Ever got merry on Absinthe?

Discussion in 'Community' started by edesignuk, Nov 21, 2004.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm just sitting here watching Euro Trip (very funny btw, you should see it), and there's a scene in it where they are in a club in eastern europe and get some absinthe :D

This got me thinking back to the one and only time I've ever had it, and how I remember absolutely nothing after having drunk it :eek: :D :p This got me wondering where I could buy some from, it's not the kinda thing you just go and buy in the shops. A quick Google, and Sebor Absinth to the rescue! (they ship world wide btw ;)).

So, have you ever had any miss-adventures, that you do or don't remember because of our little green friend?

I ordered a bottle, should be an interesting christmas...;) :D

2. brap macrumors 68000

Heh.

Well, I'll not go over my adventures making my own absinthe (back in the day -- 14 or so). I'll just say it was f**king strong stuff, and should have had me think again about buying any! Comes from having a misunderstood 'goth phase, you know.

But I did anyway, and I still have the same bottle. It's about 4 years old now, actually. It comes out every once in a while for the hell of it, never to extremes for the following reason.

The only time we've ever had a hard core experience was my best friend's 18th b'day. He'd rented out some hall or other, and he and I were into all kinds of things. It turned out someone else had bought him a bottle of the same stuff I had (75cl of Hapsburg, not the strongest on the market). We made it our business to drink as much as possible.

...This was after we'd had several pints of Guinness, and Smiths. Et cetera.

I believe (and am not totally sure to this day) that we finished the bottle. A couple of other guys were trying it, but we were drinking it out of f**king paper cups, man. Not even any sugar! I can't explain some of the surreal things which ended up happening, but I finished the night getting taken home my my girlfriend's father. I didn't pass out. and i didn't throw up in the car. I think my floor fared slightly worse, although this is where the lapse begins.

I was hung over for the next couple of days - though surprisingly not as bad as the time I'd helped another mate go through 24 cans of Caffrey's... Ooh-er. :eek:

edit: I remember why the Caffrey's was so bad. We started off at a bar which sold absinthe testtubes, got bored and went and played Quake with much beer :cool:

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hi
    I brought a bottle baack from London a few years back, and I can assure you" the 2nd day of x-mas traditional family dinner" turned into something quite spectacular. It´s like a drug in the way it gets you" high" for a periode of time, then you "come" down (and want another one). The trick is to stop at no more than a couple. See the famous words by Oscar Wilde; after one you see the world as you want it to bee. After the second you see the world as ..(can´t remember this one of the top of my head). After the 3rd you see the world as it really is, and it´s horrible.
    Please don´t quote me on this one, it´s been a while since I heard them.
    Have a happy X-mas
    Cheers

4. iGav macrumors G3

oooooooh yes... ;) I even have my own 'absinthe' spoon... ;)

Within certain area's of London, myself and a few others escapades involving the green fairies are legendary, to the point where myself and my brother actually got a certain bar to refrain from EVER selling it again... :D

Great stuff... so did you drink it whilst it's was still flaming?? :D

Speaking of the green fairies... where's eye gone?? I don't think I've seen a single post from him for best part of half a year. If he's lurking... :) then don't forget fella, if you're ever in London, then we've a date with the green fairies!! ;)

G

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Euro Trip also got me thinking about Absinth. I've always been fascinated by it, but have never tried it (it's a little hard to come by in the US). Thanks to your link edesignuk, I'll get to finally try it :).

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

And yet nobody posted in my EuroTrip thread months ago...Alas...;)

Yes, this movie was hilarious. :D

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Maybe you just didn't make enough of the intoxicating alcohol :D

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

55 pounds seems expensive (im from the US).

How much is a fifth, of say Bacardi, over in the UK? (for comparison)

Here it is about $15-18.

*EDIT*

I also think its funny that you only have to be 18 to order it. Here in the states where you have to be 21 to buy alcohol, that website (and all other places to by alcohol online from europe) just became my next biggest idea.

9. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I got curious about it too, but I'm not paying 80 or 90 bucks for a bottle unless I know it's GOOD ****. Anybody tried this specific brand?

Edit: I was thinking, is this stuff for sale from canada? They usually have much better prices when selling to the states? Everything is legal up there.

BEN

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

11. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'll let you know ;) :D

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as far as i have heard "Un Emile 68" (from france) should get pretty close to authentic taste for reasonable price (i've found it for 45€)
    (other would be the swiss "Kübler 57" but i think that one is more expensive)

but i don't like anise so i only know from some stories....

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

My boss just smuggled two bottles back from Amsterdam.

We are waiting for a speacial occasion to try it - none of us have ever done it.

Can't wait!

14. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Smuggled? My understanding is that it's not illegal in the US to have it for your own consumption, it's just illegal to sell it, which presents a bit of a problem...lucky for you fellas, the European outlets will ship internationally ;) :D

You'll have to report back when you've all given it a shoot :D

15. andym172 macrumors 6502

On my last day of uni I drank a quarter of a bottle of absinthe along with three other friends.

We all felt ok until we got out into the fresh air - within 2 mins we were all on the floor laughing our t*ts off that our legs would no longer work.
    We had to crawl home :O

Good stuff :) Worse is the 98% proof Polish vodka you can buy in Vodka Revolution. After only 3 shots (one after the other) I was sick for a week :D
    Still can't touch the stuff...

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Don't get me started that we can send 18 yo's to War, but require them to 21 yo's to have a drink....

17. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

God this is WEIRD!

I was away to the Czech Republic over the summer with some friends. We had a lot of "merry"nights out around Prague. The "absinth" was certainly flowing on that trip!! Dreamy!!

Anyway, just a few minutes ago I was looking for a few sites were you can order it from the UK .... and then i stumble into macrumors community and see this as the first post! I'll take it as a sign! :cool:

Anyway, I’ve just ordered some ... you can get it from here or here.

There are some interesting mixes that can be made with Absinthe but I cant remember them… something to do with Baileys?

18. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I got a bottle of Hill's Absinth when I came back from London last year. I tried it w/ the sugar-water method, and it was ok. I also tried an absinth bomb (absinth droped in a glass of red bull); I wouldn't recomend that one. Anyways, it's got a bit of a minty/liquorishy flavor, weird is all I can say. As far as psycidellic effects go, I didn't really experience any, it just got me good-mood wasted, which was nice. I think Hill's brand doesn't have as much wormwood or whatever it is. I remember reading up on it at the time, and I think the stuff from the Czech Republic is required by law to have very low/ trace amounts of it. Anyways, I'd really like to get my hands on some of the real-deal (go-nuts-and-cut-off-my-ear-to-mail-to-my-ex-girlfriend) stuff. If any of you know of a particular brand and where to get it, I'd appreciate the info. I think I'm going to be heading to the UK again sometime this winter.

19. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I ordered a tiny tiny bottle off the 'net a few years back... can't tell you were from though. It's a ceramic bottle with a cork (I assume) that is wax sealed. Never opened it... it's 70% alc. according to the bottle. Whole thing is written in Czech so not really sure what it says. I know theirs liquid in it but I guess for all I know it could be filled with water. :)

Came via U.S. mail and I had to pick it up at the post office...

Maybe one of these days I'll open it... hopefully it doesn't go bad. Maybe it gets better with age?

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As if my freaking Macs weren't expensive enough, you guys now have me looking at US$200/bottle Absinthe thinking "hmmm, that sounds interesting". I'd probably get the same effects drinking Jagermeister and hyperventilating or something, but, no, now I need to try the real thing.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. ;)

21. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

A friend of mine has been ordering this for years. Great stuff! Though the flavor can get old quickly (if you drink it too often).

22. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

So off of all the different varieties out there (on this forum linked) right now, which one is the best? I'd like the get quality over quantity or price considering I'm only going to buy a bottle of this stuff ever. Any conclusions yet?

BEN

23. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

E, you'll have to tell us how that stuff is when you get it.

I would be interested in ordering some, but before i drop 55 pounds on it.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You're right, he posted once in June, once in August and once in October (source).

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

They can drink on base. But they cannot take it off or let non-military personnel have some.