Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
[...]

And I was like "All the apps on 'Droid' suck. I used to have an Android phone, and out of those millions of apps only 4 or 5 of them even had any quality. Then theirs the issue of how well x app will run on y phone."

And then he just totally exploded, telling me how much better his phone was with 4g service and all that (even though their isn't Sprint 4g here in Phoenix yet)

[...]

Sounds like you and your friend need to get a life and move on :rolleyes:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think a big reason people hate on Mac users is that some Mac users tend to call anything non-Apple "garbage".

Look at the threads recently on the MacBook Air forums where users have tried comparing the Lenovo X1 or the Samsung Series 9 which are comparables to the MacBook Air, some Apple users just say "it's garbage", "it's ugly", "it's cheaply made" without having any first hand knowledge or even having ever owned the product.

I think that is what breeds the attitude from other users toward Mac users. They're so used about the "air of superiority" that the minute you mention you use a Mac, they jump on you for fear that you will jump on them.

As long as people on both sides have this sort of paranoia going (because Mac users that call any PC "garbage" "ugly" or "cheap" are as guilty as the PC users you portray here), you will get that sort of thing.

The world isn't so black and white. Apple makes good stuff, Samsung makes good stuff, HP makes good stuff, Lenovo makes good stuff, Sony makes good stuff.

Last edited:

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
Considering I use OS:X, Ubuntu (yay updates!), and Windows7 on a regular basis, I have no problems what people say about my choice of a computer.

The real issue is more when you cannot justify why you purchased a laptop that costs more. The "apple tax" exists, the question is whether you actually have thought about it and understand you are paying more for a product for specific things.

I justify my MBP because:

1) I do development, and like using OS:X for development
2) trackpad quality is worth $100 or more to me
3) I like OS:X a bit more, not overly so, but worth some ($50?)
4) I like having access to a legitament terminal
5) I like the appearance ($50)
6) I like the build quality ($50)
7) I like the keyboard and backlight ($50)
8) I like the display quality and black border, it is nice looking to me ($50)

So looking at specific features I am easily willing to pay close to $400 more for this machine than a comparable windows equivalent. So I can actually explain things to people who are like "lolMac." I spent a lot of time thinking about what computer to get and eventually got this MBP 13". I tested a LOT of computers before buying this and compared a lot of components and the MBP quality won me over. Items (1), (2), and (3) are relatively unique to Mac laptops, as compared with comparable windows based machines - I can get Windows based laptops that hit most of those items.

But a lot of mac users can't and just get a mac because they want one and act like it's superior without having any reasons other than "Apple is teh bestest!"

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Why do people hate? - Ignorance.
But not everybody does hate Apple products, there is no need to exaggerate. Look at this message board.

correct. ignorance, fear, loathing, all of it.

people hate because they draw breath into their lungs.

its as natural as opening one's eyelids.

hate is hate. nothing more.

Synchromesh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2009
SF
Who gives a crap? Let them stick with their inferior technology. You'll be doing "serious" work on your mac and getting things done efficiently, while they're crying to the geek squad that their pc crashed and they have a paper due tomorrow. Then we'll see who's laughing at who. I've managed to convert all my family and friends to apple products so i don't even deal with this anymore. I don't even know anyone who still buys pc's.

That pathetic superiority complex right there is why people hate Mac users. Hell, it's why I dislike some of them. Mac has its own issues with both software and hardware. Just because it's easier to use initially doesn't mean it's not possible to run into issues at all. Nowadays Mac is a glorified PC anyway so technology used is too close to each other to ignore any way.

There are also tasks where Mac just sucks (eg gaming) and a cheaper enthusiast-built PC will run circles over shiny but useless Mac. So before you start ragging on other people's choices at least do your research.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Same thing with iPhones, iPads, etc...

I told a friend I had an iPhone, he said he had a Samsung EPIC 4G and he was like "Yeah... you know Droid (You mean Android?) is better because we got like millions of apps."

And I was like "All the apps on 'Droid' suck. I used to have an Android phone, and out of those millions of apps only 4 or 5 of them even had any quality. Then theirs the issue of how well x app will run on y phone."

Well on the portable side, i do feel that Apple products are behind the curve. Both in build quality, specs, and the overall experience. I'm somewhat of a nerd and I've been using all kinds of electronics for years and in the portable space I feel that Android is better than iOS. Now yes, you do have the issue of fragmentation, however if, as a consumer, you get a phone with at least a 1ghz processor you'll be fine and won't have to worry about things like that.

There is a quality/quantity argument that can be had here and the general consensus is that iOS apps are of higher polish and look better. I would agree with that, however, the restrictions that the AppStore has on the applications coming iin really restricts to what you can do with the phone. The home screen always has X number of squares on it. You can scroll and move around in the dock but nothing more. Ever.

With android, I can have any number of home screens with widgets that show LIVE information, which is something I can't live without. Turning the phone on and swyping from one that shows the full weather forecast throughout the week to another that shows the specs and processes of my phone; then to another that has my calendar and tasks that I have laid out for me (which are automatically synced) and many more. And all free.

So yes... you do have two sides here, you just have to find out which is better for you. And lets not even get into the custom firmware side of things; with Android phones and a little help from XDA, you can have that thing running custom firmware that enables free bluetooth/wifi/usb tethering, overclocking/undervolting, and many other things.

-------------------------------
TLDR -Why do people hate Apple product users, for no reason? Is it because they're jealous that they can't afford such superior products? Honestly, I'm tired of a bunch of chumps with $300 Acer netbooks trolling all over my MBP. Like wtf? Good luck getting that thing to last you 2+ years.
--------------------------------

Now I don't think it's for no reason, however I do agree that a large percentage of people just don't know enough about Apple products and as a result, they rely on the price tag to justify the argument of an ignorrant buy. "You can do more with a PC." I then ask, what can you do with yours that I can't do with mine? A lot of it boils down to enterprice or business centric programs that you normally wouldn't just buy for the average consumer. You do have the whole editing side of the argument as well but how many editors actually think ("Mac or PC?") I'm sure at that point, they already know what they need to use and what we argue here doesn't have an impact on that.

Then you have to think about the average person who buys a Mac and what they do with it. I just finished my freshman year at the university and I frequently visited a local coffee shop down the street. WHile I was there, I saw a lot of Macbooks as well as a lot of PCs, however the MBs constantly outnumbered the PCs.
I started to notice that most people with MBs in there didn't do anything... wel that required a system of their specifications. You have to remember that many things average consumers use dont' really require, and I said require" a computer over 2 gigs of ram and a dual core processor. With that said, the average PC user asks "Why do they need a computer that's double the cost of mine with the same specs? They're just undereducated (in the tech sense) and have money to blow."

This might be true for a lot of people, however PC users have to realize that we are all on message boards, we (for the most part) aren't the average consumer. As Mac users, we could make the same argument about the technical know-how of the average PC user as well.

My apologies for it being a little long winded, however I feel that these arguments really don't need to be had as you can't make a general sweeping statement because in all honesty, we don't know how "everyone" feels nor do we know everyone's fluency or use of their computer, either Mac or PC.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
That pathetic superiority complex right there is why people hate Mac users. Hell, it's why I dislike some of them. Mac has its own issues with both software and hardware. Just because it's easier to use initially doesn't mean it's not possible to run into issues at all. Nowadays Mac is a glorified PC anyway so technology used is too close to each other to ignore any way.

There are also tasks where Mac just sucks (eg gaming) and a cheaper enthusiast-built PC will run circles over shiny but useless Mac. So before you start ragging on other people's choices at least do your research.

This is exactly what I was referring to earlier when I make the above post. There is a certain mindset that "ignorant" Mac users have that their PC is ultimately better. I don't think it is. There are pros and cons of any operating system, no matter who you are and what you're using it for.

Instead of providing logical rebuttals that Mac users should use, they instead (and I'm just making a generalization here, nothing scientifically backed) reply about why PC computers aren't as good either, using things like them breaking, bad warranties, and getting viruses. Both of these are applicable for BOTH Mac and PC users.

I feel that people should instead talk about the experience they have. If your experience is great on a PC but that much better on a Mac, that's great; that's how my experience was personally. however bashing any other based on tech specs, price, and possibilities isn't really a "good" argument.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
OP: Can I point out how childish it is to use "like" in that way in conversation. Example: And I was like, all apps on the droid suck.

You sound like a bitchy teenage girl in a girly American movie.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
TLDR -Why do people hate Apple product users, for no reason? Is it because they're jealous that they can't afford such superior products? Honestly, I'm tired of a bunch of chumps with $300 Acer netbooks trolling all over my MBP. Like wtf? Good luck getting that thing to last you 2+ years.

why do you even care? EVERYTHING is always going to have haters. realistically, in cases like this, they are just immature. if the product works for you and you like it, good for you. if not, buy something else. it's not that hard. however, its all personal preference, and nobody really gives a damn what you think, so why should you care what they think?

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Why don't you spend less time in front of a computer and more time doing real things. You are lacking of social skills.

MrMac'n'Cheese

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2010
When some says Macs suck because you cannot right-click, I feel like punching them into a wall.

They are just haters who can't afford Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.