ever wondered what happened to your old email address? here's a story

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, May 8, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

today I got a junk email from an old email address that I actually used to have! now here's the scarey thing, it was mac.com email address! now what's really strange, I canceled the email address right when mac started to charge for email. So that means someone is paying to use an email service to send out junk mail. I'm wondering if I should report this to apple. It was quite scarey when my junk email didn't think the message was junk, I clicked on it to put it my junk folder, saw the address and it was musicguy8@mac. com. The only thing different was that it didn't have my name. Now what are the chances!? I guess it's obvious that they took over the email after I canceled it, but I wonder how often this happens, guess there is no way to know. -n

if you're wondering what was in the email, it was just a file, didn't open it

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Why on earth would they need to actually *have* the email account that spam is supposed to be coming from? What's happened here is, probably a spammer has a list of YOUR email addresses, with BOTH of them on them (Spam isn't usually filtered out if it contains your return email address, which is why they spoof it), and they made it appear as though you sent it to yourself. Or, perhaps it's the same username (everything before the @ symbol) and so the spammer's computers automatically sent one to your GOOD address, and put the following (in alphabetical order on their list) name as the return address.

What i'm saying is, just because an email claims to be from an email address, doesn't mean it is. I could spoof an email right now from president@whitehouse.gov. And spam uses automated systems that fill in the return address, which could explain why you "got" the email from your old address.

paul

4. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

paul, i thought the domain couldn't be altered, if @mac.com was a domain that belonged to apple. the apple account is no longer valid.

5. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Just because the message says it's from so_and_so@mac.com doesn't necessarily mean it was sent through the .Mac server. This happens to me all the time. I run several websites and I am constantly getting spam sent to me from 'webmaster@mysite.com' (which is me, by the way).

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Nope, as Flowbee said, it's completely changable. On an outgoing email, in the headers (the usually-hidden code at the beginning of every email including routing history and timestamps) contain all information relating to where the email came from, where it's going, and what address replies should be sent to. Outgoing mail servers usually make sure the domain is real, but anyone with their own server (OS X has one built-in, for instance, albeit hidden) can generate emails with forged "from" and "reply-to" header information. It's unfortunate, and it means that spam is nearly impossible to trace back in some cases. Alternatives have been proposed, and Microsoft is fighting to create and own the new standard for secure email authentication. I hope it's a public standard formed by a consortium, not a software maker...

That's not to say that what happened to you is ordinary, while I constantly get emails from myself (or nonexistant/fake domains), i've never gotten one addressed from another of my email accounts. Like i said, they must either have of your addresses, perhaps using an alphabetical system to generate "from" headers.

paul

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yeah, it is easy to spam a fake address.

Sushi

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, this is a common tactic not only of spammers but of virii too...there are lots of virii that scan LDAP or server e-mail addresses and fake them, so then it seems to someone else at your company, for instance, that they are receiving an infected e-mail from you, but it was actually sent in your name from somewhere else....

I hope one of these pans out, but I totally agree with this. All we need is another thing that has all the intercompatibility level of chat services and cell phone providers in the US.... :D

9. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

10. SlyHunter macrumors newbie

SlyHunter

I once received over 3000 emails all saying "sender not found", "no such server", and stuff like that. According to properties all originated from my email account advertising sexual enhancement devices. Nobody hacked my account I even changed passwords and noticed that I kept receving these failled mailouts that were mailled out before and after the password change. Where they originated from I don't know. I don't understand how these people make money, who ever buys anything based on this spam. I sure don't even if it was something I was interested in I would'nt trust it to not be a credit card scam. Eventually it tappered off and I guess he switched to someone elses email address.