exact audio copy - for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dontpanic, Jan 29, 2005.

1. dontpanic macrumors regular

is there an equivalent program to this for macs?

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

What does it do?

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It rips Audio CD's using Raw and makes an exact copy byte for byte doing multiple passes if needed to make sure it is right.I don't know of a equivelant Mac prog(doesn't mean there isn't one).Good prog for the audiophiles out there.

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

How 'bout using Disk Utility to make a disc image of the thing?

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

You could trouble is you won't get an exact copy most ripping programs do a good job but can't make an exact copy.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've tried that before.

It doesn't seem to work when you go to reburn it... it doesn't preserve the track lead-ins. It may have something to do with reburning to Red-Book standards, but I'm getting way out of my depth here...

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

its also very good at(erm how can I phrase this)bypassing some of the more nasty anticopying crap that CD manufacturers insist on fulling up CD's with. :cool:

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How about... 'increasing the CDs functionality and accessibility'?

9. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

uh yeah... when they work, all my copy protected cd's rip in itunes. i really dont know why they bother.

it is rather a good program thou. i have searched for a mac version / simular program and never found one. :mad:

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Macs generally are very good at ripping audio CD's but there are some out there which will defeat anything except EAC.

11. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

12. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

OK, Toast won't do a sector copy, and it won't burn Red-book CD's, Jam will burn to the Red-book standard, and will operate from a disc image.

I'd say you have two choices here, image the disc using Disc Copy, drop the image into Jam and burn red book from there, this should preserve meta data and track relationships.

Otherwise, rip the disc into iTunes using the .aiff importer, then grop the files into Jam and re-build the disc to your spec.

The key is the Red-book burn and the preservation of meta data. iTunes also removes the annoying DRM codes, which will still be in place in an image.

If the intention is to preserve the quality of the original, then rip to iTunes and burn with Jam, if you're trying to circumvent anti-piracy features that's probably the easiest way, if you are genuinely tyring to reproduce an exact copy of the CD code, then you'll need a word-clock sychronisable source, a digital recorder with an AES/EBU digital input and some kind of audio editor (ProTools or Sonic Solutions will do).

...or you could just use diskcopy in toast, unless you're a genuine audiophile with a stack of very expensive hi-fi then you'll probably not hear the difference.

13. dontpanic thread starter macrumors regular

well, i was thinking of seeding a show on easytree, and wanted to take the wavs from my cdr's, people get pissy if it's not done using eac i think

i don't think i will bother though, how good is itunes at ripping cd's into wav format

14. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

15. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Works as well as anything, wav is basically the same code as aiff, with different headers, it's all PCM stuff anyway.

I think iTunes wavs would be fine.