Ever met your favourite 'Pop' star??

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Nov 8, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

WinterMute put me up to this one.... heheh!! :D

Have you ever met your fav 'pop' star??

I've only met a few... and all were diamond geezers... :D

I've met...

Who: Clint Mansell
    Where: I was stood at the urinal next to him at a PWEI gig at Coventry University.
    Band: Pop Will Eat Itself

Who: Midge Ure
    Where: Many places, on many occasions. Midge rocks, and is such a nice fella. Exchanged Amp settings. :D

Who: Graham Crabb
    Where: Golden Cross Pub (Coventry),
    Band: Pop Will Eat Itself

Who: Nick Rhodes
    Where: Groucho Club, Soho
    Band: Duran Duran

Who: Simon Le Bon
    Where: Groucho Club, Soho
    Band: Duran Duran

Who: Gary Numan
    Where: Astoria

Who: Mike Mills
    Where: Dingwalls, Camden
    Band: R.E.M.

Who: Ken Stringfellow
    Where: Dingwalls, Camden
    Band: The Poises

Who: Mark Keds
    Where: Dodge Punk pub, Camden
    Band: Senseless Things

Who: Carina Round
    Where: Outside 'The Spitz', Spitalfields market

There's a couple more, but I'm off out now... ;) :D

So then... ever meet your fav 'pop' star??

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Who: Bono
    When: Early 80's (1982?)
    Where: Uptown Theatre, Kansas City
    Band: U2

They were still relatively unknown in the US and were touring in support of their second album, October (concert ticket cost $4). After the show, Bono was hanging around outside his tour bus and my friends and I walked over and started talking with him. He was very friendly and talked with us for about 15 minutes (while many people walked past and didn't pay any attention to him).

I guess it was one of the benefits of growing up in a smallish city where most up-and-coming bands didn't generate a whole lot of interest. We got to see them in small venues, and then if you waited around a few minutes after the show, they'd come outside and hang out in front of the theatre (waiting for their bus to pull up, or having a smoke).

U2 has turned out to be the most famous, but we also met REM, Stray Cats, Bow Wow Wow, The (English) Beat, Oingo Boingo, Fishbone, and several others. The amazing thing is that most of them would actually take the time to chat with a bunch of 15-year-old kids. I don't remember anyone ever being rude to us.

Ah... the good old days.

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Who: Courtney Taylor Taylor (The Dandy Warhols)
    Where: The Fox Theatre, Boulder

Went and saw them in concert there. It was a tiny show with maybe 200 people there but it was awesome. I stayed after for a couple hours with a couple other people in the audience and just chatted with him about random crap.

Who: Dixie Chicks
    Where: Denver

When they came Denver in July, my uncle told us his friend Richard was their tour manager and that he might be able to snag us some free tickets. My uncle and I went down to the Hotel Teatro to meet Richard for lunch and pick up the tickets. When we got there he told us just to chill out in the lobby for a bit.

After about 20 minutes, the elevator door opens, and all the Chicks and their kids come out along with Richard, make a beeline for me and my uncle and introduced themselves. They invited us to lunch (Rock Bottom Brewery) and said they were going to the John Mayer concert that night after they rehearsed, and said we were welcome to come to both (Rehearsal and concert). I don't particularly like John Mayer, but hey, I ain't about to pass up chillin' with the Chicks. Anyhow, I watched them rehearse, then partied with them at John Mayer. Martie said the altitude must make it easier to get drunk, because she was toasted after two beers.

Then of course I went and saw them the next night. The seats were awesome (Right next to the stage - well, one side of it. Their stage is really funky and in the round elevated on the floor of the arena). They were awesome! Plus they gave us free crap up the wazoo like t-shirts and stuff. Sigh. Sorry to ramble, but I love them to death, and that was just two days of sheer bliss.