ever break any bones?

Discussion in 'Community' started by sonofslim, Nov 5, 2003.

1. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    spurred (get it? bone spur?) by the inline-skating thread: have you ever broken any bones?

i got both wrists, 2 ribs, 4 fingers, and an undetermined number (but > 50%) of my toes.

all of those were at different times, though.
  2. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    broke my arm just below my shoulder, dislocated it too. Doctors had to stand (yes, stand) on my broken arm to pop the joint back in.

broke a toe once, fractured my nose and cracked a rib when some muppet jumped me on my way back from school as a kid
  3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I fractured the "growth" bone in my middle finger on my right hand playing football when I was 10. I had to wear a splint around for 6 weeks. It's still mildly amusing to show people the finger when illustrating it. :D
  4. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    My 5 year old broke his arm two weeks ago. :( (He broke both bones in his right forearm.) They had to set it twice. (The first setting shifted in the first week.)

He broke it by falling off of the monkey bars at school. When he showed me which bar it was only 4 feet off of the ground! He said he was standing on it. Oh, BTW they had 2 inch rubber padding. :rolleyes:

He is doing better now, although I just got the first bill from the hospital. $4000! :eek: I have insurance though.... But I bet after all of the bills come in I will pay out $1000. :(
  5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    luckily i have never broken any bone. i think if i did, it would be even more painful than some people. my bones are überthick. its not a joke when i say i am bigboned. :)
  6. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    I got a stress fracture in my fibula (the "other" bone in the lower leg besides the shin) during a road march in basic training when I was in the army.

Not surprisingly, the drill sergeants didn't believe me for a week until they saw an x-ray. That week stunk -- lots of running, marching and standing around on a cracked bone. "Come 'own, prah-vate! I know you ain't gonna make me wait while y'all waddle along! Let's go, he-ro!"
  7. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    A motorcycle falling over me broke my right leg above the knee years ago (I was old enough to drive..). Now it disturbs only when it's very cold.

Also the right wrist, when I was about 10.

And the small bones of the right foot, when I was under 10. It still bugs me. If I swim, the foot does not turn how it should; walking it does not matter unless I have not good shoes or walk over 10 miles (or it's cold). Hm, just wondering if all these breaks on my right can have anything to do with being a lefty?
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i am just days from being 40 and i have never broken any bones

i wonder what the odds of that are?

but what i find strange is when i meet someone my age who has never been to the doctor, outside of birth and immunizations, or somebody who has never had a cavity

i am a beer and wine hobbyist, but i never took a drink of beer before i was 21 and that must be some sort of record since i have sampled perhaps over a thousand beers in the last 20 years or so and hundreds of wines...i got started when i went to this bar that had 250 beers on tap and i exhausted that joint in short order

that said, i drink responsibly and i believe in quality of beer or wine, not quantity and i don't condone drinking gallons of budweiser, having unprotected sex, mixing it with rave drugs, and then hitting the road as i have friends and acquaitances who have either died or got injured that way
  9. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    I've broken my toe, fractured the growth plate in my foot, and completely broke my jaw on both sides as well as fracturing my chin.

oh forgot about severally brusing my ribs.
  10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    so are u just accident prone or do u have a lot of enemies? :eek: ;)
  11. leet1 macrumors 6502

Nov 3, 2003
    Right hand knuckle.

Threw a firecracker at my friend, he went to pick it up, I yelled "NOOOO!" BAM, scared the **** out of him and he started chasing me. I ran like a bat out of hell, tripped and landed on it. Was cool, swelled up, funny looking and got to sleep on some boo bee pillows for confort the same night. It never hurt :p

Country sucks when it comes to running, holes everywhere, lol
  12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Nose twice, jaw fracture, dislocated both thumbs several times, dislocated left elbow, both collarbones, several fingers, knuckles and toes, 2 broken ribs and I snapped my right kneecap in half.

Most of these are martial arts or rugby injuries, but the kneecap happened when I got hit by a chair in a recording studio:D
  13. krossfyter macrumors 601

Jan 13, 2002
    secret city
    ive never had any bones broken.. im 26 and played soccer, football, rugby and been involved in a number of fights, been in 2 auto accidents in which unfortunatly claimed the life of 2 people and almost me... what are the odds of that?... much like what jefhatfield is saying... wonder if i can go 15 more years like him with my current record. chances are i could since i don't do anymore strenous activities anymore in which the risk of breaking a bone is there... unless you inculde lifting wieghts as one.

do i drink a lot of milk? nope but i eat a lot of frijoles! didnt really drink beer or liqour till after 21 and only rare occasions go to a doctor... havent been to one in 6 years now since my last auto accident.

-powered by frijoles
  14. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    sounds like there are plenty of us around here that are complete messes.

for me...

broken toes on the left foot

shattered (well beyond broken) ring finger and pinky on my right hand.

fractured right wrist (twice)

fractured right elbow (once. went along with one of the wrist fractures - what they call a bowing fracture)

dislocated right shoulder

chipped skull (forehead region)

basically just a messed up left knee (bad wear and tear for my age - can't be fixed, only improved)

i guess most of that is not broken bones, but close enough, i suppose. i feel so old. too bad i'm only 20...
  15. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    I just realized that I broke my thumb about a month ago....at the time it happened, i was drunk (i actually posted about it after the fact in the "have u ever been drunk" thread") so while it hurt, I wasnt too concerned. The following two weeks the thumb was bruised pretty heavily. I only got curious recently, when a month and a half later, the thumb still hurts when hit in a certain area. Sitting in calc today, I bent it back and was surprised to see a bone protrusion under the skin where the end of my metacarpal had chipped off, and then set and fused improperly with the rest of the bone. If it continues to hurt, ill have something done about it...either way, its a pretty minor bone breakage.

Oh wait, I also had a stress fracture in high school when I was running track.
  16. sonofslim thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    i have a friend who broke a femur. snapped it right in half. i got dizzy just hearing the story of how they set it. just imagine: no anaesthetic -- something about shock or hemmoraging or something -- and lots of nurses pulling and tugging on what are now two separate halves of the largest bone in your body while the thigh muscles are spazming and pulling them out of place. AAAAARGH!!
  17. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I think I may have broken my finger once. I was playing basketball and I jammed it REALLY bad. It hurt for ~2 months and then it slowly faded away. I never saw a doctor or anything, so I don't know if it was broken, fractured, or just really badly jammed.

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    broke my left arm (in like 7 places, it was almost a massive compound fracture... thank god for stretchy skin), pulverized part of one finger, they kind of shaped the tissue back together and amazingly enough a new bone grew. plastic surgery got me a functional fingernail and i have full feeling. pretty amazing. cracked a couple of ribs, but who hasn't, and tho it's not a bone, i have broken my nose like 5 times... i'll be getting a nosejob in a few years, badly needed.

so not many, but the ones i did break were fairly substantial injuries :)

19. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    When I was 5 I cracked my skull open, I have a patch on my head where the hair will not grow back, but I have never broken any bones.

My brother has broken his leg at least twice though, and he is only 14. I also have a family member that had a lot of her bones in her body broken when she got hit by a bus, but you would never know it now if you met her.
  20. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
  21. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I broke the big toe on my right foot, but I don't remember how, as I was only 3. I'm told I stubbed it on a bedpost. My arm on the other hand, er, limb, I unfortunately do remember. I was playing (American) football at a family birthday party after a soccer practice. He didn't want to hurt me by talking me, so he swiped my legs out from underneath me. I went flying and tried to break my fall (bad idea :rolleyes: ).
    There was a loud snap as I broke both bones in my right arm. Initially everyone thought I broke my wrist. Thankfully I didn't, but my arm was a mess. My bones broke about 1.5 inches from my wrist and shifted upward. It took the doctors three tries and about 11 hours to get the cast right. I think the worst part was that the curtain room I was in had a Super NES in it, and I couldn't play. :(
  22. kaosfere macrumors member

Nov 1, 2003
    Only done it once, last year. I'd just gotten my second speeding ticket in two weeks, after keeping a clean record for seven years. Got home pissed, stormed into the house, slammed the door, then hauled back and knocked the crap out of the living room wall. Now, bear in mind we live in an old house with plaster/mesh/lath walls. Might as well be punching concrete.

I felt slightly better for a few seconds, until I realized my hand felt odd. Looked at it, and it was practically folded in half. In that strange hyper-lucid state of mind you have just after you suffer a major injury, I thought, You know... that's going to hurt pretty bad right... about... NOWWWWWWWWWWW.

Snapped my third metacarpal in half, dislocated the fourth and fifth complete, and shoved them, and the ragged end of the third, back over the top of my wrist. The X-rays were pretty gruesome looking.

Had to go under the knife to get it all put together right, have four external pins sticking into it for three months, and went through several months of physical therapy. It's still not right, and may never be, but at least I have most of my strength back, and it doesn't hurt too much to shake hands.
  23. tazo macrumors 68040

Apr 6, 2003
    Pacific Northwest, Seattle, WA actually
    i fractured my left wrist when I was like 12 years old.....
  24. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    neither really, all happened when I was young and much more active, I just had some bad falls.
  25. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    I fractured my wrist in a fall once, got a couple hairline fractures. I think that I broke my large toe once but I never looked into it.