Ever feel ripped off, and not care?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Abstract, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have you ever bought something that was probably way overpriced for what it is, and yet you were still happy to pay for it? No no, I'm not targeting you G4 Cube owners out there (I keed, I keed :p ). Something like that new OLED keyboard comes to mind.

SHORT LIST:

- I once paid $16 for a coctail, and I don't even know if I could taste alcohol in it. I spent $120 on alcohol that night, and what did I have to show for it.......not even a hangover. :rolleyes: Seemed OK at the time.

- Concert tickets on eBay (don't do it :eek: ) for around 2x what I knew they were worth. In hindsight, the show probably wasn't even worth the recommended retail price, let alone scalper prices. When I bought the ticket, it was worth every penny; then 8 months later, I wasn't even excited about the concert. I only went because I paid way too much for the tickets. Decent show, but not worth more than $70 max.

- And the obligatory......"I bought RAM from Apple." Nah, not true. I'm not that crazy. ;)

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Without that guideline, I could have thought of purchases for myself that would have worked.... but with that guideline in place?

Hmm...
    Radiohead ticket (singular) for my ex (he wasn't my ex at the time). It was a sold-out show (duh) and all his buddies had tickets. Thought it would be nice for him to be able to go with them. I would have gone but I would be on a plane that night jetting off to Greece. :eek:

Wait-- I thought of a purchase for myself...

A pair of "adorable" (or "sexy") heels from Agent Provocateur. They were after tax, $304. :eek:

3. Abstract thread starter macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I took it out, if that makes it better. ;)

I'm sure you've had more experiences than that. Ever go to an expensive restaurant and order what turns out to be rather ordinary food (nice ingredients, but same taste as the $12 restaurants).

I went to a restaurant beside the Sydney Opera House and ordered a steak......rare or medium rare. I was given a well-done. I thought about sending it back, but I have never done it before and don't get too fussed about such things. Besides, the waiter was German and was trying to learn the language. Funny how he got a job at such a nice restaurant!

The group who are giving me my scholarship was paying, so I just chalked that meal up to "They're paying for the fantastic view, not the food."

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

certainly. i will pay more for something even if it has what i consider a 'convenience tax'.

as long as i'm happy with with purchase in the end, thats what matters.

5. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Me, I've never been ripped off except by the ebay guy who never sent me that Compaq Aero 8000!

6. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I did. I bought a 256 stick when I bought my PB a few years back.

Silly me.

I just paid $80 for two $24 dollar braves tickets on eBay.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i bought a sony psp for retail. :eek: seriously, though, i know i've paid too much for things (yes, i even bought a cube), but it doesn't mean i was ripped off (cube was used :) ). seeing people pay upwards of $500 for a nintendo wii comes to mind. they spent twice the retail price for a system. but if you ask if they feel ripped off, most would probably say no, that it was well worth the cost. if ever i do get ripped off and don't care, it's probably something too petty to care about. the rare instance of feeling ripped off? buying something that doesn't work. that gets me mad (or is it sad?).

8. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Haha, like someone had already mentioned, I consider it the "convenience tax." For the next few days I'll think of whatever I can to justify that purchase to help me get over "buyers remorse." Cuz in a few days I'll eventually get over it and enjoy my new purchase. Like last night I purchased an iPod Hi-Fi and this morning listening to it while getting ready for work made me feel a lot better about it! Now I can't wait to take it out to the next BBQ or when I have to do maintenance on a car.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

How about paying $120 for a stock iMac G3.:eek:

But I love it.

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

My K100D was $700 at a B&M ritz, I could have gotten it for $80 less or so at adorama online. Oh well, the salesman was a nice guy, and I felt good to support local business.

11. Love macrumors 68000

Love

Yeah, I bought RAM for my iMac from Apple. $120 CAD for 512 MB RAM. Ouch.

I also chose TELUS for my cell phone ;)

12. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh honey, those are worth every penny! ;) </samantha jones voice>

(I relate in much the same category)

13. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i can't relate to shoes, but i pay $30 for this little tiny (0.5 oz. :eek: ) thing of clinique "all about eyes" cream, for my horrible puffy eye-bags. i think about how overpriced it is as my debit card is swiped...

then i go home and slather it on. :p

14. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, as long as it works! Desperate measures and all ;)

15. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

Any Cubs tickets I've ever bought could be considered a rip-off by anyone but a cubs fan...

First game was in like '72 or something. But I didn't pay at that point, my dad was the rip-offee in that case.

I'm a glutton for punishment.

16. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

£4.50 to get into a night club, I only don't care because I'm drunk. Usually the next morning, before the hangover its all like 'How much?'

17. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Lets see... I've been on a few dates where I feel like I paid more (for dinner and drinks) that what I got out of it. But I guess you have to pay to play, right?

18. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

19. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Every mac I buy.
    Most girls I dated before my wife.
    Every time I fill up at the gas station.
    Cable TV.
    Phone - yes...even Vonage.

I guess I care some, but I accept it.

20. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

When I order food at a restarant and the waiter/waitress tries to "save me money." I hate that 99% of the time. Most of the time, it has to do with a salad that I order. I might order the more expensive salad (which comes with more stuff I like), but the el cheapo salad might be the one that is either cheaper (duh), or part of the combo.

It just irritates me the way they try to do it. Heck, most people are probably grateful for that service, but I want what I order. ;)

21. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

That's quite a statement when you think about it. "We accept it." There's really nothing we can do about it... we need to buy a mac because Microsoft is evil... we need to date, cause well, the survival of the species depends on mating. We need gas to drive to the apple store and to go out on the dates. We need cable to watch TV when the date ended and nothing happened... and we need the phone to call... apple/date/or mom.

22. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Everytime I pay my tuition and associated school fees.
    I know its overpriced and some of the fees are just stupid (Student union Newspaper fee $7.50, Newspaper recycling fee $1.50)

When I buy another apple product. Pretty, shiny but getting to be overpriced crap.

Textbooks for school. Needed, like them but some of the prices are insane, find it more fun to buy the instructors edition online and get 'help' on exams.

23. fanbrain macrumors 6502

fanbrain

I paid retail for a Samsung m610 from Sprint. I paid retail because I only had a $75 rebate and the activation fee would have washed out the rebate + I would have had to re-sign for two more years.

But I love the phone. And that's all that matters. :)

24. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Lets just say I live in London. I am ripped off every moment of the day in this absurdly pricey place. I care but not enough to want to leave it.

25. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Going somewhere? That's £6.30, please.

And what's up with the student "discount" Oyster card? Pay £5 for the card and you only get discount if you buy season tickets.