Evolution hearings open in Kansas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by emw, May 6, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Link.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I'd love to have kids question the science of evolution (even though I'm an evolution supporter). Whatever theories evolution maintains should stand up to these questions. Good discussion should be encouraged.

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I done evolved from uh saxaphone. Ain't no government gunna tells me otherwises.

Seriosuly though.. Separation of church and state is SO huge to me. If you want your kids to learn about creationism rather then evolution, send them to Christian school.

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Honestly, has anyone ever been in a Biology class in which the professor said "Evolution is absolute truth! God is dead! Christianity is the scourge of the earth! All deists must be purged!" Honestly. All my professors/teachers have said, simply, that evolution is a theory that, like creationism, cannot be completely proved or disproved.

If any one of the people seeking to ban the teaching of evolution has actually read The Origin of Species I'll crap my pants. Their view of it probably stems from some vague conception of Social Darwinism during the Gilded Age and reading some random quote by William Jennings Bryan. Bah. Now I'm pissy.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

We're dealing with backwards people who are in a world that is dragging them kicking and screaming but inevitably into a modern age. They'll fight anything that looks like progress or evolution.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Kinda. My biology teacher kept repeating that Evolution is a theory and not fact, but he sure did have a good time completley bashing and discussing holes in the theory of creation. I sure did enjoy that lecture

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Did they now? True, evolution is a theory, which means it can't be proven so much as supported by objective evidence. Creationism on the other hand can neither be proven nor supported by objective evidence.

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No, evolution, as a theory, can be disproved, in which case it would no longer be a theory (unlikely).

Creationism can be neither proved nor disproved because it asserts something unprovable - that God created all this oh, 10,000 years ago or so, in seven days, and any evidence to the contrary is either bogus or "planted."

It can be neither proved nor disproved that, were he to exist, Santa Clause would prefer chocolate over vanilla ice cream. Hence, I suppose, Kringle's hypothetical flavor preferences are on par with creationism as theories.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Which makes it a matter of faith. Which means it's an establishment of religion. Which means it has no place in our secular education system and government.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which brings us, once again, around to Turtolitarianism.
    :)

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or "creeping meatballism," as one my favorite social observers used to say.

(A lot of extra points if anyone can name him.)

11. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Now... alternative explainations... hold on... let me think...

ooh .. CREATIONISM.

Yeah, that's going to go over well. Damn it, can't people ever just get over the fact that their religion doesn't have to be the only ****ing one that dominates everything?! Sheesh.

12. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Five hundred lashings for inadequate Grovelling At The Feet Of God.

13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Archie Bunker ??

14. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Okay, Looked it up.

It's from a sixties New York DJ I've never heard of (being that I'm a west coast boy not alive in 1960).

Looks like he was good commentary though.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i bet you're familiar w/ some of his work.

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, that would be creeping meatHEADism...

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You got it. Jean Shepherd wasn't a DJ, though. He was humor writer, radio monologuist and story teller based in New York. His radio show ran nearly every night from the late '50s through the late '70s. Some of his shows were syndicated, so he did develop a small fan-base outside of the NYC area, and of course everybody knows about "A Christmas Story." Those of us who did grow up in that place and time and got what Shepherd was doing, had the privilege of hearing one of the few real geniuses of radio at work in his prime. Find any Shepherd fan and you'll hear the same story about falling asleep with a transistor radio under the pillow. We all did. He probably had more influence on my outlook on life than anyone outside of my immediate family.

The Shepherd Memorial and Fan Site

18. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ye gods.

So he's kind of a more urbanized Garrison Kieler.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hardly. Follow the link, me boy. Follow the link.

20. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Interesting.... Not enough information to really get to know the guy's work...

Okay, now I feel a bit deprived. My generation has only George Carlin to compare... Jon stewart would, I'm sure like to be in that running but frankly I haven't seen much other than clever quips from him.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

22. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Now there's a fire-and-brimstone minister I could respect. He made excellent use of a strongly religious upbringing. Not just comedy, cathartic therapy sessions.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The site is loaded with information, but requires some digging. Literally thousands of his radio programs were taped and saved by fans over the years. They're now available for download in mp3 format. You'll find some of those on flicklives.com.

Sam Kinison -- I never understood that guy except as a repulsive misanthrope.

24. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

His comedy is very much like Industrial music. You have to endure the initial autonomic overload for a few minutes before the more subtle overtones come clear.