Ever been prescribed Vicodin?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mechcozmo, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm doing a paper on Vicodin right now, and I wanted to see if any of my buddies here on MR had some experience with it. You would get quoted for the paper, and maybe a nice sentence on how nice the MacRumors people are for helping me out.

So.

Have you ever been prescribed Vicodin, why, and how did you feel [big part].

Thanks in advance.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've not been prescribed it, but i was dating a woman w/ a bad back and an irresponsible doctor who'd phone in a vicodin prescription whenever she wanted. she was addicted to the stuff and gave me a handful to take for my headaches (i never did).

her favorite trick was to down a couple, pass out in a chair, and have me watch her kids. yeah, that relationship didn't last long.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I've had it several times, mostly before/after dental work. Stuff is highly, highly addictive-- I've been addicted twice (i define addiction as having symptoms of withdrawl so bad that one has irrational thoughts/attempts to obtain more). This after about one week of use each time. I can't even say it killed the pain very well, it still left me with a lot. But I was so stoned, I didn't care... the buzz is great, very euphoric.

needless to say, i usually ask for something like tylenol-3 instead now (codeine isn't nearly as addictive for me). I think all painkillers affect people differently, as I've heard just the opposite from many people.

edit: the dosing that had me addicted was two tablets of 5/500 (5mg hydrocodone, 500 ibuprofin) every 4-6 hours as needed. the dental work i had done was 2 root canals, wisdom teeth removal, and had work done on my jaw)

paul

4. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i've been prescribed vicodin twice, once after a root canal and the other after a kidney stone. both times the pill made me extremely nauseous and seemed to have little effect on the pain. i'd much rather have tylenol 4 w/ morphine...that stuff works!

anyway, i guess i could sum up my feelings about vicodin by saying i've thrown away more tablets of the stuff than i've taken. blech!

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

A friend of mine, whose dad is a pharmacist and mom is a family doctor, has taken this on more than one occasion. His take on it was, in exact words, "synthetic heroin". He said it left him with nearly the same feeling.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I had two foot surgeries and was prescribed vicodin after each. the lighter dosage didn't affect me that much worked like a regualr pain releiver except better, killed most of my pain, the larger dosage would knock me out, and i'm a big enough guy where it takes many beers to get me drunk so it was very strong. I'd also sometimes take one at 8pm and then wake up at 3am wired.

7. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I was prescribed Vicodin after getting my wisdom teeth pulled a couple of months ago. I took it for two days, and it didn't do anything for the pain, so I stopped. I was aware that it's highly addictive, so I was extra careful when I did take it.

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Honestly, I've taken it more than a few times... Usually after dental work... To me it works on the pain & actually makes me speed... Some people say it makes them tired, but I find the exact opposite... It also makes me all tingly & itchty, similar to percocet, but not as much... When I'm taking it for a few days it makes me very happy & easy going- when I'm done taking it for a few days it makes me a little irritable... I don't find it hard to get off of it, or go on a mad search looking for it- & it doesn't make me want to smash a tooth just to get a dentists script or anything- (lol)- but there is a definite mood swing involved for a day or so... Hey, you wanted the truth right ?.. lol... When I'm prescibed it it's part medicinal, part recreation... Good thing it's not an everyday thing I guess- or I could wind up in a world of hurtin'...;-)

9. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It isn't ibuprofen, it is acetaminophen. Try saying that five times fast. It is Tylenol, basically.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I took it briefly this year for pain associated with pneumonia. One pill was far too much for me -- made me feel giddy. I cut myself down to half a pill before bedtime, and that worked just about as well for the pain, but with less mood-altering side effects. I stopped taking the stuff as soon as I was able to bear the pain without it. When I was in the hospital for the pneumonia (just one night, fortunately), they tried to get me to take two Vicodins but I refused. Those narcotics are scary.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I've had vicodin after dental work but don't remember anything about it. I hate taking pain killers of any kind so avoid them whenever I can. I had my gallbladder out two years ago and was prescribed tramadol afterwards. It killed the pain but made me manic. It was the most awful thing in the world. It was as though I was on a high that I couldn't come down from. Never again.

12. James L macrumors 6502a

Sooo... he's done heroin then?

:rolleyes:

13. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I had surgery on my neck in August of this year. Had a ruptured disk that was pinching the nerve to my left arm and putting me in an incredible amount of pain. So when I get to the recovery room the nurse asked me what I wanted for the pain. I was a bit sore, but after the crippling pain I had been in all summer, it was nothing. But she kept insisting so I asked her what they had. She rattles off a list of pain killers like a waitress lists salad dressings. I ended up getting a couple of regular strength Tylenol. When I checked out of the hospital, the doctor gave me a prescription for Vicodin (or something like it), but I never bothered to go get it.

The worse part of the whole thing was the feeling of having my throat stomped on (they went in through the front of the neck) and not having much of a voice for a couple of weeks. But time took care of that! Been doing great since then!

14. keithpetey macrumors member

ive been prescribed vicodin on at least 4 different occasions. ive broken my arm twice and have had a few surgeries to set the bones back in place. i also had my wisdom teeth pulled and was prescribed it again. i love the stuff. i wouldn't say im addicted because its like beer, if it's around then ill have one, but im not gonna go around sucking dick for it. i found that it was very helpful in high school. i would take it before class and it just made me relax, pay attention, and made the day go by so much faster. im sure the **** is addictive because the majority of people have zero self-control. if you need to ask me any questions about it just pm me.

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

My doctor gave Vicodin to me after I had knee surgery and it didn't do anything for me. So I took two, only to try to get some sort of rest since the pain was really bad but still nothing and only an upset stomach to show for it. I also had to take it after a minor foot surgery and the same thing, no help for the pain so I guess it really depends on each person.
    Now for my current back injury(2 disc tears) I was given Loritab. This doesn't help the pain it only makes me tired for about an hour. To sum it up my doctor is quite suprised that either med. has had little effect on my pain but the Vicodin seemed to be the weaker of the two. I say this because it couldn't even take the edge off of the pain and the Loritab tried to.
    As far as wanting more, never since I feel it can't take care of the pain in the first place. I guess I need the doctor to try something else but only if the pain is so great that I won't even be able to think clearly.
    Hope your paper does well, Scott

16. Sheebahawk macrumors member

vicodin

vicodin is a semi-synthetic opiate, and it serves our needs. by nature it is habit forming and addictive, but its a necessary evil. Im not an expert (yet) but i believe that only about 10% of vicodin contains opiates, the rest of the pill is just tylanol. its also usually coated with a time release something or other, so it lasts all day.

the fact is, any human can become addicted off any amount of opiat, if you've never ingested an opiate before, and started taking 2mg every day, or 1200 mg a day, youd become dependant just as quickly.

opiates work differently from all other painkillers, we have special opiate receptors in our bodies which recieve a chemical called substance p. thios is how our body registers pain, opiates are naturally drawn to opiate receptors which blocks them from recieving substance p, and dulling our ability to experiance pain. Tolerance comes through the hardening of these receptors, (because of constant recieving of opiates) so not as many opiates can be drawn, leading to the need for ingesting greater amounts to achieve the same effect.

on a universal opiate scale,id place vicodin at the very bottom as far as dosage strength. ive 'experimented' myself with opiates of all types, and administered them through the various techniques. (no suppositories) Vicodin has no where near the same effect as heroin. to place them into perspective, codine, is twice as potent as pure opium. Morphine is ten times opium, five times codine. Heroin is ten times as powerful as morphine. this is just on a molecule for molecule basis, as in real life there are many other factors present when consuming an opiate based drug. It all has to do with how the opiate has been synthesized and how complex the molecule is. Heroin also has the ability to passthrough the blood brain barrier near instantaneously (dont ask me to explain how or why, im not an expert or pharmacist yet) while other opiates take a much longer time, meaning you feel the full effects right away. so in my opinion, a thousand pills of 1200mg vicodin wouldnt equal 100 mg of pure heroin. For the curious, dont even consider trying it, theres no comparison for what a bad decision it is. Ill leave it alone now since its not the topic issue.

To actually answer the question, no ive never been prescribed vicodin, but ive probably popped a couple hundred of other peoples. IT was a wonder drug when i worked construction and had to work through nagging pain. The side effects for me at least are negligible, but if took it I would always mix alcohol too, just to amplify the effect. Opiates and alcohol are like kobe and shaq, there isnt a more dangerous combo.

Vicodin addiction i think has become accepted in american society, we have every celebrity you could name stepping up each week saying theyve checked themselves into rehab. Humankind has always had a relationship with opiates, that relationship isnt going to come to term anytime soon. I think as a society we are better off than a hundred years ago when anyone could walk to the pharmacy and get a pint of opium/cocaine to treat their scratchy throat. I dont feel vicodin is overly dangerous BY ITSELF, there may be a lot of it out there, but people seem to need it. oxycotin is another matter entirely.Perhaps more regulation of narcotics is in order, but then what are wee to say about the alcohol thats in plentiful supply, while not as habit forming, its much more degenerative to human cells. addiction is a horrible personality altering state, Perhaps bigger bolder warning labels are needed to keep 'accidental' vicodin addiction at bay. But i think most people have an idea of what they are getting into. I'd consider vicodin to be the least of evils, in the opiate family, but without any kind of tolerance the least is all youll need.

in case your wondering, which you shouldnt be, ive been opiate free for about 20 months since quitting cold turkey. and heres a trick in case you come across someone who refuses to wake up from opiate induced sleep, stick ice cubes in their ass.