Evolution’s foes lose ground in Kansas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Aug 2, 2006.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

from the good news front: msnbc

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    This is good news. Now if we can get the rest of the 3rd World States (KY, TN, MS, LA, TX, etc.) to get to this point, we'll get closer to FACT being taught and less hearsay.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good news... someone must have designed it that way. :p

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i like to think that public opinion has been evolving :)

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Nah, the dinosaurs are simply becoming extinct.

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Under the current govt I would say de-evolving back into superstition,religious gobblygoo and made up pseudoscience.

7. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Did any of you guys see on this biot on SNL's weekend update a while back?

“In Georgia this week, a compromise was reached that will allow the word ‘evolution’ to continue to be used in classrooms. As a trade-off, however, the word ‘dinosaur’ will be replaced with ‘Jesus horse.’”

On topic - great news.

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Fact? Evolution is not fact. Evolution is theory.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, it's theory, not hypothesis. It's backed by a hell of a lot of evidence and has yet to be disproven (believe it or not, there are a lot of people trying - that's what happens with proper scientific methods, something is published and the community tries its hardest to destroy it). The creationist stuff they want to teach is stories backed up by nothing - it belongs in religious education, not science.

Keep religion to religious education. Science should be taught in science classes.

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

So is gravity and relativity.

At least some people around here understand the difference between hypothesis and theory.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I was just about to make a post about the user who called evolution a "fact" until I saw this and the previous post correcting him.

For those completely unaware, science does not PROVE anything. It does not create FACTS. It only tests an hypothesis and then possibly presents a theory backed by research data. You can only support a theory, not present it as a final answer. Science always holds out for future research to come along and further validate or provide alternative research which causes a theory to be retracted.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

With every new discovery wether we are talking planetary evolution or biological evolution all the parts are falling into place. They have found feathered winged dinosaur fossils, they have now found snake fossils with legs, then we have the galapogos islands loaded with proof. Take a look at dogs they all are from the root dog but a great dane and poodle are related? selected breeding,enviroment,mutations and lots and lots of time can lead to anything. Evolution is fact those that deny the huge amount of evidence are spinning in their religion little else. God works through evolution and everything is in a state of change only we cant see it due to are puny tiny little time on this planet. The evidence is everywhere. Its Man who is in denial.

13. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

Amen.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

For some reason only gravity has made it from theory to "law". In fact, both relativity (special at least) and evolution are so established that they should join the law club.

Evolution is not something that happened occasionally in the distant past. It has been demonstrated time and again to be going on around us and to take far fewer generations than most folks expect.

The only debate is what's the driver for Evolution, is natural selection the only thing or are there other significant factors.

B

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'm going to call my next dog Root.:D

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, but what if you're outside calling for your dog and some wacko thinks you're offering.

Root? ROOOOT??

Can somebody help me find ROOT???

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That only works in Strine.:p

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

True, to be honest I lost track of what I was saying half way through my post and really was asking for a root by the end. :D :D

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like Natural Selection in action.

B

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I bet no one else has a dog named Root:)

21. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Science does have FACTS. Is it not FACT that the earth spins around the sun, the moon around the earth? Is it not fact that certain species of insects and reptiles can change sex in a one-sex environment in order to mate? Is it not FACT that the dinosaurs roamed the earth? The bible never ONCE mentions dinosaurs, except a small part of the book of Job which talks about a dragon, or a great reptilian beast.

Religion has come up with all sorts of ideas for this stuff when there's actual, quantifiable evidence supporting science.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Not to change subject but I think like wearing a coat religion if started young enough becomes a nice little reality that people live in and they feel threaten with anyone who says anything different then their book of belief even when confronted with blatant evidence. Its a little shocking how eager this town was to deny Evolution, thats the scary thing.

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Are you sure you want to give him that much power?

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Well dog is a dyslexic's god.

Just call him sudo when you want to rein him in.

B