Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
According to everything I have read, OS 9 was the only limiting factor on there being 1.5GB of RAM in my machine. Now that I only use OS X, is it possible to fill my remaining RAM slot with another 512MB RAM chip? I have 4 slots for RAM, and a 512 chip in three of the slots. I have been unable to get confirmation that more RAM could be added from Apple Support.

RL

Sorry, that header should read Gigabit, not Gigabyte...my bad

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I doubt it, the motherboard would also limit the amount or RAM it can pick up, and I would have thought it would have been designed for a MAX of 1.5Gb. Do you really need 2Gb anyway? 1.5Gb is a lot!

q1232

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
cleveland
I have a g4 agp with 2GB of ram installed. It will work with os x as my available ram only drops to 1.5GB when I boot into 9.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Is it possible to put 1Gb DDR modules into the new G4's? I've seen PC motherboards that advertise that they can use 1GB modules, and I'm wondering if they'd work with a Mac...

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
no DDR but....

the OS IS the limiting factor. OS 9 will never see more than 1.5 GB. OS X however has no currently relevant top end limit.

In the new towers, yes.... U just have to match the speed. Apple habitually does not talk with customers or even technicians about larger modules than Apple installs themselves even if they work. I have a Rev D iMac at home that I could have 2•256MB modules in although Apple still lists 256 TOTAL as the maximum RAM.

DDR has a different pin config than SDR so U can't just add a PC2100 1GB DIMM to an older tower. U can however use PC133 DIMMs in PC100 systems without problems. I have a PC133 256MB module in with 3 PC100 DIMMs in my G4 AGP tower here at work and I have no issues from it. (My boss is CHEAP so I have no 512's in it <plays tiny violin for self>).;)

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
yes...

I think you can put 2.0 gigs in that tower as long as your under OS X. I saw a thing about it at a website that sells RAM. They have each mac with what you can upgrade for it listed... I dont have the URL right now... Ill come back and post it later when I get home.... that is if your still interested.

My understading is that if you boot into 9... you just wont get to use all the RAM

-evildead

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
Originally posted by edesignuk
I doubt it, the motherboard would also limit the amount or RAM it can pick up, and I would have thought it would have been designed for a MAX of 1.5Gb. Do you really need 2Gb anyway? 1.5Gb is a lot!

you can always user more RAM! I have 1.2... and I think I need to mac out at 1.5. At work.. all my systems have at least 4GB.... but thats a diffrent story... I have some systems with 16GB of RAM...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.