Every empire crumbles

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 13, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Opinion/Interviews
    Link: Every empire crumbles
    Description:: Apple is losing its hip and unpredictable edge as it risks being left behind by the very technology it helped to proliferate, says Victor Keegan

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. Guest

iGary

I agree with this - read it earlier.

Yesterday was a serious disappointment for a company that is usually on the bleeding edge.

We witnessed the iPod jumping the shark, IMHO.

3. macrumors 68020

thedude110

The iTV preview does smack of desperation -- it basically says "We've nothing new to announce, but we're working on it." Not very Apple.

It's worrisome that more and more peole tend to say "We want something revolutionary" about Apple lately. It doesn't matter how high Apple's set the bar, they've still gotta jump over it.

Such that:

Where's my iNewton in tablet form running Piles, Steve?

4. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Sorry, can't disagree with this article more.

I see iPods everywhere. I see phones everywhere, too, but almost none of them are used for music. (The only times I see them used for music or movies is when people start playing $2.99 ringtones in the middle of the subway car, just inviting people to give them dirty "I oughta shove your phone up your you-know-what...")

So we get even cooler, cheaper, bigger capaticity iPods and that's a disappointment? Much higher quality video downloads are a disappointment? And the iTV announcement's getting trashed for being a sneak preview instead of a sudden bomb? Come on. Clearly, it was shown to get people to see that their movie downloads were not going to be cornered to their computer like a certain movie download service introduced last week.

Furthermore, knocking down the video annoucements by a) bringing up the limited selection (which, at 75 movies, is a helluva lot better than the 5 TV shows offered in 1/4 of today's video download resolutions), and b) bringing up YouTube, when Apple already encourages people to load homemade and free audio and video podcasts into their iPod, is weak.

Apple probably has a lot more prototypes under wraps (video iPod and iPhone being the most likely), but the iTV clearly is a box that's being held up by a lack of fast wireless. (Note the lack of definition of what Wi-Fi it's using.)

5. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I agree, however apart from the boring grey coloured scroll-bars I like the new iTunes (apart from separating every song with an empty album name on the new views :mad: )

It's also interesting that I can finally say to a lot of people, buy a Mac/iPod, if you don't, you're a fool, the new iPod is totally better than the competition, they are also excellent value for money (compared to the competition) too, Apple is doing fine.

To be honest the Guardian is just being awful and I read the damn paper.

Definitely, I have a mobile and an iPod, the phone has a music player, have I copied any music to it? No, even with Apple's excellent bluetooth support, I cannot be bothered as my iPod is so much easier to use.

6. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

You know why a lot of people (such as myself) feel that way? Macrumors.

Because of this site, I already expected ipod updates, movie downloads and a settop device of some sort.

Kind of like "Here's a surprise present for you! It's probably a gift certificate". Oh! It IS a gift certificate. Lackluster.

7. macrumors newbie

That article was a joke

The author didn't do his research very well or he would have known:

1. Selling songs on the ITMS doesn't generate revenue (directly) for Apple.

2. They aren't going to call the device iTV, its a codename, thus there will be no need for any attorney's to get wealthy.

8. macrumors G4

If it weren't the famously Apple-hating Guardian printing this article I'd take it more seriously. They seem to really detest anything either Mac or iPod related with a passion.

9. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

What really bugs me about yesterday's presentation is that the audience was incredibly stoic. At MacWorld, people jump up and down at the next iDVD update.

The whole thing reminded me of the introduction of the iPod Nano last year. The only time the audience even registered anything close to emotion was when he pulled a Nano out of his change pocket.

I can't help but wonder if a lot of us on the outside who watch the video stream think the annoucements are lackluster because the audience is out writing articles on CNET and elsewhere stating how a $2500 Windows Media Center computer and a crappy Creative Zen is better than Apple's stuff.

10. macrumors 6502a

technocoy

Dear god...

firstly, it will NOT BE CALLED iTV! did any of these journalist actually view the event?

secondly, the media hypes apple's offering out of realism based on rumor and investor speculation and when they deliver a real tangible product that doesn't match the fantasy of the "prophecy" they are all of a sudden a doomed company no longer on the edge...

whatever.

people complain that they aren't spending enough time on computers... hence they spend an entire year making everyone of it's lines cutting edge with the intel transition. but no, thats not enough... NOW they aren't spending enough time on the iPod!

first of all, they have a flurry of patents that in all real logic, if they are being applied to interface engineering and the iPod platform, are getting ready to change computing as we know it today. the next truly new iPod device we see from apple is going to rock the industry, and I'd put serious cash on that. Apple isn't blind. They are waiting on infrastructures to be in place for much of what they want to accomplish.

secondly, the iPod isn't going anywhere for quite some time... people seem to constantly forget the installed 3rd party accessory support for the iPod no other electronic device comes CLOSE. can't touch it. nearly every car manufacturer is including iPod interface support, numerous audio and video manufacturers are building peripherals and making their product iPod compatible. friggin display companies are making built in iPod docks for crying out loud.

yeah, it's saturated, it's also EMBEDDED. so yes, sales my plateau, but even then apple would remain one of the most profitable tech companies. i would say it's a proud moment when you have sold so many of a product that it's in nearly every household around the world.

the only reason there isn't every friggin movie from every publisher on that store is because of one reason and one reason only... the greed of the movie industry. they are blackballing apple simply because they want far too much money for an inferior copy of a product and apple doesn't agree.

Apple is no angel, but by god I think people should applaud apple for sticking to their guns and at least TRYING to look out for the consumer. so, if they had agreed to the 19.99 per download that the industry wanted and gotten all the content for download would you all be happy? hell no you wouldn't, because that would be too much money for a movie download at friggin 640x480.

all this downfall of apple crap has gotten pathetic... it's king of the hill mentality gone awry...

when my convergeance device done to perfection is in my hands next year with a cameleon OLED touch screen with haptic feedback that morphs beautifully from my GPRS/EDGE phone to my GPS navigator to my iPod to my 7MP digital movie camera with iChat free calling and videoconferencing, with no need for the pda because it uses the resolution independent interface of panther to recreate my desktop over the wireless network using the giant data center they purchased last year... we'll see what the media has to say then...

;-)

my point is... every year it's the same story.... every year apple sells MASSIVE amounts of iPods and year over year for the past few years the Mac sales have increased as well.... if you ask me, Apple is gaining momentum as a WHOLE. quit focusing everything on the iPod masturbation of wallstreet.

11. macrumors 6502a

The article stated that yesterday's presentation was held during
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

What is this guy talking about? The WWDC at Moscone Center was nearly a month ago- recycle your news stories, any?

12. macrumors 6502a

Based on the title "Every Empire Crumbles," I thought the article was going to be about Microsoft. You know, their future. Imagine my surprise when it was about Apple.

13. macrumors 6502

This can be read elsewhere, but...

1) Normally, Apple wouldn't have said anything about the iTV. However, giving a preview about such a device makes the whole iTunes movie store thing much more appealing to consumers, movie studios, and Apple's shareholders.

2) What's not to love about yesterday's event? Apple managed to infuse the much-loved mini into the nano, we finally got gapless playback, and the Shuffle is absurdly small.

3) If you stop reading Macrumors, you will stop being dissappointed by Apple's new stuff.

4) In the end, the proof is in the pudding. Apple's going out on a limb with the downloadable movies and streaming from computer to TV, but they did just that with the iPod, and look where it got them. :D

14. Guest

iGary

Instead of delving into pedantic journalistic details, would anyone care to explain how a brightness control, games, bigger HD and a few other tweaks after a year of waiting is a good thing? :confused:

I think the article was spot on. Steve was making excuses and bowing to pressure yesterday---and it was sad. You could tell he knew it was a lame release.

15. macrumors 65816

me_94501

Yeah, the errors and tone of baseless criticism made this article easy to dismiss.

Yesterday's event met my expectations for the most part (though I'm not happy with the iTunes 7 UI changes). I think the media needs to get out of the business of following the rumor sites; it just breeds inflated expectations, hype, and poor journalism from pundits. They are, after all, just rumors.

16. Guest

iGary

What baselss criticism?

17. macrumors 6502a

technocoy

my point is... who cares?

the current iPods are selling like hotcakes. the average consumer isn't waiting on updates from apple for the iPod. They don't have the 6G iPod ready yet. SOOOO, they couldn't very well release it yet.

It's a holdover, just like 1.67 powerbooks update i bought in november last year after waiting over a year for an update.... then WHAM! i get floored when just over a month later there are intel powerbooks released at Macworld SF!

The majority of this planet didn't even know there WAS an apple announcement yesterday... only nerds and fanboys like us were dissapointed because we expected the swiss army iPod.

18. macrumors 65816

me_94501

I don't feel that way at all. There's little way I can think of to make major upgrades to the iPod short of coming out with something radically different. By that I mean something like the much-rumored widescreen iPod, which could be something in the works or could be fantasy at this point...

But then again I've also tempered my expectations since the disappointment of the Mac mini media event in February.

19. macrumors 6502a

technocoy

and once again i post....

THIS:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

this happens everytime (in reference to the movie store and "iTV')...

even if they do goof, who cares... you have to learn from mistakes sometimes... the cube was a monumental goof... and we can all see how it brought apple falling to the ground.

20. macrumors 65816

me_94501

This nugget stood out:

"Make no mistake, these are going to be difficult times for Apple."

How? iPods are still selling very well. The holiday shopping season is right around the corner. Macs are selling extremely well. All signs seem to be pointing toward continued growth and success. Maybe not 200% growth or something crazy (that's just simply unsustainable), but unless disaster strikes I don't see Apple falling into a put anytime soon. You want difficult times? Just look back to 1996-1997 and to a lesser extent, the flat years of 2001-2002.

Maybe it's not so much baseless criticism, as the writer does temper the above statement later in the article, but it is still an irresponsible thing to say.

21. Guest

iGary

40% of Apple's revenue wasn't pouring in from the cube - it is for the iPod.

Believe me, when the iPod fails, it will hurt Apple.

22. macrumors G4

I went to the Apple Store after work to buy a new nano. Since the delivery had only just come in this afternoon, we were told to go to one of the desks upstairs. There was quite a queue. The three girls in front of me were talking. One was replacing her broken pink mini with a pink nano and the other two were buying their first iPods. They all went for coloured ones. One green, one blue, and of course I've already mentioned the pink.

Apple corrected a mistake yesterday by bringing back the colour choices. That alone will see a jump in sales over Christmas.

23. macrumors 6502a

technocoy

lol...

yeah, things are tough when your media player is like 75 percent of the entire market, your computers are gaining sales, and you have like 8-9 billion in the bank.

24. Guest

iGary

Who said things were tough?

25. macrumors 6502a

exciting times are ahead! when the mainstream press starts spouting their "apple is doomed" prophecies that's when the jobsian apple really knocks it out of the part. the first time we got the imac, the second we got the ipod. brace yourselves people iTV was not it, there's something else coming.

yes, it does. the break even myth is — well a myth.