EX-DIPLOMATS ROUND ON MIDEAST POLICY

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Apr 26, 2004.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good deal. Doubt it will have any influence on Dubya though.

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Good news...I have always seen the UK as aligning itself w/ the US as a matter of pragmatism...not sure that holds in light of current/unfolding events...on a related note, hey skunk, how are job opportunities over there? I hold dual-citizenship w/the UK (as I grew up there)...now might be a good time for a move...

3. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

As the son of a British diplomat in the middle east, I'm very glad the UK Foreign Service has finally broken its diplomatic silence. Blair can't afford to ignore these people. Unlike in the US I believe, all British diplomats are career people, so their opinions count.
    As for jobs, having been self-employed all my life, I'm not an expert on this, but UK unemployment is something like 2.5% now, very low, so it could be a good move. :)

4. toontra macrumors 6502

Did you see Donald Anderson on Channel 4 news tonight? He suggested that the Foreign Office as a whole, and the retired signatories in particular, have pro-Arab sympathies and, by implication, are less sympathetic to Israel.

I have to say that is news to me - any insight from your father's perspective (without infringing official secrets!).

5. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

Absolutely true. They tend to understand the issues, which tends to lead them to that conclusion. My father's not around any more, so no current insight, but I am sure he would be appalled at the whole fiasco. It all goes to show that this bunch, on both sides of the pond, only listen to what they want to hear: any dissenting opinions, even from experts in the field, are just ignored. We really need desperately to rediscover consensus. We can't fight everyone. Nor should we want to.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks for the info Skunk...my family has a house in Morden, Surrey that I would probably let...if it happens I'll buy you a pint :) Out of curiosity, where did you father serve? International relations/Foreign service is a hobby of mine, I might know of him...if it is an improper question to ask, I'll understand...

7. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It may be a litre by then!

1938 British Embassy, Cairo
    1945 Foreign Office, Whitehall
    1950 Head of Chancery, British Embassy, Washington DC
    1953 Political Resident, Persian Gulf
    1958 British Ambassador to Turkey
    1962 Whitehall, Chairman of Joint Intelligence Committee
    1966 British Ambassador to NATO

Pretty heavy stuff... :eek: