Evidence of Apple Maps for OS X Shows Up in iOS 6 Beta

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Technically Personal reports on some interesting code found in iOS 6 suggesting that Apple's new mapping solution may be making its way to OS X in some form. The evidence, discovered by developer Cody Cooper, arrives by way of references to several older Intel graphics solutions for which map features such as shading are disabled.
    [​IMG]

It is unclear exactly what form Apple's maps would take on the Mac and whether the references are simply for hooks into map-enabled apps on OS X or if there is some more significant mapping solution coming to the Mac.

Apple's new mapping system is a key feature of iOS 6, enabling Apple to break free of the Google Maps relationship it has relied upon since the iPhone's launch in 2007. Apple's maps, developed in partnership with TomTom and other providers, will include integration of Siri with turn-by-turn directions, "Flyover" 3D-view imagery, and integration with Yelp for local search information.

Update: As several readers have noted, with the files being inside the iPhone simulator package, it is possible that the references are merely addressing functionality of the simulator to allow developer to test their apps without an actual device.

Article Link: Evidence of Apple Maps for OS X Shows Up in iOS 6 Beta

2. macrumors member

No.

3. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Very interesting, thoughtful, and well explicated start for the discussion.:rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68030

needfx

We need a Judge's ruling of this being cool to register in our fragile little minds

5. macrumors 6502

Makes sense. I can imagine something in iCloud where I look up directions on my computer, and by the time I'm in my car Siri is all ready to take me where I want to go.

6. macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

I uncovered a screenshot of Maps for OS X! :eek:

[​IMG]

Oh wait, that's iPhoto '09. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors P6

Peace

maps.apple.com

:)

8. macrumors G5

Consultant

Yeah that would be a good feature, however right now, just email yourself the address and click the link when you are on the iPhone. Very easy.

9. macrumors 65816

lifeinhd

Hm, would be neat if I could enter directions into Maps on the computer, then get in the car and the directions are on my iPhone.

EDIT: Beat to it. Nuts.

10. macrumors member

First World Problems... :confused:

11. macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Its all got to link to iPhoto, find my phone etc, hasn't it?

12. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

no guys; that's a first hint on a new intel/OSX based tablet running to compete with MS Surface ... of course it would need MAPS. I'm not yet giving up on this dream.

13. macrumors newbie

This could very well be for the iOS simulator... Remember it's not an EMULATOR, so it runs everything for an i386 platform, and it uses the Mac graphic card...

14. macrumors 68000

Nice catch! Strange for that feature to have its own domain name.... that means something!

15. Guest

Sky Blue

Wouldn't be surprised to see some native Maps app in 10.9, along with some Siri integration. You could ask, " How long would it take me to get to..." on your Mac.

16. macrumors 6502

Makes sense to me, if you're going to have a Maps app on the iPhone/iPad, why not have the app for the Mac, too? No reason to look at Google Maps on the PC and then on the iPhone, too.

The 'cross-platform bit' with iPhoto would be awesome, as well.

17. macrumors 68000

Reason077

Umm, there's no big secret here folks:

Maps runs on OS X when it's running on the iOS Simulator.

Since it obviously uses 3D hardware pretty extensively, they're disabling/blacklisting some OpenGL features that don't work on the crappier desktop 3D chipsets.

18. macrumors 65816

GenesisST

Still much better than: "First!"...

19. macrumors 6502

probably going to nicely integrate with Contacts, Find my iPhone/Mac, iPhoto... And why not a few nice weather or traffic widgets (btw Dashboard widgets could use a little facelift).
    Or a Safari-wide maps API that recognizes adresses and offers you directions from home from a simple right-click, from the comfort of you desktop? That and a neat iCloud sync and I think we have a nice-to-have feature.

20. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Well...barely.;):D

21. macrumors 6502

One more thing...

When this happens, I'm going to use Airplay to get Flyover on my 59" HDTV, and pretend I'm superman.

22. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

That's like saying "I have tuberculosis, but at least it's not ebola."

23. macrumors 65816

Would love to be able to get directions on my mac and push them to my iPhone before I hit the road. That would be a welcome feature.

24. macrumors 65816

This could simply be for iOS Simulator use. You can now write helpers to maps, so you might need a way to test them in the simulator.

25. macrumors 68040

I hope so. Its bad enough that they are putting this on iOS, let alone OS X.