Everybody forgot AppleCinemaDisplays!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Jun 3, 2006.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

Jun 30, 2005
    Everyone seems to give away rumors regarding processors and weve forgotten all about displays! :D Come on rumor providers give us news, on something that will last, cause this processor race makes IntelMacs old at the moment they are born, while displays can last 4-5years easy!
  2. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    Perhaps there just are no rumors at the moment for Apple Displays?
  3. victorl macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    I could use some rumor now ... been waiting for close to 2 months.
  4. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    What about the whole "placing small light-recording gizmos in the space between pixels" to create a new type of built-in camera?

I forget the exact details, but wasn't there a recent patent for something like this from Apple? :confused:
  5. victorl macrumors newbie

Jun 1, 2006
    Oh yes. But don't think I can wait that long =)
  6. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2006
    Southington, CT
    While that display/camera combo deal sounds cool, it also sounds far into the future. I'm currently considering buying a 30-inch. I will also be buying a Mac Pro when they come out. I am hesitating. Right now, the only hardware that would be able to use 30-inches is my MacBook Pro. I'm not sure I like the idea of hooking it up whenever i want to use it. So my options are:

1. Buy a 7800GTX (which i currently have) with DDL (which I don't have), or even buy a 7900GTX with DDL for my PC.
    2. Wait for Mac Pro, and buy them together.

The reason I'm leaning towards 2, is because there is a possibility of redesign to go with possible Mac Pro redesign? Obviously that is only speculation. But aside from the displays getting their inards upgraded, the cosmetic upgrade that I fear is keeping me from buying one just yet.

I guess after all that I was just looking for your thoughts/opinions.

7. netdog macrumors 603

Feb 6, 2006
    Plenty of rumors.

-all to have iSight
    -enhanced brightness and resolution
    -same familiar price
  8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    I would absolutely adore built-in iSight in the ACDs, and it makes sense that it would happen. :)
  9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    There is one additional advantage to buying them together: If you get AppleCare, the warranty will also apply to the monitor. There is, otherwise, no way to get a 3 year warranty on an Apple display, sad as that is.

Considering the price of the 30", I'd find the extra couple years comforting.

Other than that, I don't expect any huge changes in the lineup. iSights are likely at some point, but who knows when (admitedly, the Mac Pro release seems a likely opportunity). The smaller ones might see a price drop, but the 30" is already only a bit more than Dell's 30", so it probably won't get a whole lot cheaper.
  10. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    That would be weird, imagine having to isights???
  11. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Like you said, displays can last 4-5 years? Do you know why that is? It's because they don't get as frequent or as major of updates.
  12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Jun 30, 2005
    then i guess its time for udates! :)
  13. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
    yes there is a way to get a warranty- apple now offers apple care for Displays only...same style apple care box, same great apple care
  14. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Unless you think Apple will write iChat for Windows, I seriously doubt it.
  15. Christafur macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2006
    How about HDMate or MiniMate?
    It's an HD video selector that enables ACDs to display HDTV.
    It has two component inputs to hook up xbox 360, DVD-Video, etc.
    I'm using a sample unit that I acquired from an oversea friend.
    I'm finally getting my monies worth for paying $1700 for a 23" ACD.
  16. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I still think they might, just make something to allow it to run on a Windows App that its already there.. or force some XP open source to make a code for it.. they have tons of Mac only Software.. why not some Mac only hardware:D
  17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I heard that the new ACD ad campaign would run with the banner "Pink is the New White!" :eek: ;) :D
  18. nzmc36 macrumors member

Jun 5, 2006
    Gainesville FL
    Two display or not to display?

My concern at the moment, and it's more of an aesthetic concern, is that I need a new monitor (soon), and want to buy a second in 6-12 months when the new MacPro comes out and run them as dual displays.... what I don't want to happen (again) is that I end up with two different looking displays. The timing does seem to be right and they 'seem' due soon, considering Dell uses the same supplier of LCD and they have just released new models. I wonder if they are going to go to the glossy screen?

We shall see..... just need a little (justifiable) retail therapy :) P
  19. MustardMan macrumors member

Apr 26, 2005
    Built in isights

Frankly, I don't get why everyone is so high on builtin isights. On my macbook it's convenient, but on a desktop computer, I want my webcam on a wire. I wanna be able to point it at my dogs when they are running around the floor being funny. I wanna point it at my desk to brag about my sweet setup. I wanna be able to turn it around and point it at the wall when I'm getting dressed, JUST IN CASE someone figured out a way to h4x0r my webcam. Plus, a webcam built into a 30" display would be too high in the air :D
  20. briansolomon macrumors 6502

Apr 1, 2005
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Display rumors aren't very exciting as it is. It seems to me that many people (myself included) don't particularly pay close attention to the specifications as much as how good they look. That being said, the family desktop is on it's 2nd monitor in 12 years. Maybe we'll get a flat panel when the current flat crt dies:)
  21. jaysmith macrumors regular

Aug 13, 2005
    i'm waiting for some updates, then i'm almost positive that i'll buy an acd. isight would be worthless, price needs to come down (monitor prices have dropped signifigantly in the last few years) and they need an entry level montior as well. i'd love a 17-18" (18 just to be different) widescreen display that ran a resolution of at least 1400x900 (just a ballpark).

maybe some minor changes like a slightly thinner bezel and thinner depth, just to carry on in classic apple fashion. and hd would be pretty important, maybe if they included some component and svideo ports too. but that price needs to come down, i can't justify spending more than 600cdn on a monitor on my student budget.
  22. ianjoh macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2006
    With OSX 10.5 set to include Resolution Scaling (resolution independence),
    which won't make much of a difference on 100ppi displays, don't you think Apple will up the pixel density of ACDs to 150ppi or so? Every ACD so far has been about 100ppi. Some of the Mac laptops have been as high as 133ppi, so it's possible to do it.

200ppi LCDs like the ViewSonic VP2290b still cost $7000 - $8000, so that seems out of the question! But has anyone heard anything about a bump up in resolution, without increasing the size of the screen - we don't need a 40" desktop monitor, we need more pixels/inch!
  23. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    While I agree that a built in iSight is unlikely because of the integration with iChat, I do have to point out that they wouldn't need to write iChat for Windows. All they need to do is create Windows drivers for the iSight and allow it to be used with any program. I think it is unlikely, but I thought the same thing about switching to Intel.
  24. starnox macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2005
    If they don't have built-in iSights then they will have to update the external iSight unit, since the ones included in Macs are meant to be of better spec than the external ones.
  25. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2005
    I'm looking forward to upgrade next year.

Definitely a new display and maybe a new MacBook Pro or a Mac Pro with the new OS.

Very exiting!