Evil Microsoft

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AppleMatt, Aug 25, 2003.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

In my typically tactless and controversial style, I'd like everyone to provide stories/links etc to evil things Microsoft have done in their time.

This is partly because I'm always reading tidbits and never seeing them again, and partly because a friend just emailed to say Microsoft were the lesser of two evils compared to Apple. So I want to bash him.

(before anyone bashes me for being a Mac zealot, I used PC's before Macs and own more Windows machines than Macs)

AppleMatt

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

"Evil Microsoft"

-AppleMatt

Under redundant in the dictionary, it says "see redundant".

Sorry. Door- wiiiide.

:D

Ok. Point one. Motivations.

Apple's corporate spirit is founded around creating the best possible computing life experience possible.

Microsoft's corporate spirit is to sell as much software possible.

These are not compatible spirits.

So automatically you get the Quality vs. Quantity thing.

Where does this interface with the people of the companies? Apple employees can get excited about putting something into the computing experience that adds to life. Microsoft employees can get exited about a new plug-in that closes ports to security problems.

Neither is wrong or right. But it is illustrative of the focus of the products.

End result: Apple is incredibly customer focused, Microsoft is not.

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Earlier this summer my sister had a big problem with XP. She had to reinstall a lot of stuff, including Word. Well, because of the registry key issue, if Windows detects that you attempted to install and use the same key a second time, it basically locks it out and refuses to let you use word at all. She was still in school and needed to use word to finish her papers for her finals in high school. What did I have to do? Spend 2 hours on the phone begging them to let us use a second key! They were basically like "Oh well, you can buy a new version of Word XP for only $199." What the heck kind of customer policy is that? You have to reinstall because *there* product was not stable and then force you to *repurchase* because of their mistakes. After a complete run-around for a couple of hours I told them what I thought of their customer service, of their business tactics, about how sick it is they will let my sister in the room crying her eyes our because she is going to fail her class, and have us beg them to let us use a program purchased by us. It took the combined compaining an begging by me an the threats of my dad to sue for bad business tactics before they finally gave us a new registry key to make it work again.

How does Apple deal with your use of their software? You pop in the CD, click install, and you can use it. As simple as that.

So who is the lesser of two evils?

I'm afraid when Bill dies, he might find a way to create a monopoly in hell and steal the power of evil from the Devil himself.

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I dont know what the heck you are talking about with the registry key locking you out. I have reinstalled windows several times, and each time I reinstalled word, i used the same registry key; no problems. Maybe your sister should have typed more carefully. :)

5. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Well it was a student edition and apparently it conflicted with what Windows' registry was reading (it was purchased after the computer) so I have no clue, but it was logged as invalid use of multiple copies or whatever by the computer.

7. crackpip macrumors regular

If you want a good article about why microsoft is evil, checkout the website,
    microsuck.com. This is the site formally known as ****microsoft.com.

The article is entitled "What's so bad about Microsoft?" or some variant thereof.

crackpip

8. xpormac macrumors regular

this post is nothing but trash, sorry. So is this thread<not trying to offend threadmaker> but dang, microsoft is a company. Companies want money. Same as Apple. Get over this "ooooh bad microsoft.....your software sucks......your company is the devil!" nonsense. Microsofts software is not unstable. People don't wast their money on a PC. They buy a product that they wanted. Thats not wasting their money. Also, they are not slightly cheeper. They are much cheeper. Businesses don't use microsoft software because they like wasting money. As for having their personal files leaked onto the internet by hackers....Thank you, I needed to laugh :rolleyes: . Hamsters can live 5 years. Thats a good enough timespan for any computer :D

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Many things to say about that, but I'll be nice. Simply put, Microsoft software is not cheap. If you think PCs are that stable, then I guess the rest of the world has been living in an alternate reality. And if a few years is what you consider a decent lifespan for a computer, then I feel sorry for you. I've seen so many Macs that are going on 20 years old that are still working perfectly. Our last Gateway lasted about 2 1/2 years and not a single part in the computer was original (replaced 3 power supplies, 2 modems, 3 HDs, 2 logic boards, 4 CD burners...) As far as business tactics, at least Apple is customer friendly. Whenever I've had a problem, Apple has gone out of their way to repair, fix, or solve the problem for me. Microsoft's solution is basically "Buy another one and give us more money". If you don't like this thread, then by all means, don't read it, but a lot of these points are valid, if you excuse the sprinklings of our distain for Microsoft (which I have to say is pretty much justified).

10. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

xpormac,
    I wasn't offended by your post, but it's far from accurate (in places). Windows is stable? Product that they wanted? Usable life-span of a machine?

As for the personal files leaked, it happens. Pretending it doesn't won't help anyone! I guess that could also be applied/extended to the metadata in Word documents that most people are unaware of.

For the record, I don't want Microsoft to die or anything like that, as I said I have more Windows machines than Macs, if Microsoft went under I'd be in quite a bit of trouble.

Just harmless fun, as I indicated with "tactless and controversial style", it's nothing serious. Also remember it's usually better to say "I don't agree with this post/thread" instead of "This is trash", much less chance for offence ;).

AppleMatt

11. xpormac macrumors regular

Gateways are trash. Period.

Sorry, lol should have said that. Felt like getting people going. Classes just started back up and biology is already wanting to kick my ass hehe.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

13. xpormac macrumors regular

microsoft evil :D lol.

14. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Perhaps Bill's middle name is Calculus...oh the evilness of it.

15. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Heeeeeeeeeeey!

;)

16. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Or they don't know alternatives (Mac, Linux, etc.) exist and they think that Wintel is the only option. People buy whatever they see at the store.

I don't see how the noises they make make them better. ;) PCs may be cheaper up-front (even that is arguable) but the long-term favors Macs by quite a margin.

No, they use it because MS has a monopoly and their products have become a standard for office and productivity work. MS competes viciously to keep their hold on business licenses and cries bloody murder if a large contract (such as a country) opts for something else.

Yeah, MSBlast and Sobig have everyone rolling in the aisles as they clog up large networks like my university. :rolleyes:

At any rate, I think calling MS "evil" is quite a stretch. However, they are very competitive, but already have a strong hold on the market. They are constantly in court for stealing other people's work and for antitrust infringement - ample reason to dislike them.

17. bobindashadows macrumors 6502

Actually, I have a feeling that the employees at Apple get excited about the new Operating System, and MS employees can rejoice over the fact that their paychecks are larger than Apple Employees. I don't have facts, but I wouldn't surprised at all if MS employees made more then Apple. Apparently Apple's employees are notoriously underpaid for their work compared to the same work at other companies (I forget where I read this, sorry)

18. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'd still rather work for Apple than work for Microsoft (unless I were an undercover Apple employee working for Microsoft and could collect on two paychecks while I slap Apple stickers on everything). :)

19. coopdog macrumors 6502a

All I have to say is... Oh my god hold on!

Bill get away from my dog!

He tried to steal the latest XP update!!

Bill, I thought they were free.

No, now if people want XP to work they must PAAAAYYYY!!! NOW HE MUST PAY!

He's a DOG BILL!

I DON'T CARE, HE MUST PAY!

Bill put the $%^&*#% shovel down!

STEVE Help me!!!

Bill sees Steve and runs away like a little girl.

Steve how did you get him to run away!??!!

I just showed him a pic of our G5. He's just running to his legal department to see what they can steal from our design. :p :p

Then Steve and I go on a bike ride and have a great time.

What ever I'm bored :rolleyes::

20. RobVanDam macrumors member

Here's a question.

How many satisfied customers does each company have?

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple has more.

21. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I use OS X on a 350 G4, pretty slow. I use XP pro on a 2.4 GHZ PC fast. I enjoy OS X MUCH BETTER.

22. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I see no other goal for Microsoft than complete world domination. First off, you don't get 90% market share of ANYTHING unless you've lied, cheated, and stolen your way to it. Then, once you have the impossibly high market share of 90%, if you're not happy and want more and enter into new areas, then world domination must be your goal. We're about at the point where Gates/Hitler comparisons aren't inappropraite.

Somebody mentioned microsuck.com--read that. It pretty much sums it up.

23. laukev7 macrumors member

I am a member and frequent poster at Microsuck, and let me tell you that the article only barely scratches the surface. There are some interesting discussions in the forums, too. You could learn about many Microsoft stories that would make your skin crawl, believe me.

I should post here more often.

24. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I should get my mom to read the site...the other day I saw her subscribing for a .NET passport and I told her about all the shadey things Microsoft does to its customers and all and she didn't believe me until I made her read through the full EULA, after a good while with that, she decided not to subscribe and now she's a bit bothered by using XP.

25. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

QUOTE]Originally posted by xpormac
    this post is nothing but trash, sorry. So is this thread<not trying to offend threadmaker> but dang, microsoft is a company. Companies want money. Same as Apple. Get over this "ooooh bad microsoft.....your software sucks......your company is the devil!" nonsense. Microsofts software is not unstable. People don't wast their money on a PC. They buy a product that they wanted. Thats not wasting their money. Also, they are not slightly cheeper. They are much cheeper. Businesses don't use microsoft software because they like wasting money. As for having their personal files leaked onto the internet by hackers....Thank you, I needed to laugh :rolleyes: . Hamsters can live 5 years. Thats a good enough timespan for any computer :D [/QUOTE]

xpormac - I may have go a bit out of hand, but when you work with customers who don't know anything about computing, when placed in front of an apple or a pc they agree that apples look better and that the operating system looks better but they don't buy one because of compatiblity when all they use it for is the internet, e-mails, music and photos; I get fed up of ignorant customers.

Secondly I also work for a company every other week sorting out their Microsoft computer systems, so many problems occur it really drives me crazy.

I don't own a mac, I will order a 12" powerbook soon.

I will always have a Microsoft pc well as an apple because each operating systems have their own advantages and disadvantages. I just don't like the fact that personal privacy means nothing to Microsoft, I don't break the law, and all my software is legal, so why does this bother me, well I just like to be trusted, Loads of people I know use pirated software, they ruin it for the rest of us.

No one I know privates apple software, they feel respect for Apple.

Sorry if you felt my last post was trash maybe I went to far lol :D

P.s. my Hamster lasted 2 years!!