Every domain, misspelling and acronym is taken, friggin ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by web_god61, Jul 23, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    So I've spent the last 3 days looking for some domain names for actual projects I wanna get started. Heres the problem, every name, misspelling, acronym in .com, .org, .net, .tv, .wtv is taken. Its friggin ridiculous.

And I tried every possible combination of letters under 25 characters, nothings available.

What pisses me off, 99% are just domain squatters. Then, 0.5% are websites that haven't been updated since 1985 and the other 0.5% are actual sites.

Its ridiculous, they should really up the price of a domain to like $200-$500 per year to stop domain squatting or make it illegal. For those that want personal sites, use something like blogger.com or geocities type service.

Heres the question, how do you guys get new domain names for your projects?

My only solution right now is to try and hijack the domains as they expire. I really wish someone would DoS attack these bastards, there worse then spammers.
  2. macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2008
    That is ridiculous, something does need to be done.:mad:
  3. macrumors 68000

Dec 7, 2007
    Alexandria, VA, USA
    It sure is rediculous.

But let's not hurt the consumer by taxing domain registrations.

There are a couple of organizations involved here which can help fight what is commonly called cybersquatting. Some bad-faith registration are typically resolved using the Uniform Domain Name Resolution Policy (UDRP) process developed by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). The problem is UDRP usually favors large corporations and also this is commonly done after the fact, i.e. someone alters your domain slightly in a bad faith attempt to attract traffic for whatever nefarious purpose.

There is also major confusion regarding jurisdiction, as the parties might be in different countries, impossible to extradite, where to file, how to file, etc.

In the U.S. we have the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) of 1999 but invoking it requires expensive court fees, time and dedication. Even so, many times even celebrities with the money to fight do not have judgements passed their way due to decisions based on current intellectual property laws which often are open to wide intepretation.

Bottom line is, this will remain and issue until a few landmark cases strike down the major cybersquatters where it's a lucrative business for them as compared to someone using your domain name or part of it by accident. If a few cases make it to higher courts, then what happens is "reverse domain hijacking" meaning the domain is given back to its rightful owner.

Sorry I don't have positive news for you, but this is why it's as bad as it is right now -- and share with others here.

4. macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2008
    Yeah, I don't think think a $200 tax on domain names is a good idea. It would kill small business and upstarts. You'd have to be really confident in your idea to justify that much upfront, before you ever earn a dime. I do agree that your situation is ridiculous, and that there must be something done to stop squatting. Then again, squatters are how we got Florida. I hear that's a nice place.
  5. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    Yes, hate domain squatters, but I am able to get 2 word domains still.

Many 3 word domains are wide open.

Just be more creative in naming.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2003
    Why did you lie about every combination under 25 characters being taken? That's total nonsense. The first 7-character random combination I tried - rbggbtn.com was available. There are 8.08281277 × 10^38 possible permutations of size 25 of letters and numbers a to z and 0 to 9. So I am POSITIVE you didn't try every one it would've taken your entire life. And almost all of them I assure you ARE availeble. Not to mention the massive number smaller than 25 when you said under 25.

So now don't exaggerate. Even sensible words. Based on a little inspiration, here's some names you could buy:

Okay, so you have a legitimate complaint. The squatters bug me too. But use facts, not exaggeration in your complaint :)
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    ^ I didn't mean it literally, it was meant to be sarcastic.

But I think im gonna try what somebody here said and look for domains with 3 words that are easy to remember instead short domains since they seem to be very difficult to find.
  8. macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Darkplace Hospital
    I just registered a common gaming phrase as a domain, 2 words. Which I'm quite pleased with. I guess it just falls down to what the domain is about.