everything is gone!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nbs2, Nov 15, 2004.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I posted this in another thread, but it's worse than just ical, and am really concerned.

I opened ical, and all my cals were gone. i followed a suggestion and tried to copy them back in from the library, but even in the library, they are empty. I reset my computer, hoping that would help (it worked in windows), but when my account loaded, my desktop image was changed. then, i loaded safari, and all my prefs were gone. cookies disappeared - i had to log in again here and elsewhere. mail lost a bunch of old emails. my email accounts disappeared, i had to relist them. i'm not sure what else is gone. what on earth could have happened?

while i don't regret switching over, even the worst crashes on my pc were fixed by rebooting - losing all of this is the worst result i've ever had.

i've updated everything, and just updated the airport software today, but don't understand how that could have been the problem. i'm using a pb15 1.25 with 10.3.6.

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I had this happen once to me too. I really don't know what happened. All I can say is that I hope you have a recent backup.

I'm on a 12" 1 GHz PB, rev. C. I think I was running 10.3.4 at the time (it happened last July).

3. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

This may seem stupid, but do you only have your one user account on the machine? Is it possible that you were automatically logged into another user account? :confused:

Good luck,

Tim

4. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

what happened to the display?

I do have two accounts, one of which is an extremely simplified guest account. My account is very different.

Tere is one issue that I can't seem to figure out. My desktop images are stratched out. I can't remember how to set preferences so that it doesn't do that. any thoughts?

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i had this happen when i had filevault turned on when 10.3 first came out. it was devistating, except i was smart and did a full backup before i installed 10.3. so everything was saved in the end. aside from a bakcup, i do not know another way to recover the data.

as for the desktop background go to systemprefs>Desktop & Screen Saver then on the Desktop tab next to the small preview will be a pull down menu with the option of 'fill screen' 'stretch to fill screen' 'center' or 'tile' select whichever fits you best, except stretch :)