Evolution is a fact, Jack.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Now, this may not seem to be directly related to politics, but apparantly the scientific community has been getting a little hot under the collar at all of the challenges to Darwins theory. The following is only an excerpt but I highly recommend reading this article in the magazine where you will be able to see all of it. Not only does the article talk about how strong Evolutionary theory was when Darwin spent 20 years preparing the presentation, but it also talks about the advancements made since and how important they are going to bein the future.

Seeing as science in general is being threatened by political and a religious resurgence, an article like this reminds me of how important science is and how disengenuous the rhetoric attacking it has become. Evolution is not just a theory anymore, and yes, you can see evolution at work even as we speak.

From Was Darwin Wrong?

Just cause.

2. brap macrumors 68000

National Geographic have been running some really risky articles this year, seemingly designed to try and beat some sense into the American right wing; first oil, then global warming... now this? Wow. All I can say is bravo, we seem to have a dirty liberal editor.

Now I just wish my subscription came to my Canterbury address... bah! :mad:

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Gravity is "just" a theory too. Maybe we should teach in school that some people don't believe that it exists. After all, we need to fully accommodate those who don't understand the first thing about science and aren't interested in learning.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I was reminded of this cartoon:

Attached Files:

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Hahahaha .... fantastic, and I thought we were just living in an agrarian nation.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

In case there was any doubt on Evolution's validity:

Attached Files:

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Let's see ... IQ is a bell curve, i.e. a normal distribution. The mean IQ is 100, so 50% of the population (anywhere, anybody) is stupid, by definition (stupid = not smart; smart = not stupid). So, 45% believe that god created us, as is. This is a surprise? No, this is what makes the world what it is, as nature intended it. You, and I, may not like it, but you better learn to live with it, because it isn't, ever, going to change. Checks and balances, for better or worse. I mean, come on, we elect a president for a second term that doesn't believe in global warming and thinks that raping the land is a sustainable strategy? It is frustrating, but I truly believe, as I believe in evolution, that it *can't* be any other way. We all can't be rocket scientists any more than we can all be dumpster divers.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can't accept this reasoning. We don't find 45% of people believing that humans can breathe water or fly by flapping their arms. Many things are accepted universally as being empirically true. The reason so many people have a problem with natural selection and evolution is because it's tied up with a certain kind of religious belief which cannot accommodate scientific complexity. At the same time, they readily accept all of the products of science, in which they do not believe, that make their lives longer and richer. The cognitive dissonance this must create in their minds is difficult for me to imagine.

9. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

They have been, I realized this when I was reading the readers responce to articles that have been run recently. Nat Geo recently covered FARC and did a more indepth story concerning how FARC manages to work within the local community. It drew a somewhat accusatory responce from a Federal Agency dedicated to shutting down FARC, for some reason they chose to accuse Nat Geo of somehow supporting FARC when clearly they will not. Hopefully I haven't made Nat Geo a political target by highlighting an article that runs against what is currently popular in politics. Time will tell.

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Every animal on the planet is involved in adapting to its enviroment,food supply and ecosystem. everything is in a state of change. evolution is a fact. look at man now vs 1,000 years ago. we are getting taller and bigger, look at dogs with selective breeding you have toy poodles to Great Dane all coming from the root dog. The planet is changing and so are we only our short life time make's it hard to observe. The right wing Zealots would like to forget science and make the bible the end all say all on everything. The fossil record cant be ignored no matter how much they want to spin it. Evolution is occurring every single day on gods time not ours.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Whew! I haven't laughed that hard in a while... :D :)

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would be interested in such polls from other countries ...

i don't remeber getting taught something different in school so it's amzing that there are still people who refuse to accept it...heck even my grandmother accepts it and she goes to church every sunday

i think there is plenty room for religion beyond the big bang ..mythology always jumped in line when people couldn't explain something ...

..perhaps some people are too afraid of the extremly huge amount of new knowledge which the natural sciences throw out every _day_ ... for many people natural sciences are something like a big huge pile of a grey somethign they don't understand..and at some point they rufuse to take anymore and jump to faith...
    just look at astronomy and it's stupid brother astrology ...
    did you know that Pluto is no longer a planet for astronomy ? and that the US-Astrology Lobby prevented any big fuss about it and played that news down because it would get them into problems explaining their "calculations" and may have costed them money :rolleyes:

here the church has not really a problem with schools teaching evolution..because they have their own 1-2 hours a week in school (where they could teach creationsism if they wanted ... but they don't do it because of the resistance of students..it's more some sort of ethical stuff and basic things about the different religions etc.) and of course they don't want to alienate rather secular people who are paying the church tax of 1% ;) (more people are leaving the church then ever before..so it wouldn't be wise to stirr up additional problems for them ;) )

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Here is one of many arguments laid out..........

Part 1

14. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Part 2 (sorry for the size but I really wanted this posted) :(

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

16. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From the article:
    Sorry, wrong.

17. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

18. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Four words for you: Part of the problem.

This guy has been spouting off these misconceptions for years. If YOU are really interested in opening your eyes to the actual facts behind evoluation, please look here:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html
    http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/faqs-qa.html

Mark Hartwig, like many evolution detractors, exploit the fact that people don't understand the difference between evolution the theory and evolution the fact. Evolution is both fact and theory, as explained here: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html

Taft

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Due to the remotest of remote odds, it would seem to take MORE FAITH in a creator to accept evolutionary theory.

From the above link "fact, fable, and darwin"

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Okay then stubeef, the next time you get an infection I expect you to refuse a prescription for any of the new antibiotics. You'll do that, won't you?

21. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You should only need penicillin, vcillin or maybe tetracycline. If you don't understand what I'm driving at here, ask your doctor. But by no means should you take any of the new antibiotics because the Bible says that they could not possibly be necessary.

23. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Could you be driving at the constantly changing and resilance of bacteria, and therefore they might be come a monkey and then man?

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The process of natural selection is happening in your own body, even if you choose not to believe it. Fortunately science understands this process and can help us overcome it. In your case, I strongly urge you once again to remain true to your beliefs and refuse modern antibiotics.