exact specs of 12" IB & PB memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Nameless, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Nameless macrumors newbie

for both 512MB and 1GB ram please :D

P.S. how's the battery life and durability on the 12" PB doing?

2. efoto macrumors 68030

What do you mean exact specs at 512 and 1G? What portion of the *specs* are you looking for at those ram quantities?

There are A TON of battery related threads, I know because I asked this question ages ago myself and everyone pointed me to search the forums for battery stuff. Do a quick search for "PB Battery Life" or something like that and just read a few threads.

3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

As far as RAM goes, it's a DDR PC2100 SO-DIMM. Non-ECC, Unbuffered. Is that what you're looknig for?

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The ibook has DDR PC2100 SO-DIMM (non ECC, unbuffered)
    but the Powerbooks MUST HAVE ATLEAST PC2700!!!!
    PC2100 is rated at 266MHz DDR, PC2700 is rated 333MHz.
    You won't do any harm putting faster RAM in (333Mhz instead of 266Mhz, 400Mhz (PC3200) instead of 333MHz).
    But get PC 2700 (or higher for the powerbooks).

All the 'books needs SO-DIMM, non ECC, unbuffered

5. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Thanks for the correction. My eyes must have skipped right over the PB... I only saw iBook! Guess I should read more carefully next time.

6. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

You can find all this info at Apples web site ;)

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have used both PB and iBook with the stock ram and max capacity of ram it will hold and I see where little in battery drain on average I get about 5.5 hours with the iBook and 3.5 hours with the PowerBook with the stock ram, with the max capacity its drops the iBook and PowerBook a few minutes less not a big deal, I have also noticed that running iTunes will take a lot of battery power compared to only surfing with Safari and basic tasks.

At present I am very pleased with the battery life on the iBook however I still see much reason for the PowerBook to follow this path, its a portable and battery life is a KEY. :)

8. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well if put iTunes to shuffle it hardly takes any power. Also, turning down the screen brightness down to just one bar helps a lot.

cheers

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have never used the lcd screen higher than the lowest since my eyes are sensitive to the bright screen ration, CRT's are worse.

Shuffle, I have not tried might test it out though. However when I quit iTunes the battery gains more portable time. Seems playing music takes quite a bit of power look at the iPod and they battery life. :(

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Turn of EQ and you'll get better battery life.

I get about 4 hours with screen at 50% and bt OFF, airport ON.
    (Running Mozilla, aMSN, xcode, terminal)

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Bingo, you just figured the culprit, it is the EQ. My AP and BT is turned off. :)

Everything is on the lowest settings anyhow and CPU is automatic. EQ was the battery draining factor.

I am good to go now. thanks :)

12. efoto macrumors 68030

You guys referring to the EQ in iTunes or is there an EQ for the system itself that is taking power? (I am assuming you mean equalizer right?)

13. Nameless thread starter macrumors newbie

I found 512MB that has two sizes: 64x64 and 128x64 so I got confused. Also, when I looked at the memory in apple.com's store, it didn't specify either.

Thanks for the replys!! :)

And how "average" is your average, Maya? ;) I won't be using AR much and rarely BT. Most likely use for me is office and dreamweaver along with a bit of music.

What about durability? Is the PB that much weaker than the IB?! It'll be used at home and work, maybe a bit in college. In all cases it will be resting in an Axio bag along with a WaterField sleeve.....

14. Nameless thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I think I need to get things more clear. I need a small, light laptop....period. I've been considering the PB 12'' from Mac and the Panasonic Toughbook eLite. It's selling for $2500 with 40GBHD, 512MB ram, and a 1.1MHz centrino. Very expensive but it's really sturdy(magnesium) and REALLY light(2.8lbs) with a great battery (Cnet rated 5hours).....only one problem....WinXP :( And no, it's no angel either, small loud keyboard is a big offset to me...an offset that the PB fixes very nicely ;)

So, tell me honestly. If you had the money and wanted a 12" that wasn't Sony and could wait 'till summer.....where would you go?

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Important point, the RAM has to be 200-pins, not 184-pins or anything else. Otherwise, it won't fit into the PB. ;)

So the RAM has to be DDR PC2700, SO-DIMM, non- ECC, and 200-pin.

Just go to OWC or Crucial.com. Even a monkey can find the right RAM for your system if you just follow the instructions. Once you find the right RAM, the specs for that RAM is what you're looking for. :)

17. Rubin421 macrumors member

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yes. RAM in the iBook is the same for all of them, RAM in the PowerBooks is the same for all of them.

I would wait until after MSWF in January (I think...) because that is when the PowerBooks are due for a speed bump.

Don't get the ToughBook. I take good care of my PowerBook and it does great. iBooks are stronger, but if you need the Power there, go for the PowerBook.

I can get 5:30 with the screen to one bar and just MS word open. It drops to about 5:00 with iTunes open and playing... but I haven't played with the equalizer yet. (Stickies... come here!) With iTunes playing, Safari open, BT and AP on, I get 3:40 out of it. Pretty good, actually. And if I turn down the screen, have nothing on, and am only reading a .pdf in Preview I can get 5:45 squeezed out of it. :D I have the only laptop that the battery bar turns red and I still have 1:05 left. (It goes red at 20%) Much nicer than a WinDoze box that will flash an alert at you so you scramble to save and close your open documents, etc, and then as you "exit" a few more applications it hibernates on you. By the time you get to a plug, the battery has probably died completely if you aren't lucky (I never am).

19. Nameless thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried a friend's 1GHz G4 Ibook and it was quite lovely. I guess I'm sticking with the IB and accesorise with a bit of the cash. I'm getting another 512MB for it. Will this do? http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3326052 IIRC, Kingeston are great ram manufactures and the price is good. :)

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It really helps you get more battery time if you take off your clothes? :eek:

Seriously, for my MO using my iBook 12" on battery, I don't usually get much more than four hours. But its four real hours doing pretty much anything I want. So that's not so bad, huh? I really like that. But then again I guess I've never used a centrino Win laptop -- they're supposed to do pretty well too, huh?

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hell yeah, bare skin chills the metal of my PowerBook. :p
    I meant nothing playing in iTunes...:cool:

Their good, but not that good. My friend has a Centrino that gets about 1:55 with heavy usage (WiFi, Screen at ~40%, processor load is high) so, well. I'd go with the iBook for battery life but the PowerBooks aren't too shabby. The 12" at least, dunno about the other ones.

22. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Nameless, I would go with the iBook 12" its more durable than the 12" PB and a little heavier however not much, on the plus side the applications you are running you should get 5.5 hours on average since you are not using BT and AP as long as its turned off you should be fine the iBook also chargers up fast IMHO (since Apple users varying battery type technologies in they notebook line even if its the same line).

I would actually max out the ram on the iBook rather do it now and get all the performance increases you can and not waste the 512 dimm in the future when you want to upgrade.

Maxing out the system for your needs should give it a good 2+ years of life for a very good price. And given the outlook of the PB no one knows if its going dual core G4 or a single core G5, once we have a road map for the PB line the iBook like will follow the same path to a point.

I maxed out my 12" iBook upgraded almost everything and it was a little bit over 1599 CAD that is with taxes included and some neat discounts. I am very pleased with the deal though FREE would have been better. :)