Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
I applied SP1 to Office 2004 yesterday, and every time I exit Excel now, I get this error: “Compile Error in Hidden Module: AutoExec”.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Attachments

• Excel Error.jpg
    Excel Error.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 123

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Diomedes said:
I applied SP1 to Office 2004 yesterday, and every time I exit Excel now, I get this error: “Compile Error in Hidden Module: AutoExec”.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

YEEESSSS!!! the exact same error. I have used one of my two free support email messages to microsoft asking for clarification and hopefully a solution. I'll let you know what response I get.

Vanilla

ZaniCWB

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
Brazil
grapes911 said:
I updated about 40 macs in a lab and my 2 personal ones without a hitch. Seems odd.

Yeah, my PowerBook 1.33 with 10.3.5 keeps running smooth after the Office SP1 update, and Excel, Word and PowerPoint are are just fine.

Diomedes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
San Francisco
Reinstalling didn't work for me

ZaniCWB said:
Actually there is a solution. Check this link! :cool:

Here is the "workaround" one of the Excel MVP's posted on the microsoft.public.mac.office.excel newsgroup:

1. In the Finder, do a "Find" for "PDFMaker". You will probably discover
> These annoying files in three Startup folders (Word, Excel, PowerPoint),
> namely PDFMaker.dot, PDFMaker.xla and PDFMaker.ppa Trash the files.
>
> 2. In place of each of them, create a new blank *folder* with the names,
> respectively, of PDFMaker.dot, PDFMaker.xla and PDFMaker.ppa.
>
> 3. When you open Acrobat you may be told there is a discrepancy and asked
> whether you want it repaired. Click "Don't ask me again" and "No" to the
> repair question.
>
> The result is that when you open Acrobat, it will "see" that you already
> have a PDFMaker.dot or .xla in folder form and will not create another nor
> overwrite what's there (since a file can't overwrite a folder).

This DOES work, although you lose the PDFMaker toolbar functionality.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Hi
So I just received the following from Microsoft support:

"I understand that you get the following message:

"Compile error in hidden module: Autoexec" when quitting Excel 2004. This issue occurs after you installing Office 2004 SP1. If I have misunderstood, please let me know.

Since we released Office 2004 SP1, we have received many same issues. This is an incompatibility between SP1 and Adobe Acrobat v 6.0 (same to 6.02).

Our develop team is working on this issue.

Currently, the workaround is: taking off PDFmaker.xla from Microsoft Office 2004:Office:StartUP:Excel folder.

Let me know if it helps. If you encounter any difficulties or have any concerns, feel free to let me know.

I am sorry for the inconvenience that our products have caused you. If I have any more information, I will inform you as soon as possible."

Which kind of agrees with the Diomedes comments, bar the instruction to recreate blank folders. Anyway, I removed the offending file as instructed and the error message has gone.

cheers
Vanilla

raydemel

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2004
Is This A Problem

Is this message a problem or can it be ignored and does excel work properly?

Thank you

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
It can be ignored. I've noticed the problem, but it has had absolutely no effect on anything, other than that I have an extra button to click.

kittykatne

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
thank you

thanks for posting the fix for this very annoying error. all along I've thought it was something that was just an error on my machine. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having issues - and that there's an easy fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.