Ever wonder how your online friends would know if you died?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Apr 17, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

heheheheh

http://www.diedonline.com/

2. Ajmbc macrumors regular

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Actually I have on occasion wondered how my friends here on Mac Forum would ever know if I was seriously injured or died. I did take a look at the site, it seems that it is more of a different kind of dating or pen pal type service. It is something to consider.

4. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I had the mother of this gal I had met online e-mail everybody in her address list about how she was killed in an car accident. So I guess it is possible for it to be done.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

People would ask why has Mr. Anderson stopped posting and someone would contact my wife and find out I imagine.

Now if we were both to go, well, then, it would be another mystery of the age :D

As for diedonline - well, it would get a little old after a while and if you set the thing up for say 1 week, well, you'd have a lot of logging in - and then the first time you missed :p

D

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I got an email when Carl Lydick died. Great thinker, great man, may he rest in peace. He died 8 years ago and the net heard his passing.

I have no doubts that everyone important will hear of my passing.

Honestly though I always wanted to be one of those people who died years before and no one noticed.

7. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Actually I have thought about this, some day when I'm 90 and if I'm about to die I would want my Macrumors buddies to know! It would be kinda strange just seeing people drop off the map on Macrumors especially if they were long time members.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It might be nice to know why a member here disappeared, for whatever reason. But a service like diedonline is sure to result in "false positives", since by definition they have to assume you are dead if they can't get in touch with you to confirm that you are alive, and lots of reasons might cause you to be out of touch. So you'll likely end up scaring your friends unnecessarily. People might even use it for April Fool's Day jokes, I suppose.

The issue is a little more important for boards and listservs where people discuss life-threatening issues, from cancer to sky-diving. If somebody there stopped posting, wouldn't you want to know whether they were ill/injured/dead vs. they went on vacation vs. their computer was broken?

The same problem happens in the offline world. Now and then, a teacher or student I know from school is injured or dies. Sometimes, I happen to be in the right place to hear the news. Otherwise, I usually hear from "a friend of a friend" only because somebody thought to tell me.

If YOU died, nobody is going to have a list of who to invite to your funeral unless you make a list and keep it up to date. That's not likely, so the system won't be perfect, online or offline.

9. Dros macrumors 6502

Or even worse, what if they stopped posting to MacRumors because they had switched to Windows!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

11. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I suppose if its really that important to you you could leave instructions in case something happened. I've considered doing that once and a while. Not necessarily for the forums but just in general. I figure my computer will be looked at once I go it would be nice to leave instructions for what to do with my stuff, who to contact, without going through all the trouble of making an actual will. Then again it always seems so morbid.

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It can be a morbid subject, but important none the less. I have found that lately it is even more important. A will so that all your thing will go where you want them. A living will so that you will be cared for in case of serious illness. Then a power of attorney for someone to carry out your wishes. It is important for other to know your wishes when it comes to health care & organ donation.

13. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I told my wife that in my will there are instructions for starting an Applescript I wrote that will pick a thread at random every three days and reply to the first post with a simple " :) ", and to keep the computer on for 5 years.

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

hahahaha

great site... i too have wondered about all this. being in a different country to where i grew up, a lot of my buddies back home wouldn't find out for a while i'm sure. weird.

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

I love it. I should do something like that.

16. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Interesting quesiton. I participate on another site and one of the posters disappeared. People come and go but I was a little surprised this one hadn't stopped in to say hello. Turns out she had a brain aneurism (sp?) and has about 2 months of her life wiped out because she was unconscious. She is making gains now.

17. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

wasn't there a semi-well-known case a while back (i may have read about it in Wired?) where someone claiming to be an ex-Miss Norway was posting on some forums, until someone claiming to be the mother of said pageant winner posted that she'd died? and then the whole thing turned out to be a possible hoax?

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you'd be banned after a while if all you did was post :) and then not respond to your email asking what it is you thought you were doing. :D

Now, if you make the script a little more involved and scan the thread for relevant words (sort of like the google ads) and post a small quip about it, you might last a little longer...

D

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Weirdly enough, I've thought about this as well. Most of my "real life" friends have come to accept that they may not see me or hear from me for a week or two on the norm, so I'm quite certain I'd be rotting for a few days before people would know.

As for online, I have no clue. My guess is the Poop Thread could be reopened, in eternal honor of my passing...once one of the Mods found out...however any of them did.

20. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i wonder what it would be like to run a thread through Eliza or some other pseudo-AI bot? well, maybe not one as old as Eliza; that would get pretty stale:

"Mr. Anderson, what makes you think you might last a little longer...?"

21. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'd thought about this at one point, but am now out of touch with the only online friends that might have cared to know. Everyone else are offline friends who would hopefully hear from my family, though I should probably make sure there's a list of people to call somewhere....

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

try this on for size. We make a thread for AI bots only. Put a limit of 3 posts per bot per day. At the end of the month we'll see if it's more coherent than the drunk thread.

23. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Over on the apple support forums we lost a long time contributor. When he died, I believe it was is son got on the forums and informed us all about it. His dad really enjoyed being part of the forums, and his family knew that, so they took it upon themselves to let us know. It was really quite touching to to see the messages people left about it, seeing strangers who ahve never met offer their sincere condolences to a grieving family. So I guess the moral there is to share the things you do that make you happy, and not just because you might "disappear" online if you died or were hurt, but because its part of who you are.

24. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

don't know if it'll last a month, but: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=68273

25. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its really sad but i just got back from vacation and after being away from my dorm for a month i found out the senior tutor (kinda like a warden but not) died. his room is locked up and has some of my stuff which i stored with him. he was a really nice guy, and no one knew till today that he died.