Exactly what type of memory does the eMac take?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jamdr, Jun 29, 2005.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Okay, so I just bought RAM for my eMac (the newest model) and everything seems to work fine. However, when I go to system profiler, I notice that the speed of the memory I got is less than the memory that came with the machine. The eMac came with 256MB of PC3200 RAM while I bought PC2700 RAM (as I was instructed to do by the salesperson). When I check online at everymac.com it confirms that the 1.42 GHz eMac takes PC2700 RAM. So why does Apple include PC3200 memory and will it hurt my system to have two different types of memory in it?

Attached Files:

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No it won't hurt. Apple put in PC3200 because that was the lowest cost RAM they had on hand when your machine was built. The eMac will simply clock it down to PC2700 (333 MHz) and run it at that speed. There is no speed advantage in a Mac to installing "faster" RAM.

3. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

It's good to have someone on-hand with your knowledge in this department. Thanks CanadaRAM.

4. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Thanks very much, your help is very much appreciated! That had me worried there for a second. People like you really make Macrumors a great Mac community :)