Ever seen a Cop break the law?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AhmedFaisal, May 10, 2006.

1. AhmedFaisal, May 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2011
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Get an identifying number from the car and file a complaint next time.
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
  4. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    Guess who lives in london
    Guess who lives in london
    tra-la la la
    tra-la la la
  5. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I think the cops in my hometown are the worst drivers on the road.
  6. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    They have that luxury. :rolleyes:
  7. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I've never actually seen or read about a cop breaking the law in the uk (except for the West Midlands serious crimes squad (I think it was) a good few years ago ) as they manage to bend the laws so much they've always got away with it.

Like the traffice cop doing well over double the speed limit in an unmarked car that didn't actually belong to any police force. He was "assessing it".
  8. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I've seen it happen a few times. Some of the most recent things include:
    -Putting on sirens and lights to go through a red light. They were not pursuing anyone, and they turned them off straight after they got through the intersection. :rolleyes:

-A cop car nearly crashed into me a month or two ago. I was driving along, the cop car was next to me and next thing I know it's trying to change lanes to be in front of me without any indication. I had to break really quickly and then I honked at them!

I suppose I should have got their regos, but I never think of anything like that at the time.
  9. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, I heard from the managers in another Department that there was an HVAC claim that a technician had gone out on. The Tech was about 50 years old. The customer was an off-duty cop, who didn't like the fact the tech told him "it'll be 24 hours until we get another unit to get your AC up and running" and the ****ing cop punched the tech in the face and then started kicking him on the ground. Needless to say we suspended his warranty and the tech is pressing charges and will sue. Hopefully that jerkoff loses everything he has.
  10. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Not London... bartelby hit the nail on the head.... ;)

I'm in Coventry at the moment, and only this morning did I see lady fuzz not understand how traffic lights worked. :rolleyes:
  11. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    I've seen it - mainly in the sense of putting on their lights to get through a stoplight or something so they don't have to wait.

Generally speaking, I don't have a huge issue with this. I know many cops, and they put their lives on the line for us in a lot of cases, especially in large urban areas like Chicago. I'm willing to give them a pass on small crap like that, especially since I've been known to stretch the speed limit from time to time.

Now cops that do blatantly wrong and illegal things (such as what Onizuka mentioned, or drug dealing, or whatever) deserve to be treated like any other criminal. Worse, perhaps, because they abused the public's trust.
  12. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

Jan 23, 2004
    San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Enough times to not trust the police very much at all.

Not just traffic violations and misc. powertripping BS either - about 6 months ago three cops, without provocation, "roughed up" a 14 year old kid right beneath my apartment window. My partner and I yelled at the cops, and were told by one of the officers that what would be best if we didn't mention this "unfortunate incident" to anyone.

It was just like the cops in Strange Days.
  13. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    I'm certainly not a cop but I just assumed that there was a reason that they would go through red lights with their lights on and then turn them off afterwards... I can't really *think* of a reason but I just always thought there was one... surely there is an officer or two on the boards that could enlighten us.
  14. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    Just about every day. It's annoying, yeah. However, they periodically put their lives on the line to protect us, so I can allow some minor annoyances. As long as they don't pull me over. Then they're pigs. :)
  15. jaydub macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    I wanted to snap a picture of something I witnessed here last weekend. There was a minor fender bender, two vehicles. There were three officers there, all in Suburbans, all standing together chatting while the people involved exchanged information. None were writing reports or tickets, they were literally standing with arms crossed, two of them with their backs to the accident scene.

Then they wonder why people don't vote to hire more police officers. When it takes three of them to respond to a fender bender, it seems wasteful.
  16. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    The traffic cops do all the time. I'm always slipping into formation with the police bikers, as all the traffic gets out of their way. They always go 10mph above the speed limits, so when I'm riding with them I do too. If I stay in formation and don't flit about, they just leave me alone and will quite happily chat when we pull up to lights. So no danger of cars pulling out, and you get to your destination quicker. Great!!

I've also seen a couple of Policemen smoking whilst sat in their patrol car. Not strictly breaking the law, but guaranteed to be against procedures.
  17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Mileage will most likely vary on a state-by-state basis, but at least here, a police car is technically *not* an emergency vehicle unless/until either 1) siren is on or 2) light bar is on.
  18. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    Here in Portland, during an anti-bush protest in '03 (he hasn't been back since) police in full riot gear attacked a peaceful convergence of people were circling the hotel where Bush was speaking. They beat people, and pepper sprayed an 8 month old, as well as a 10 year old. The people sued and the city lost several million over it. It happens every couple of years; there is a police attack on protestors, then a call for reform, then reform, then another attack, and so on and so forth.
    The problem is that you have a divided police force. You have the good cops who joined the force to actually help people, and you have the bad cops who were bullies in highschool and wanted a way to continue beating people, but do it legally. The bad cops always spoil it for the good cops and give the entire force a bad name. grrr.
  19. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
    My town doesn't have any full time cops.
    All we get is the State Police Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 :(
    And all they do is park their cars on the side of the road (to scare speeders) and go fishing.
    But where such a great little town we never need'em anyway. ;)
  20. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

Dec 8, 2005
    The Opium Garden
    Last year i saw a cop in St. Pete rear end a car sitting at a red light!

He was probably going around 45 mph ... hammered the guy...

then proceeded to get out of the car and yell at the guy he hit :confused: :confused:

i got out of my car and gave the guy a wave and yelled if you need a witness i saw the whole thing... the cop then started walking over towards me at the adjacent light (and yelling something) and i got back in my truck and took off! :eek:

We need cops, dont get me wrong... and there are a lot of good ones out there... but there are a ton of crooked suckers down here in FLA...
  21. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Does watching a cop snort speed off the patrol car console count?
  22. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    Not sure on that one, are there any speed snorting cops at MacRumors who can give us an answer?
  23. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    I've seen cops throughout the US speeding without their sirens.
  24. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    I don't have a problem with police officers speeding, or going through red lights. Sometimes they're on the way to a location where driving with lights and sirens would cause undue attention.

I do have a problem when they ignore red light runners...