cement was wet...there was a bump, I fell and smacked my temple on the cement. Everything the rest of the day was and is fuzzy. I think someone came along and helped me up, but I kind of remember waking up with someone over me...so if I had been completely out, like I think I was, I don't think someone would have just woken me up and then jogged off, so I can't verify that someone was standing over me when I woke up.

I walked the bike home. We had moved there about 8 months prior, and I couldn't remember how to get home. I remember people passing me and asking if I was alright since I had blood on the side of my face...I was walking in a daze and remember having tunnel vision, with all of my peripheral vision fading to black at the edges. I kept walking until I realized I wasn't going to be able to get home, so I saw an open garage with someone inside. I walked in and asked them for help. They helped me inside and got me some water. They asked my phone number, couldn't remember.

This was where things got really weird...My address was something like 1054 Spring Hill. She asked me my address, and I couldn't remember it. But I could remember "1054 Spring Hill" but couldn't remember that that was AN address, much less MY address...at the time it just seemed like some abstract piece of information that I didn't understand. She figureed it was probably my address, so she called an ambulance to pick me up...they cleaned me up a little and made sure I was ok...by this time I was starting to come back to reality. They dropped me off, my mom took me to buy some pain medication, and I don't remember a damn thing about the rest of the day.
  8. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    I have never been knocked out fully, even though I did get hit pretty hard when I played football. Hardest was when I got blindsided by a guard. That wasn't all that fun...
  9. atszyman macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2003
    The Dallas 'burbs
    I've only been knocked out once, I have more than one self induced blackouts though but those are more stories for the drunk threads...

6th grade, (Good God has it really been 16 years?), they sent us out to play touch football on glare ice. I got out of lunch early, was goofing off and smacked my head good on the ice. I crawled over to the side put my head down and came to a couple minutes later. I later found out, after getting sick in the car on the way to the emergency room, that I gave myself a concussion.
  10. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    Never been knocked out here... A kid on my baseball team in Little League was playing first base. There was a routine groundball hit to the shortstop who made a clean play and threw to first. But the sun was in the first baseman's eyes and he couldn't see a thing. He had his glove extended but the ball missed his glove and hit him on the chin. He was knocked cold and had to be helped to the dugout after. Funny thing I remember is his dad went out to help him and was kind of chuckling about it when he saw his kid was OK.
  11. G5orbust macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2002
    When I got in my car accident and my face hit the airbag pretty hard, I was really quite out of it for a couple minutes (like not really noticing the passage of time type out of it), but I have yet to be totally knocked the hell out, though I have been hit pretty hard in other things.
  12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I walked into a chinning bar once, which my brother had put up in a doorway. I remember hearing a thud, opening my eyes, and finding that I was on the floor. It might have been only a split second, however. I had no way to know if was longer than that.

I couldn't even say "you shoulda seen the other guy". :(
  13. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I was 10, someone punched me in the stomach. Kneeled over in pain and desperately trying to catch my breath. 10 minutes later, I fully recovered.
  14. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Hehe, got the wind knocked out of you! That can be painful.

I have a crazy story about my good friend getting knocked out...on Christmas Eve! Let me give you a backround on the family first. The mom and dad are divorced, she had 3 boys, they all live with the mom. One is 22, out of the house, the other is 18, about to go to college, and the other (my friend) is 17. They are all very athletic, very short tempered, and well built guys. Very competetive.

So anyways, my buddy was playing some online poker on christmas eve, and his mom kept nagging him to take out trash. He was getting pissed, and said "alright god damn, leave me alone". his older bro got pissed when he said this, came into the room, and they got in an argument. about 1 minute later, the older bro hit my friend one time in the face, knocked him out cold on the tile, he woke up in the hospital. had to stay their until 4AM on Christmas.

the older bro is known for one hit KOs. He isn't necessarily a fighter, but he does get into a lot of fights, and they all end with him knockin someone out. i saw my friend 3 days after it happened, his face was swollen, black eye, and broken nose!
  15. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I got knocked out in school when I was younger. We played soccer in a break between lessons and our team shot a goal. I hit the ball again, but also hit the hand of a guy who wanted to take up the ball. He got angry and and I turned around to apologize, but before I could, I had his fist in my face.

Everything went black and I saw stars, then I found myself lying on the ground. I got a nice black eye for some time from this incident.
  16. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Umm.. one time I had surgery, so they knocked me out to do it? does that count?

Oh yea!! one time when I was in the hospital, they didn't get me my morphine quick enough and I passed out from pain due to kidney stones. I'm SO hardcore. HAhahaha.
  17. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I'm not sure how many times I've been K.O, Playing soccer :mad: , Mountainbike downhill :cool: (@ 70 kph) , fighting :( , Baseball :eek: , Accident with my bike on the street :eek: ... it's crazy how many injuries one can count on my body... I live! Yeah, I live!!! ;)
  18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I got hit by a truck while jogging once. Don't really remember it thankfully but the driver sped off (as fast as trucks can) so I never got to slap him up. :(

No real damage though aside from two dislocated knees, a broken leg and some pretty bruises/lumps.
  19. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    One of my earliest memories is waking up after getting knocked out (the only time it's ever happened to me). I would have been three at the time and get knocked out at playschool. Us crazy kids were playing swinging each other around, and the girl who was swinging me let go of my hands – I flew backwards and cracked the back of my head on a desk.

That's right everyone – I got knocked out by a three year old girl! Let the mocking commence! :D
  20. Jesus macrumors 6502

once, playing rugby, i tackled someone wrong and i dented my right cheekbone on his shin. i got tunnel vision and got seriously light headed, and then theatrically collapsed at the edge of the pitch for some time, concious, but is severe pain. for ages my face felt dented, and i got a super-duper black eye.

21. fistful macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    Fell head first down a about a 20 step flight of stairs from tripping on a boot. I don't remember being knocked out but my friend told me I tried to stand up at the bottom then fell over and didn't respond for about 10 seconds before I crawled over to the couch.
  22. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

Apr 4, 2004
    Bay Area
    lol, good choice for a name.
  23. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Apr 1, 2005
    Back in the day, I had a laughable job working 3rd shift in a plastics manufacturing plant. My job was to run a machine that imprinted "CRUISE CONTROL" on the cruise control activation switch for Chrysler vehicles.

I got my hand caught in the hydraulic machine. It didn't hurt at first -- mostly I recall being stunned to see my hand trapped.

I reacted quickly to turn off the machine and free my hand. No visible damage, but then the pain started and moved through my body.

Next thing I knew.... I was back in high school and someone was repeatedly calling my name. "Oh, no!," I thought. "I fell asleep in class."

Nope. I'd passed out.
  24. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I pray that you are better now MacAztec. Hopefully you were checked out by a physician. It is even more important when a person looses consciousness. Also the possibility of any internal injuries.

I remember taking care of patients with kidney stones. It was compared to the pain of giving birth. Glad to hear that you were allowed pain medication. I remember a couple of times that the physician wouldn't allow any pain medication. It was due to wanting to make the proper decision about surgery. That was a rough night for both of us.

I was knocked out once when I fell off my bicycle. It was back in the middle '60's no helmet. Remember waking up in the ambulance with my Mom. Spent the night in the hospital.
  25. iDM macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE

Someone put me in a choke hold one time during a party, blacked out, woke up with everyone in a circle around me.

I got jumped once by two guys, one hit and i was out like a light, but didn't get anything taken considering i had all my personals on me(watch, wallet, cell, pda).

And last but not least I landed weird after jumping on my snowboard and hit my head on the downside of the jump and definitely blacked out for a bit.

Now that I put all those experiences together, it explains why i must have to study 10 times harder then everyone else.