Evolution Attack Goes Global

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by adroit, Sep 18, 2006.

1. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Well, I was pacing back and forth wondering if the MR crowd would draw and quarter me for starting yet another "religion vs. evolution" thread and decided that this needed to be discussed.

Linky

My bold

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

lol... falsehoods is a point of view. Christians can't definitively prove their creation theory. So how exactly does that make evolution false?

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Faulty logic makes it false. :)

4. adroit thread starter macrumors 6502

adroit

huh?

5. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

I've never seen what the big deal with evolution and christianity is. If you read Genesis, it follows evolution step by step (when taken figuratively). I had a minister once who summed it up by saying "I don't care how he made people, I just care that he made them." That always struck a chord with me. So what if God made people by slowly changing an ape over a long period? Evolution and christianity can very easily coexist.

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Evolution is a theory. Therefore, it is falsehood.

See how that works? I was being sarcastic. :)

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The "Darwin Awards" prove that evolution works. Too slowly, however.

:D, 'Rat

8. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

From all I've read on the subject, it seems to me that these detractors of evolution only have a problem with the "human connection" of evolution. As if they are arrogant enough to presume human exemption from all laws of nature. :rolleyes:

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

wow, pope said so too, just ask those far right zealots to see if they accept your idea.

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

A pitifully close-minded view.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Aw, I dunno, aquajet. Could be that he was taking the long view of the rate of change of this old ball of dirt. Maybe he took it for granted that God made the earth, geology and all. Geologic time scale and all that.

I've always been unbothered by the notion that God made the Earth in seven days. Hokay; who knows how long is a "day" to a god? Might be a few billion human years, for all I know. Does it matter? :)

'Rat

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've always heard that and found it pityful what people would be to believe in something:rolleyes:

13. Queso macrumors G4

Nice plan. Destroy the links between the scientific evidence for evolution and the theory itself, then tell the world that the theory must be bunk.

As for Betty Benedict, don't get me started :rolleyes:

14. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Actually I find that to be a rather level headed view of how the religion and science can co exist. I mean it doesn't rely on one canceling out the other. How is that close-minded?

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

zap2, I'm not sure what you mean. All I'm saying is that there's no way for me to absolutely know what "He" did and when; I don't worry about it for just that reason.

I've spent too many years meddling around in the Great Big Outdoors to not figure that there's some sort of Big Hodad In The Sky who created a nice playground for me. I also figure that creatures evolve over the years. Some folks may see that as contradictory, maybe, but I don't get ulcers over what other people think.

"Don't take life seriously; it won't last forever." I'm 72; I'll find out soon enough...

:D, 'Rat

16. aquajet macrumors 68020

Well of course it is because one side is disinterested in the questions that the other seeks to answer and as such, there's nothing to debate.

Close-minded, as in disinterested and unreceptive to one of the most important questions humans have ever raised. Although, there is a bit of ambiguity in the original statement, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh. :)

17. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

This article is way wrong about what the pope said. He did not "slam" evolution. The author of the article is being completely irresponsible and is spreading falsehoods with overly powerful words. The pope does not deny evolution. What he "slammed" was the idea that God had no say in the creation of the world and that it all happened by choice.

I can't believe how wrong the article of this author got the Catholic Church's stance. It's just going to lead to more misunderstanding and conflict.

18. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

ahh ok, I guess in that respect you are correct. I just sort of viewed it more as the preacher saying "maybe our current interpretation (the bible) isn't correct and isn't worth fighting over"

I mean certainly makes more sense to say "I believe god created man through evolution and heres the evidence..." than it does to say "god created man and it's all exactly how this old books says it happened"

I just find the whole attack on science to be rather scary, and coming across a handful of religious people who are open enough to admit that the bible isn't a text book/science is refreshing to me.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

...meanwhile, scientists discovered the remains of a 3 million years old hominid child, furthering the knowledge on the origin of man
    http://www.nature.com/nature/focus/hominiddevelopment/index.html (they even have a podcast)

eventually, all religions will 'incorporate' evolution into their teachings, or will be laughed out of existence.
    unfortunately, before that happens they can still a lot of damage.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

The last Pope made things pretty clear, I don't know why people seem to forget it so easily. And not just people like the author of the article, but the subjects of the article as well. But this isn't about religion or science. Religion is just a convenient scapegoat.

Damn fundies, always ruining things for the rest of us.