Everyone under 18: Your Jobs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jer446, Aug 26, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

This isnt necesarilly a picture thread, but it needed to go in the same place as the other one. Lets hear how all the kids here make some money, wether you own your own business, or have a job, tell us about it here.
    I currently am looking for a job, but it is hard to find a place that hires at 15, i need to wait a few months until i turn 16. I have working experience, but unfortunately my boss died at my former job.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

excited to hear about the all 18 and unders that some how manage to make 30k a year ;)

3. _Matt macrumors 6502

4. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

5. Chubypig macrumors 6502

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

My first job at 16 was working as a web developer and a photographer at a small ad agency

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I know it's thread about current jobs but when I was 15 started repairing PCs and assisting people about DOS --> Win 3.11 ---> Win 95 *switch* and Windows training :eek:, what a pain!

-Click start
    -Right or left click?
    -Left!
    -Ohh sorry!
    -No, the other one is left!!

8. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

well it doesnt have to be about current jobs, any ideas or suggestions are great.

9. Bass macrumors member

Well, I'm 18 and work for National Grid Transco here in England. I have worked here for 8 months now and it was my first full-time job. It pays very well, especially for somebody of 18. My role involves collation of data and information. I'm mostly working with databases and spreadsheets to analyse data to find out where we can improve and help put procedures in place to do so.

I left college at 17, after doing a year of A-Levels. I found out that it wasn't for me. I have done bit's and pieces in the past including Web Design & Graphic Design which I've earnt some money from.

The best part about my job is that I am a bit of a statto and I like working with numbers and most of my job involves that. As I said, it is well paid - it has already bought me my iMac, an iBook and countless other bits of tech related stuff. There's also a good chance of career progression through the company which is definately something that I want to do.

10. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

Wow dude, you managed to get a job like that without A-Levels? I'm thinking about quitting school (education doesn't really agree with me). Every job I've seen requires some sort of qualifications above A-Levels.

How did you get that job..through the standard application procedure? Well done..

11. CompUser Guest

Selling stuff on eBay for this lady who owns a store. I sold her first ebay item the other day, which was an "Angelina Ballerina" toyset. The final bid was for $481.50. So if I take 15%-25%, that is a lot.

12. Bass macrumors member

Well, I started out working on another department called Dispatch. I applied for that position normally, it was advertised in the local newspaper.

I got that job, worked hard and expressed my feelings about the skills I possessed and what they'd be better suited to. Eventually this kind of position came up and I went for it, and got it.

I may only have AS Levels, and not proper A-Levels, but I have a myriad of other qualifications. Including quite a lot of good grade GCSE's, (G)NVQ's and other computer related qualifications.

With regard to quitting full-time education, I certainly haven't missed it. I found myself becoming lazy and un-motivated during studying for A-Levels and I didn't like feeling that way. So I decided to leavel, and I haven't looked back. I'll admit it can be hard finding a job. It took me a while, but I was lucky because I was able to earn money doing some part-time web design with a local company.

13. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

Stay in school, but get enrolled in an art school.
    You can still work and progress in the company, but keep learning, even if it is one class a semester.

14. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

When I was 16-18, I worked for Electronics Boutique. Once a geek, always a geek.

Hickman

15. wako macrumors 65816

I just recently quitted my job...

I worked for BestBuy

16. efoto macrumors 68030

From 15-16 I worked for a 'fancy' restaurant in my hometown, then quit that to go work at a summer camp (that I attended as a youth) because it sounded like more fun, despite the lower pay. At 17/18 I was working as a Web Sales Manager for an import repair/sales place (automotive), which was pretty cool. Since managing the web sales only took a couple hours a day, I apprenticed the detailer in the back and became the second-in-line detailer for when he was sick/gone. I did that job 5 days a week (after HS classes let out) and then also cleaned the garage on Saturday mornings for extra under-the-table cash :D

For a suggestion, find something that you really love to do, then see if there is a company locally that does that and could utilize someone of your age group as summer help, or perhaps year-round part time help (assuming you are taking lectures).
    Lawncare and landscaping companies make a lot of money and usually pay quite well, snow-removal in the winter rocks too for paychecks.

17. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I work at a supermarket chain, as the Milk Boy :cool: The proper name is Dairy department, but i like the ring of Milk Boy :p

18. lucas3735 macrumors newbie

19. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

lol... I suspect you saw all our fancy setups at "Everyone Under 18, Post your setups" (or w/e its called).

- Im a Once a week Paper boy

- Well known Babysitter in my neighborhood (I can make 7-11 dollars an hour depending on age and amount of kids) (Which is were most of the money is coming in right now)

- Lawn Mower

- PowerPoint/Keynote creater - I basically make Presintations for people that have no clue about computers. This hasn't taken off that much... but I'm hoping to make it into a good business. Right now I only have my dad, a neighbor, and a local business.

edit- I also forgot I help out my mom with projects... next week were building a fence.

edit 2- Im 14 so I can't get a real job for a company. I'd like to be a bus boy at a nice restruant and then move up to waiter... for some reason I've always wanted to do that. :)

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

21. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Now THAT is THE job to have. But I am pretty sure that you have to be at least 18 for this one.

Hickman

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

23. Spario macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm 18 and working for Farmer Insurance Group. I work in their Los Angeles Data Center. What i do is work with their Silo library system(just got STK's StreamLines in ).

24. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I've been working at a local printing business for the past 4 years.
    I do:
    Typesetting
    Developing
    Press work
    binding
    folding
    collating
    numbering
    and everything else a print shop does

I love it! but I think I'm a bit underpaid. :eek:

25. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

This summer was all about me finally getting a job after turning 16. Now, after doing all sorts of things this summer, I'm starting to work.

I've got all my certs to be a lifeguard and swim instructor, even applied for a job and all that jazz, but I've gone a totally different direction since it wasn't particularly what I wanted to do for working at this age.

That's one thing I've really learned: never (or rarely ;) ) work in something you don't have too much interest in unless you really need some place to start.

So after three paragraphs, what do I do? I'm a private violin teacher, and very soon I'll have quite a few students (as of right now I'm starting with two). It's fun for me, it's (well, hopefully) fun for the students I work with too.

I'm also doing some web developing for my parents non-profit and real estate companies, as well as developing my own small business with my step-father.

Oh, I'm a high school student too. Well, you didn't ask PAYING jobs. :p ;)

I'm one of those people who loves to do too many things and I haven't decided what I really want to do when I get older, but hopefully trying a few things out will give me a good idea.
    -Chase