Everyone must try Uplink!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Pancake, May 29, 2003.

1. Pancake macrumors regular

Pancake

I downloaded a game called Uplink from http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/uplink/ and it is awesome. I highly reccomend it. I can't stop playing it. Everyone should check it out. It is as addicting as it is gratifying.

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Wow. Ambrosia has come a long way. Screenshots look pretty impressive. I'm downloading.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dan

3. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Thanks for the notice. Looks cool! Both mirrors are down though. :-(

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I have tried playing it, I am stuck it seems.

I am using the tutorial I buy version 2 of the track tracker and then there is no next button...wtf

And when I try to hack there server I get tracked anyway, wtf is that!

5. colocolo macrumors 6502

The tutorial isn't working correctly, it seems it's a bug as many ppl in the Ambrosia forums report the same problem. To hack the server, do not connect directly to it, bounce thorugh the other servers first. To do this, open the world map and click on the other servers first, and as your final bounce, the test server. Thendo the hack, you'll have around 40 secs to do the task.

6. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

I downloaded it when the demo was first realised.
    I beat the demo. It was Very fun. When you finaly get it to work, its great. the Tutorial happened to me too, you just quit the tutorial, and hack it on your own, thats what i did. And the more you progress, you should bounce around servers as much as possible.

Aethier

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

bah!
    If only the tutorial told me how to bounce before the 'program' itself stopped!

gah!

8. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

I just don't.. get it..

Where's the challange in all this? It does not seem to take any thinking at all. Am I missing something?

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Fine, tell me.

10. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Hm.. it grew on me. Just paid my first shareware fee. Ever.

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I sorta asked for help...

Can you tell me how to hack... lol, I am missing something after I get the trace tracker?

12. Pancake thread starter macrumors regular

Pancake

Bouncing Your Hack

After you get the password-cracker and a trace tracker. Disconnect from the Uplink Internal Services Machine(I think that what's it called). Then click on the world map looking thing in the upper right of the screen. It should show little squares representing your Gateway, the Uplink International Bank, the intNIC(I think), the Uplink Internal Services, the Uplink Public Access server, and the Uplink Test server. It might also show other servers. Start connecting the dots with the last dot being the Uplink test machine. This means you are connected through all those others servers before the Test Machine. The more jumps between you and the machine you are hacking, the longer thier trace will take. After you connect make sure your Tract Tracker is running, you never rerally have to turn it off, and then open your password cracker and break your way in. Once in, copy the file and disconnect. Finally, hit the "reply" button in the mission email thing and attach the file you copied.

Hope that is what you needed.

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Thanks I thought you can only connect to one server at a time, not bouncing your time.

thankers.

14. Pancake thread starter macrumors regular

Pancake

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

ah, thanks.

It seems like if you miss kill one mission then you can't win at all!

I failed to do a mission because I need 20,000 for some HUD thing and I only got 9000!

Damn!
    The stupid proxy thing needs this HUD device... arg!

16. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

cool I loved the escape velocity games so I sure this one will be great to thanks for the link:D

17. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Just speed up time until more missions you can do open up.

You really are having a lot of trouble with this, aren't you? Think man, and RTFM.

18. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Ah, I never thought of that, thankers.

And as for the acronym, I don't do well with those either... RTFM?

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Read The "Fine" Manual ;)

20. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yeah this game is very fun. ive gone as far as i can go and i bought me a serial. does anybody know if registering this game phones home because i plan on putting this on all my macs so i can play whenever, i just dont want them to jump on me or ban my serial or something.

iJon

21. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

hm, looks really cool. I ll try it. Thx for the info.

22. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Email them and ask. As long as you do not run more than 1 at once you should be fine.

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

haha people are saying where is the challenge. this game gets frickin hard. i was doing really good but i got fired, guess i missed a log to delete. its very fun and addicting.

iJon

24. Pancake thread starter macrumors regular

Pancake

You are right iJon. I thought I was doing awesome, I had 19000 and a whole bunch of programs and suddenly I was busted by a company I hacked like 15 missions ago. It really threw me off. I've read the best way to avoid that is by always start your hacks by making InterNIC(whatever) the first link in you chain and then after every mission hack into it and delete the logs with a quality Log Deleter. Apparantly you only nee to delete the logs on the first computer you jump through to stay safe.

25. springscansing macrumors 6502a

springscansing

Always route though InterNIC and delete the logs with a 4.0 deleter and you'll be virtually impossible to trace via passive means.

As for money, I have 3200000 now. I got admin access to a bank. As for how to do that without getting caught, I'll let you figure that out. :) It requires more than just stopping the passive trace. You have to cover all evidence of the money transfer as well.