ever go skydiving?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Jun 23, 2006.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I've been vaguely interested in going for a while, though I'm slightly wary as a friend of a friend spent 6 months in the hospital from a skydiving accident. :eek:

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Yeah, I went about a year ago. Terrifying and incredibly fun. I'd make sure you go to a place that's been doing it a long time, and is professional, just to be safe. I'd recommend it, and I'm probably going again in a few months, too!

3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Way back when, a bunch of my friends and I made skydiving reservations. Unfortunately, just before the event, I took a header over the handlebars of my motorcycle into the back of a car. They jumped from a plane, I sat on the ground in bandages. To this day I am sorry I missed the chance with those people.

Do it!

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, I have never gone skydiving. Not sure that I would be able to muster up the courage (or the stupidity ;) ). :eek:

5. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

You must 'Chute!

You must do this. It is The Rush. The sensation of free fall and the view are something that everyone should experience. If it wasn't such an expensive hobby I'd have long since been certified.

Like any other hobby I suggest you investigate it, choose a company or club that's been around a while, and has a professional attitude and service. Skydiving is a hell of a lot safer (statisically) than getting in your car and going to work, but that doesn't mean you should use just anybody.

I'd tell you to have fun, but I already know that'll happen.

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Ive gone a couple of times, and its a lot of fun. The best is when you first jump/ are pushed out of the plane, and you accelerating. Its a rush. after that you just feel like you in a wind storm, lying on your stomach. And is actually kinda boring IMO. I mean I couldnt do anything fun cause of the guy on my back, so I just had to kinda wait to pull the cord. Once the chute is out though, and youre floating down, its pretty nice.

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

No. ...because I don't want to become a pancake!

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Hmm let's see...jumping out of a perfectly good airplane, that is doing its job (i.e. flying straight and not crashing into anything), and is not on fire or about to run out of fuel? Oh yeah, and paying someone for this privilege? Thank you, no. :p

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have 16 times. It's the most liberating experience you will ever have in your life. After my first 3 jumps I quit my crappy job and started working toward a new career. After all, if you can jump out of a plane and live, what can't you do? Do your research. Find the safest place to go. I don't know where you're located, but I went here http://www.skydivemilwaukee.com/, even though there were closer places I could have gone in Illinois. The reason? Their safety record.

Skydiving is also not as simple as jumping out and pulling the ripcord. It takes thought and skill. If you really want an amazing challenge, go for it. I haven't been able to afford to go lately or I'd still be doing it. I miss it a lot. I'm bummed- I missed my certification by 4 jumps. I quit working in restaurants to work in advertising. Who knew I'd make less money? ;) Do this, man. It's one of the best things you'll ever do.

10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

No, thanks. Its not something that Im interested in EVER doing in my life time. :)

11. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

it is the most AMAZING thing you will EVER do! ;)

words can not describe jumping out of a plane at 13000 feet falling towards the earth at 100+ mph..... AWESOME!

just promise me this.... pay the extra money to have someone film you....

we went with a group of 6 friends... my fiance and i were the only 2 that paid extra to have someone jump with us and film....

10 minutes after our jump they had the films edited and put to music and playing on all the tv's at the drop zone....

our friends that decided to not pay the extra $$$ were kicking themselvs in the arse :D

12. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I tried to go once. Paid 120 bucks to go. It was overcast so they wouldn't let us go and gave us vouchers. never got around to going back, so I basically just gave them 120 bucks and got nothing out of it. Someday I'll actually do it.

13. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I haven't, but I'd like to.
    This looks like fun too. Clip 1, Clip 2

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It seems like the vast majority of the nay-sayers haven't jumped before (nothing wrong with that), but the jumpers are big fans. There's definitely a psychological hurdle to get over but I'd recommend it all the same. As leekohler said, it's liberating. :)

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Better than sex, even. :)

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

17. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

Hmm, interesting concept. **na might want to try it with you.

Unfortunately all of my friends who would have done it with me are more than 500 miles away right now, so it'll have to wait. I'm thinking this fall some time. We'll see I guess. :cool:

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've made reservations twice. One day it ended up storming near the Great Barrier Reef, so it got cancelled. Second time was in New Zealand, but it was winter (July) and so fracking cold at ground level that I couldn't imagine going 12000 ft in the air. :rolleyes:

19. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I desperately want to try it. Bungee jumps are as close as I've come to it.

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

When I went to school in England for a year, there was a skydiving club at the University. It wasn't THAT expensive, and we went jumping near Morecambe Bay. It was awesome, except for the ridiculous pink helmets we had to wear! The challenge was dodging the local animals and obstacles such as fences. I remember the skydiver who landed in a herd of cows. She kept yelling at the cows to move ("Moo cow! Moo!), but they only looked around in confusion, trying to determine where the voice was coming from. They didn't know to look up, so when she landed in their midst, they were a little startled. They all bolted in opposite directions. We nearly died laughing!

21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Bungee jumping scares me. I don't think I could trust a little rubber band with my life.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A few times. It's a blast.

Make sure that you go with a good school/instructor. This is one area that you want to go top shelf so that you don't end up on the bottom shelf. :eek:

23. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I told myself I would do two things before I graduated from college: scuba dive and sky dive. Well, I got certified in scuba (and have over 100 dives), but just never got up the nerve or the time to sky dive. I'm not sure if I could convince my fiancé to let me go now, espically with a wedding two months away. Besides, I need the money to finish refinishing the bed room and the kitchen.

24. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    went twice.. first time it was great cause i went with a huge group of friends. Except that the tandem instructor kept doing spirals after the chute opened and I almost lost my lunch.

the second time, i found to be rather boring, the freefall to me wasn't very exciting the second time around, there aren't many reference points as your falling, so it feels like you stuck your head out of a fast moving car.

honestly, i'd rather take the $$ and go for a weekend snowboarding.

25. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Yes. I went with my father a long time ago, before most of my brain cells formed. I got a concussion, dad broke his ankle in 4 places.
    The only way I'd recommend this idiotic endevour is if you have but minutes to live anyway. Near where I live is a jump school that leads the nation in deaths... I was going to change their billboard to "Just call 1-800-KER-PLOP" but never got up the balls.
    Skydiving belongs in the same catagory as swimming with great white sharks, climbing K2 without oxygen, and bungee jumping off a bridge. You know, the "Imbecilic" catagory.