Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfeen

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Lies, lies, lies

Ask “Who was President when Queen Elizabeth II was born”. Siri is unable to provide an answer and suggests performing a web search.

WRONG!!!!! I asked Siri this and she easily got the correct answer, on the first try: Calvin Coolidge

Take that Evi:D

Ian1982

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Scotland, UK
Not working

So far, no good. Asked a few questions like: "who were the seven dwarfs" "who was the 10th president of the united states" and while the recognition appears to be good (thanks Nuance) the responses have all been uniformly unhelpful:

"I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute."

I'd rather get a web search than a no response.

That's what I'm getting...could be a victim of its own quick success?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Am I correct in assuming that you can't say "Email John Smith" or do texts, and the like. It's not integrated with any apps, right. It just answers question...:confused:

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
"Install Evi on an iPhone 4S and compare it to Evi."

Really; Install Evi on an iPhone and then compare it to itself?

I see. I'll give it a shot. -- Just as I assumed. Evi is better than Evi.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Am I correct in assuming that you can't say "Email John Smith" or do texts, and the like. It's not integrated with any apps, right. It just answers question...:confused:

That sounds about right. There's one enormous flaw here with Evi. Siri is system-wide integration, while Evi is its own app.

While Siri can interact with the entire iPhone, Evi can only interact with, well, its built-in browser.

In addition, Siri can be brought up at any moment. Evi, as an app, must be found, launched, and then used. Not exactly handy for on-the-spot needs.

Last edited:

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Well, from the looks of it, it's a huge server issue.

I think Evi people kinda knew this was happening, but if they are start up that uses couple of Mac Mini servers, I think it might take more than 24 hours to buy more servers to handle the issues.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Does not change the fact that it is a BS blocking.

What is a "BS blocking"? Sounds like the Bills' post-season strategy, LOL.
It tells us that Apple though the 4S was a crummy upgraded and they needed a BS reasons to force it.

A better phone in every respect, and one that didn't need to be any better. Still the #1 handsets - all of them have an Apple logo on the back. I don't see consumers complaining. In fact, come this quarters' results, all we'll see is record sales.
No matter how you cut it the Siri on 4S is a completely BS software block.

Your complaint is your own. That "BS software block" also keeps Siri off Android junk-ware, where something as well-implemented as Siri, wrapped in gorgeous hardware and and a refined OS, has no place.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I just checked out the reviews in iTunes for Evi - not good. Seems to come up short in answering question, but that's not really a problem at the moment because no one can get on the servers.

From the user reviews, it appears Evi is not all that much better than Google Search.

Since I haven't tried it personally - take the above for what it's worth - hearsay testimony.:D

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
What is a "BS blocking"? Sounds like the Bills' post-season strategy, LOL.

A better phone in every respect, and one that didn't need to be any better. Still the #1 handsets - all of them have an Apple logo on the back. I don't see consumers complaining. In fact, come this quarters' results, all we'll see is record sales.

Your complaint is your own. That "BS software block" also keeps Siri off Android junk-ware, where something as well-implemented as Siri, wrapped in gorgeous hardware and and a refined OS, has no place.

ah the classic LTD switching and FUD.

Where did I say that Siri should be allowed to be on Android.
I was talking about the fact that Siri is not allowed on 3GS, or 4. That is the BS.
Saying that 3GS and 4 is fully updated when it lacking that features of iOS5 means it not really fully updated. There is no reason for Siri to be block from those other than the fact Apple is being greedy and likes to screw over its customers.

gfeen

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
ah the classic LTD switching and FUD.

Where did I say that Siri should be allowed to be on Android.
I was talking about the fact that Siri is not allowed on 3GS, or 4. That is the BS.
Saying that 3GS and 4 is fully updated when it lacking that features of iOS5 means it not really fully updated. There is no reason for Siri to be block from those other than the fact Apple is being greedy and likes to screw over its customers.

Siri is not a part of iOS 5. Siri is a unique piece of software that is specific for the iPhone 4S, just like the iPhone 4 had a better camera than the iPhone 3GS and so on. It would be the same as complaining as why do some Android phones have faster processors than others. Or why is the HTC Evo 3D not giving the HTC Evo the 3D feature. The reason: because it is unique to that handset just like Siri is to the iPhone 4S

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Well, from the looks of it, it's a huge server issue.

I think Evi people kinda knew this was happening, but if they are start up that uses couple of Mac Mini servers, I think it might take more than 24 hours to buy more servers to handle the issues.

They aren't some little startup. They have full Nuance licensing, their own algorithms for Q&A (better than Siri's) as well as full patents on the technology.

Apple had a huge server problem when Siri launched, in fact Apple has server problems when they launch any web based service...they have yet to release a web based service without it crapping out within a couple of hours of launch.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
All the App Store reviews say it doesn't work. I'm guessing it's because their servers can't take the load, but just the same, I'm going to hold off on buying.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
To be fair, Apple has a long history of using software to sell hardware. As do a few other companies. Something such as Siri being 4S only despite it easily being able to run on the 3GS or 4 shouldn't have come as a surprise.

On topic, picked up this Evi app. Its okay I guess, a bit slow and always seems to show links to the answers. Hopefully development will continue.

Bwinski

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2010
EVI..... NOT ready for ANY TIME....

So,, EVI is being rolled out... From the responses I got from her and her developers web knowledge base, they need to start over again....from scratch.
Question 1... Find me the Oakley Hotel in Windsor Englang... Ans..... duh..

Question 2 ... What is he best ice crearm in Antwerp Belgium? ..ans... Dud..

Question 3... Find me a eafood restaurant on the harbor in Balitmore Maryland ...ans... Duh...

Question 4.. Find me a barbecue restaurant in Austin , Texas.... Ans... Duh.

ABSOLUTELY USELESS.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
so far Siri is killing it compared to evi, for me anyway.

Also for those out there who like to jailbreak, there are a few simple, free tweaks out there that makes Siri way better. Voice activation, toggling settings, etc. Makes using Siri while driving a lot easier and 100% hands free.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
While those results might be interesting, apple pie baking and presidents with the Queen's reign are not things I personally would be asking Siri or Evi

Exactly, can Evi send text messages, make phone calls or schedule reminders/appointments?

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Exactly, can Evi send text messages, make phone calls or schedule reminders/appointments?

It will be on Android because. Android allows apps are allowed to make system calls and request something else be run.
From there the user get a pop up to choose from a list of Apps that can run the given request and if the user wants to can set this up default for that call from given location.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Well....

Guys, if I'm nt mistaking, Siri is still a Beta version. I'm sure she'll grow up to Evi and maybe even mature more after it gets out of beta phase ........

What do you think?

I am officially 100% fed up with Apple Apologists saying Siri is still beta....Apple uses it as a selling point in print and tv commercials. It is NOT beta. It is in a production environment and being touted as a great tool by its owner and NEVER in their tv commercials is the word "beta" uttered. Never.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I am officially 100% fed up with Apple Apologists saying Siri is still beta....Apple uses it as a selling point in print and tv commercials. It is NOT beta. It is in a production environment and being touted as a great tool by its owner and NEVER in their tv commercials is the word "beta" uttered. Never.

never

nZh3V.png

Apple says it's in beta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.