Ever noticed that "7 Great Lies of Organized Religion" Banner?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

You know, the ones that shows up at the bottom of threads discussing religion in this forum. Just out of curiosity I clicked on it and signed up for 7 free emails discussing said myths. I have the first 2 already and will post the others as I get them. I haven't quite decided but I am sure everyone else will make up their minds once they have read them.

Number 1:

2. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Number Two;

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, (it is after midnight but you know what I mean).

4. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Thanks for posting this. I like what I've seen so far; I hope that the next few days will be just as accurate theologically. I will be looking at this thread with great interest.

I hope that the author spends some time on some of the REALLY tough questions, but there's far more than seven "easy" questions, so we'll see. :)

5. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

This reminds me once again that 'religion is good, why does anyone have to organize it?'

7. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Number Three;

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It's not the religion that's corrupt, it's those that corrupt it. Furthering their own agendas while taking advantage of the people's own faith, ignorance, and/or laziness. Easier to follow the people who sell you Heaven than to spend the time, thought, and effort getting there yourself. Even if the people telling you they are on the side of right are actually taking you straight down the path to Hell.

Looking forward to more of this.

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I might as well continue the series.

10. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Part 5

11. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Part 6

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Clunk! (the sound of this guy falling off the rails).

It is not necessary for any religion to be "true."

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Each religion is a PATH to the same eternal ever lasting. :)

Yes some contradict each other however in they own standing they make sense placed together they do not they lead down the same path nonetheless. :)

Looking forward to the last one. :)

14. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I just now noticed this thread, and read the first six installments. Having grown up in Lutheran grade school and high school, I took my faith for granted. However, I now attend a state university, and am among many people that do not share my beliefs. I too find that organization puts a damper on religion, and that in order for faith and religion to function it must be accepted and grasped on an individual level. My brother is currently a missionary over in Taiwan, and I had the opportunity to visit him last Christmas. It was a breath of fresh air, because in spread the Gospel, you don't have the time or ability to argue insignificantly small details of faith, but are rather able to experience the Word from the mind of a child. It is something I enjoyed, and I mourn the organization that has been (and possibly must ultimately be) forced upon religion.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, considering truth (though, I suppose, contrary to it's definition) is subjective, I'd say that's the point. If one looks at religion as the path to truth instead of the absolute, and as it says, we create an open dialogue where the truth will support beliefs, though at times may also oppose it.

The point stands that even if Bin Laden's religion is right, it doesn't give him the right to do what he did. Nor does anyone who beats up a homosexual because they claim to be Christian. Some people kinda miss the point, and people like that tend to be the swayed, or worse, the swayers. So people will use religion to justify hatred and acts of violence.

I may not agree with everything he has said, but I am looking forward to the next one.

16. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Faith relies upon no logical basis, as that is the defintion of having faith in something. Christianity has guidelines however, and they are laid out in the Bible, which is supposedly Gods words. The problem seems to arise when people allow others to interperet the text instead of reading and thinking about it themselves. That is what I am getting at least.

17. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Part 7.

18. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Though the final point is rather weak, imo. It leads back to the question of morals, which transcend religion, also imo. Religion provides great reason to be moral. But it does not prevent the immoral use of religion as a political tool for those who use the Bible selectively, relying upon the many who choose to follow religious leaders instead of replying upon their own readings the text.

There is an opening for non believers to turn religion against itself for their own purposes. Enforcing the parts that do not matter to them, in order to have the strictures that do matter be ignored. Mostly through self proclamation of what supposedly matters more at any given time.

As far as I know, the Bible does not discuss moral relativism. Does the Bible outline what can be foresaken for a presumed 'greater good'? Does the Bible outline what is a 'greater good'? Or are all morals equal withing its text?

What I do appreciate about this serious is that it encourages people to read the Bible and learn the knowledge without outside interpretation. I've never resented the valuable lessons in the Bible. I've only resented the fact that these lessons are so subjectively interpereted they undermine the good that these lessons were meant to provide.

At the same time, it shows that religion does not transcend the human condition, it relies upon it. For religion to be a good force, it requires that those who believe act in good faith and follow the lessons as they are taught and not in a way that is self empowering or unfair. Otherwise it undermines the entire message and leads to the eventual rejection, imo.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The issue IMO isn't subjective interpretation of the Bible, it's the strict and literal interpretation of words that have been altered numerous times, and the meaning of these words, which have also changed over the centuries.

20. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I see it as subjective though because certain sects cling to different interpretations for different reasons. If there were objective interpretation of archaic words they could probably agree on what it means. But there is a lot of feeling that goes into the interpretation. And when you decide to support and promote certain parts of the bible over another, it loses all hope of objectivity.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Subjectivity doesn't concern me. Everyone is entitled to take away whatever lessons and meanings and interpretations they might from such texts. Liberals faiths even encourage this. It's efforts to extract one, single truth from them that troubles me. Our friend who pretends (at least) to be an organized religion skeptic also seems to be an apologist for one of organized religion's main goals, which is to force every adherent to believe the exact same thing. Whether standardized faith is enforced by the church hierarchy or by other means hardly matters to me.

22. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

His version of the truth at least. But I like this interpretation more than a lot of others I've read.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm not going to say I'm disappointed, but I feel the author has just scratched the surface of the issue. I was looking forward to where he was going with this, but I'm afraid I'm left wanting. Kinda like with religion itself lately.

24. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

25. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

So do more reading. Read the Bible. Read C.S. Lewis, or John Wesley, or any of the many classic authors of the Christian faith. If you're left wanting, why not seek out more knowledge?