Ever wonder what happens to the stuff confiscated at airport security

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

what the hell...thats awful! why don't they return the items?? thats stealing as far as i'm concerned.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, it is pretty well known that you don't fly with 'anything' sharp, even fingernail clippers (not something I'd be buying on ebay either :D)

But my wife had totally forgottent that it was in her backpack, which she pulled out the night before to load up with some stuff for the trip. It was in there from the previous hike, so she didn't notice it.

It really only takes you once to lose something like that to never do it again.

And they do give you the option of go back to get you checked bags and packing it in with them - but that means a huge delay and if you don't have the time, well, you basically get it taken from you.

D

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I've started carrying a small padded SASE in my carry on (I don't check on domestic flights), and when I do carry something dangerous (like my knitting needles) and get caught, I'm just gonna mail my swag to myself.

5. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    you should be alloed to purchase a stamped return envelope at the security counter to mail your banned items home. i couldn't imagine throwing away an $80 leatherman, but i could spend $1 to send it home if i forgot it was in my backpack.

oops, didn't see your post nipsy... good minds think alike.

6. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

well it is easy to not take security seriously when one has walked past security with knives on one's last 4 plane flights.

considering they only catch 10-20% of the guns and knives inspectors sneak past them i have no doubt im not the only armed person on the plane.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

They took my '80's bottle opener.
    :rolleyes:
    But I had another one in my bag so no loss. :D

I'm glad my items are on e-Bay. :rolleyes:

Thank you budget defict.

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i agree with the stealing thing, it's easy to forget you have something on you. i carry my swiss army knife around everywhere and nearly forgot to put it in my luggage lst time i flew. but that SASE is a great idea! have to remember that.

oh, and how easy is it to get stuff on a plane??? rdiculous. how many times has the plastic bowl been checked when you've emptied out your pockets to go through the metal detector?? just put something in your wallet. stupid.