Ever wondered what PPU-enhanced games look like?

Discussion in 'Games' started by nataku, Mar 26, 2006.

1. nataku macrumors regular

nataku

Ever wondered what these games with PPU support looks like?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=9855&type=wmv

this is from the game Cell Factor (PC and XBOX360). If this is the future of gaming, then wow. I can't wait for the future. Finally, something really new to games. It's not just some new nVidia or ATI card with higher clock speeds and more memory, just like each and everytime they do marketing cr*p. The future looks bright for Physics Processing!

PS. I hope Macs get some! (If I didnt add this it wouldn't be much of good news for Mac users now would it? =) )

enjoy

2. nataku thread starter macrumors regular

nataku

whoops. sorry i posted the windowsmedia link. still had wmp installed. hehehe. :D

3. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

I wish I had telekinetic powers. Video game characters get all the fun!

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Bloomin nora that looks good! could be quite fun with that psycho-kinetics malarky

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I only watched about the first 15 seconds, but that does look pretty damn sweet.

6. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Yeah, VERY cool.

So can someone explain what PPU (physics processing?) is? I'm assuming it's whatever allowed that level of detail/3D rendering to look better than in other games?

7. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Detailed answers can be found here.

But for a summary, it's a processor dedicated to doing physics calculations. This would be used for collusion detection, gravity, etc... basically anything requiring phyics. It can allow you to have a game with hundreds/thousands of objects in a game that all react to accurate physics (like the pipes, boxes, vehicles, and bodies in the video).

All that takes a lot of math and a PPU is designed specifically to do physics-based math to take that burden off the main processor in your computer.

Consequently, NVIDIA/ATI are enabling physics acceleration in their GPUs which could prove interesting if it works out well.

8. socamx macrumors 6502

Guess I'll remain stubborn and say I don't want to have to add another card to my computer. ATi/Nvidia adding it to their GPU's is fine and all, but do we really, really need games to look ultra realistic and have perfect physics?

I'll stick with UT for my graphics fun, maybe a bit of UT2004 on the side. Guess I'm just getting tired of new games with beefed up graphics and little innovation.

But hey...if it is what the majority wants...who am I to complain?

Edit: Movie finally finished downloading and watched...I'm not impressed. Sure it's fancy and looks nice, I can't just help but feel like it will just be a gimmick to get people to buy the game. Really hard to impress me anymore with video game's graphics and physics.

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

On the same subject, is there any word on whether or not the Revolution will sport a PPU. I remember hearing that it was rumored (or may have been fact) at some point, but what has become of it?

10. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Hey, THANKS!

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

unlikely ... they are simply too expensive at the moment (i think the additional card is around 300) but i guess for the next generation beyond 360/ps3/rev i think it is very likely since it simply frees up a lot of processing power even when used limited but it all depends on integration with gpu/cpu... i guess this is one of the reason why PC games will overtake in he next years again quite easily than the generations before as soon as nvidia/ati will integrate it in their boards

12. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Alienware, Dell, and Falcon Northwest already have these in their computers. Around $250-$300 add on.

This is just the first generation, but in the next few years, they will be just as common as a graphics card is today.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Rev is said to support one kind of PPU but i don't think it's in the same league as this. It's more processing the controllers. so it will likely be a very small and underpowered chip and won't be used for physics in a game.

I do think that the game is just going to be based entirely around this engine. Think Max Payne. an unpolished, unfinessed idea that could have been something much better.

THAT said.. a 64 player deathmatch in an absolutely epic level on that game could be very very fun. At least to me!

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The video was cool as a technology demonstration, however, the game looks like it puts way too much emphasis on telekinetically moving the giant piles of stuff around. More like showing off the physics processor than actually being an interesting game.

15. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

Yes. Yes we do

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Count me out :p I just want something fun. Physics and all that mean nothing to me, so long as the game itself is good. Be it Tetris or Cell Factor.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wow that was nice....i don't care if the game looks like pong once its nice but i don't mind the beefed up things as well.

Bless

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I like physics a lot. In fact, I could care less about graphics- I'm FAR more interested in physics in the next generation than graphics.

Come on jimmi, you don't see the potential? Graphics makes a game look prettier. Physics actually affects the gameplay. Games like Burnout 3 are designed almost entirely around physics. With the Revolution controller, physics are even more important as you want things to react realistically.

19. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

The original driver had the best physics, mostly because they were not the least bit realistic.

Computer processors are really pathetic... I've seed Crazy Taxi on dreamcast throw around objects like they were nothing (okay, so it slowed down sometimes.

I'm really not all that impressed with that video... it just doesn't look fun at all. A video game system would need to have a PPU built in for it to ever become more than a gimmick, and I think the ps3's going to be the closest thing to that with its 300 processors.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh yea I see the potential. Hell if this PPU card is a good price then I'd likely get one for my system. I love physics too. Bazzing around on HL2 with that gravity gun, and Garry's Mod! bloomin fantastic physic showcases.
    I was just responding to a guy who thinks that we all need physics. we need everything to be uber-realistic. I'm equally happy with realistic and non-realistic games. All that matters is if the game in hand is good.

... This has given me an idea for a physics Pong game! :cool:

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I think PPU is a "good thing" . It's the next step in the gaming evolution and has to be taken

22. esaleris macrumors 6502

23. nataku thread starter macrumors regular

nataku

either way you don't really have a choice. soon, more and more games will support physics processing. it still bothers me why someone wouldn't like an improvement.:confused:

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never knew somebodies comments to go totally unmissed! Like I said! I'll play any game so long as its fun. PPU or not. I really don't care for realism or anything else. Just. Fun.

And not really. I play freeware and lesser known games. in 100 years time people will still be making Mario platform style clones. so yea.