Ex Apple employee tries life without the net

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Pseudonym, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Pseudonym macrumors regular

From the BBC website:

Here's the link.

My biggest problem of going offline would be having to talk to real people rather than email them! Of course, I would also miss the rumors of the new G5 tablet iPda;)

2. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    yeah, i'm moving this weekend and won't have broadband for a couple weeks... that's the longest i've gone without it in 4 years. i'll still have dial up for those couple weeks, but i mean... dial up?? is this the stone age??? :(

maybe i'll enjoy coming into work more for our 1 1/2 T1's :D

3. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ill be going without net on spring break, gonna be going to spain, well i think i can access the net, but it wont be ona regular basis!!! nooooo

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Taking a hiatus is fun sometimes. I've been up in Alaska with out a digital link for over a month. It would be totally different doing that sort of thing at home.

The draw to get online and see what's going on, search what you want to look at, talk to friends, etc.

Like he said, its a personal choice - have to wonder why its such a big deal.

D

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

how did we live 10-15 years ago ? :confused:

Like any dangerous habbit (alcohol, TV, shower every day...:D ) it is good to have a break from time to time to keep an eye on the level of your addiction. If you start feeling really bad, then it isn't a good sign...

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

This summer I went without it for over 2 months. I'll tell ya, it wasn't easy. Especially knowing that G5s might be announced. But I was very busy filming an independent movie, so that kept my mind off cyberspace most of the time.

I did miss it, though!;)

7. Pseudonym thread starter macrumors regular

I'd agree with that. Must have been a slow week in the BBC!

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

HAHA that's funny. I've had dial up until 2 months ago, then the local cable company had a special, so now I have cable internet. Just have to get my server up now :cool:

9. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Y'know, it's funny to think that some of us will be telling our grandchildren someday about how we did things Before the Internet. It's really a huge development in the areas of communications, commerce, and information access.

It really hit home how much I've gotten used to the Internet during the power outage following Hurricane Isabel. I wanted to go online to see what the storm was doing, whether downtown was in any condition for me to go to work, whether the buses were running, etc....all of which would have been quickly available by Internet, but required listening to the right radio station at the right time to find out. Or I could have relied on the last available report by the newspaper on things that were sure to be updated several times during the day.

And that's without worrying about following my usual sites, posting to forums, or email. Drove me nuts! Information deprivation!

10. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Taking a short break is nice and all, but I have a few friends who don't have any net connection at home, neither dial-up nor broadband. They just use their access at work or school. I like to joke with them, "so do you have running water at least?" :D

It's a bit like my damn cell phone. I get nervous hitting the road without it, even though I did fine without it for a number of years.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Lived quite well actually. I'm in the minority on the forum. I lived almost 40 years without the Internet.

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Oh my God!

Really!

*gasp*

hehe, kidding.

Short breaks away from computing is good.

Very good.