Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

evernote.jpg
In an email that's going out to Evernote users this afternoon, Evernote confirms that a serious bug caused "a small number of people" who used the Evernote Mac app to lose data.

The email says that images and other attachments can potentially be deleted when using Evernote for Mac, but text notes are safe.
We have identified a bug in some versions of Evernote for Mac that can cause images and other attachments to be deleted from a note under specific conditions. We believe you are one of a small number of people impacted by this bug. [...]

The bug can occur in the version of Evernote for Mac released in September, and less frequently in versions released since June. In these versions, certain sequences of events, such as skimming quickly through a large number of notes, can cause an image or other attachments to be deleted from a note without warning. Text in notes is not affected.
Evernote recommends those who receive the email update their Mac app immediately to avoid losing data. For those who have already lost data, Evernote says that while it attempted to restore lost data, some attachments could not be automatically restored.

Lost attachments may potentially be accessible through the premium note history feature, so Evernote is providing all affected users with one year of free Evernote Premium service.

Evernote version 6.9.1 and later, available as of October 2, appear to resolve the issue, preventing further data loss. Evernote for Mac version 6.9.0 is affected, including both build 453991 (available from the Evernote website) and 454042 (available from the Mac App Store).

Article Link: Evernote Admits Bug Caused Data Loss for Some Mac Users

MXBY

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
At this point, who the hell is still using Evernote? The pricing drove me away, but their terrible forced upgrade practices kept me out.
I would love to switch to something else, due to Evernote's increased (and pretty insane) prices.
But are there any alternatives (except Microsoft OneNote, which I don't think is that good)?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
What the heck! So that's what happened to all my attachments! I had a pile of photos and files in some of my docs, and then they all got deleted and I couldn't re-add them.

icymountain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2006
At this point, who the hell is still using Evernote? The pricing drove me away, but their terrible forced upgrade practices kept me out.

Same here, I essentially did not use it since the sudden policy change, as this really reduces the trust (I would have understood if they announced it a bit in advance at least and gave a bit of a roadmap). Not sure this data loss makes me want to trust them more.

Reactions: rdav

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I would love to switch to something else, due to Evernote's increased (and pretty insane) prices.
But are there any alternatives (except Microsoft OneNote, which I don't think is that good)?
OneNote is excellent, at least I think so. Always seems to be underrated.

Reactions: maxsix

psydid

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016
I really enjoy the Evernote experience overall. I don't trust Microsoft to keep updating OneNote, and I usually hate Google's client design, so I haven't bothered with Keep. Still, I make a point of keeping my Evernote data backed up separately and am glad to have done so even though I missed this bug.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Agreed. I'm happy to pay more for new features, but I refuse to pay for something like syncing to more than 2 devices- especially when that was previously free.

Reactions: RevTEG and rdav

cppguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
SF Bay Area, California
The question is, can you restore from time machine, or is it cloud only? Cloud is not necessarily safer than local data, it's prone to bugs and issues with the service provider. I only feel safe if I have both local and cloud backup. The beauty of time machine is that it automatically versions all files. That can be a life saver for structural damage.

I stopped using Evernote when I noticed data damage a few months ago. Its syncing feature is completely useless, if a note is modified in two devices, syncing causes a conflict and the duplication of the full text. I started having 25 copies of my notes in a single file, and it took me days to clean it up. I'm not even using images, just text.

I'm using One Note now, which is very good for both text and handwriting (if you have a pencil/stylus). Of course I only do handwriting for sketches, charts, trees, diagrams, formulas, not for plain text.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Another nail in the coffin. A company that can't restore data when they promise to keep it safe.

That plus the company didn't listen to any customer requests and cries for features to be implemented.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Yeah, lost all respect for Evernote with their recent policy change. I have tons of devices so it screwed me for sure. I migrated all my stuff to OneNote and I have actually been more pleased with OneNote than Evernote.

They can have all their "features" that the vast majority doesn't know are there or could care less to utilize. It's a note app. That's all it does. Compare the pricing to the value of something like an Office 365 subscription and the value ends up being laughable. So glad I spent the time to migrate to OneNote; I'd suggest others do the same.

And this article only further supports my decision. Thanks MacRumors, here's to the Evernote execs ,,!,,

Reactions: PBRsg and RevTEG

No5tromo

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2012
Evernote is still around? In case you haven't heard Evernote Premium is free for quite some time now and it's called OneNote.

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
I used it for years (I even had a Premium account for a while) but the problem was I kept pushing things into it and never got them out again. Somehow it became a junk drawer. With the price changes, I switched to Apple Notes and never looked back.

beermode

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2016
I really enjoy the Evernote experience overall. I don't trust Microsoft to keep updating OneNote, and I usually hate Google's client design, so I haven't bothered with Keep. Still, I make a point of keeping my Evernote data backed up separately and am glad to have done so even though I missed this bug.
Ummm, OneNote has been updated constantly since it came out 13 years ago. Their web version gets a lot of love.
You make it sound like an experiment.
But, hey...it's an Apple centric website. Make any Google or MS errant claim you wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.