Ewwww, Dell make an "iWin"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jive, Dec 23, 2006.

1. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I'm surprised you haven't seen that yet. It's been out for quite awhile now. I've never seen one in person though.

2. Queso macrumors G4

3. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

I clicked on a link found in some Digg thread. I'm shocked at how bad it actually is. It's not even like it's not just my taste or something, it's just wrong...

Although I probably am biased since I do love Apple design. Love it so much <3

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

For what you get it's definitely not worth the price of a Mac Pro. And people say Macs are expensive...

5. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

It's a "laptop", not a desktop machine like the iMac.

There was a review of it a while back where some guy took it on the Tube. People stared.

6. MacSyn macrumors regular

Don't know what else to say beside "it's fugly".

7. jive thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it's got a 20" screen >_>

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

this has been around for a while. seeing it again made me want to throw up a little but i controlled myself.

9. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I don't think he literally meant "laptop". It is a mobile computer with a (huge) battery. I think it would be cool if the iMac had some sort of mobile power source. My friend uses his iMac as a mobile computer...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=255911

This is one thing the Dell couldn't do is fit on a tiny college classroom desk...

[​IMG]

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Ah... you hafta see it in the flesh. It's a rather impressive beast. As one of the above posters said it's been out for a while so now it only matches the iMac in terms of general performance. I was considering it when my Macbook Pro became untenable for me to use normally. Eventually though I found the HP 17" laptop which was an excellent choice for me, now followed by the equally excellent (although so ugly that it becomes a talking point) XPS M1710.

I get the same reactions about the other XPS machines I have... the only haters are those who can't immediately pony up the cash to buy one ;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is the eighth or ninth thread on this thing on MR... just let it die in ugly peace... :( uLose.

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I find it to be oddly compelling, but I suspect that a 20" iMac with a UPS in an iLugger case would be smaller and lighter.

No subwoofer, though. The Dell would win there. I loves me some deep thumpin' bass when I'm sittin' in the cubicle at work with my homies.

If it were me, though, and I wanted a gaming PC, I'd buy a nice desktop, a decent 24" monitor, and a nice generator, then pay some kid to lug it around for me. I think it'd be easier and cheaper, and the carbon monoxide from the generator would really help me win against my non-oxygen-mask-wearing LAN party foes.

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Or just get the M1710 and have a 2407WFP / keyb / mouse at each location, which is what I do.

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yeah, but I really need that advantage only CO can give me at LAN parties. I suck at gaming.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Well that's the funny thing, I don't really game and I don't need a luggable gaming system. I just find it a great business machine because it's engineered to endure more stress than it does in my usage and has power to spare. I looked at the Precision notebooks but I figured what I do on a daily basis was more consumer-GPU orientated.

And I'd certainly rather have a dependable brick than a temperamental Apple supermodel which starts to flounder when you start trying to use the power that it is supposed to have.

16. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

The Dell machine has space inside for multiple hard drives and has a better graphics chipset than the MBP, so it is ugly for a reason - it's full of nice things.

Say what you like about Dell, but they certainly offer a lot of configuration options to the person looking to buy a machine for Windows use.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

That is Dells strongest point, The ability to make a machine that fits the buyer and not some committee of marketeers and brown nosers.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

19. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

all too true.

Lets be honest, if Dell were willing to throw away all the stuff that Apple have they could almost make a PC that looked as good as the iMac.

20. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

This thing is hideous... saw one at best buy...
    jeesh... just get a desktop... or a laptop, or a desktop, or a portable, or a desktop.... :confused:

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I do see it as a relatively nice LAN gamer rig, but I can't honesty see any other use for it. It's too big to do anything but lug around when needed, and not as powerful as a comparably-priced desktop, so I can't see any reason for non-gamers to buy one, and a gamer that dedicated (to spend that much) is likely going to bring a gamer desktop instead.

I fail to see the market for it.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They call it a show stopper. In my line of work show stopper means we do not proceed with our application, project, etc. Yeah it's a show stopper all right.

23. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

yeah it'll stop people......and make them say "wtf is that fugly thing"

24. zoziw macrumors member

zoziw

I saw one at an ever trendy Dell kiosk in a local mall. While the kiosk itself is pretty lame, that particular model was quite impressive looking.

Too rich for my blood though.