Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
When I connect my Apple Pro Keyboard up to my PowerBook, I can't use the NumLock button. Fine-- I know that in Panther those were disabled.

But......

In Excel, I can't use that pad! It always interprets the commands as arrows. Even when the button on the PowerBook is pressed, it interprets the numpad as arrows.

Anyone got an idea?

tyrstone

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2004
I am having a weird problem with Excel v.2004. When I tried to open it for the first time since installing tiger, classic opened. Excel then shut down. Then I went to look at properties, and now it thinks excel is a classic application. Any help?
Thanks

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
tyrstone said:
I am having a weird problem with Excel v.2004. When I tried to open it for the first time since installing tiger, classic opened. Excel then shut down. Then I went to look at properties, and now it thinks excel is a classic application. Any help?
Thanks

No. You didn't help answer my question, either. Now, people will see my question and look at it but may or may not answer yours. If you have a question like that, start a new thread. That way there aren't issues where multiple people have multiple issues in the same thread.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mechcozmo said:
No. You didn't help answer my question, either. Now, people will see my question and look at it but may or may not answer yours. If you have a question like that, start a new thread. That way there aren't issues where multiple people have multiple issues in the same thread.

*throws a guppy in the pirana tank* :eek: ;) :D

I deleted Office.X, so I can only play with 2004, and also, ahem, I only have the internal iBook keyboard, but in numeric keypad mode, those keys work as numbers and not arrows. Hmmm...at the bottom of the Excel window, there are a series of lights for scroll / caps / num lock, right? Is your numlock light *in Excel* on? Mine is always on, whether or not my keyboard is in numeric mode (whereas the caps lock toggles). Can you click on it to change it by any chance?

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
mkrishnan said:
*throws a guppy in the pirana tank* :eek: ;) :D

I deleted Office.X, so I can only play with 2004, and also, ahem, I only have the internal iBook keyboard, but in numeric keypad mode, those keys work as numbers and not arrows. Hmmm...at the bottom of the Excel window, there are a series of lights for scroll / caps / num lock, right? Is your numlock light *in Excel* on? Mine is always on, whether or not my keyboard is in numeric mode (whereas the caps lock toggles). Can you click on it to change it by any chance?

Those buttons just reflect your status on the keyboard. And when my numlock light is on (even on the internal keyboard) the numpad always functions as arrows. The internal keyboard will start to use the numpad there as arrows instead of letters/numbers with that key pressed. :confused:

Oh, and newbies have to learn sometime... at least now maybe they will get help, and in the future too.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mechcozmo said:
Those buttons just reflect your status on the keyboard. And when my numlock light is on (even on the internal keyboard) the numpad always functions as arrows. The internal keyboard will start to use the numpad there as arrows instead of letters/numbers with that key pressed. :confused:

Hmmmm.....too strange. Could be a bug with Office.X? Maybe there just aren't enough mac users who are using .X, Tiger and the numeric keypad at the same time to have noticed? :rolleyes:

BTW, what about Word.X or another program? I'm assuming that in TextEdit or something like that, your numpad works like it should? I'm wondering if it's isolated to Excel, or to the MS code in Office.X...if it's just Excel, you might be able to trash a plist or summin'. :(

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
mkrishnan said:
Hmmmm.....too strange. Could be a bug with Office.X? Maybe there just aren't enough mac users who are using .X, Tiger and the numeric keypad at the same time to have noticed? :rolleyes:

BTW, what about Word.X or another program? I'm assuming that in TextEdit or something like that, your numpad works like it should? I'm wondering if it's isolated to Excel, or to the MS code in Office.X...if it's just Excel, you might be able to trash a plist or summin'. :(

Well, I'm still on Panther (for just a wee bit longer I hope :D).

In Word and TextEdit, both the internal and external numpad work just fine.

I'll try the .plist idea later, like in history class or something. Great time for debugging. :rolleyes:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
mkrishnan said:
:eek: :eek: :D

You better learn your history, though, lest it repeat itself...in Tiger, that is. ;)

Actually I didn't try it in history... but did use SubEthaEdit with a buddy's new PowerBook and an ad-hoc Airport network to take notes. :D

And if anyones wants to know, it didn't work. :mad:
It works fine in Word however...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Does anyone know if the numpad works in Excel 2004?

In Panther and in Tiger?

I'd consider buying Office 2004 (Heeelllllooooo Student Discount!) if it worked. Otherwise, why waste the $149?

Any experiences?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.