Excellent article on Gmail

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Nny, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Nny
    macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004

I liked this article a lot. Best point made: "No one is going to be forced to use gmail. If you don't like ads in your mail, don't use the service. Let the market decide."
  2. macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i think this guy hit dead on. I'm usually the first person to raise an eyebrow at privacy intrusion, but i have no problem with this automated ad placement, as long as we know about it. And I trust google, they've done right by me for 5 years, sticking to the same ideals and being a pillar of internet stability. I can't wait until this service goes public.

3. macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    I like the idea of 10MB attachments, and that will get me signing up. I agree though that as long as the ads are public knowledge and not sneakily inserted, I don't have a problem with it.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    I want e-mail to be just that, electronic "mail" I don't want any agency looking at or reading my e-mail, I don't care who it's from or what it's about. I value my privacy and I want to keep it private. The Federal regulations set up to govern the USPS are there for a reason, and I feel it's high time they consider doing something similar for the internet. For example:

I've spent some time sorting through the regulations and I feel these kind of get my message across. If my mother sends me a letter with a few pictures attached, I fell it an invasion of privacy if company "A", "B", or "C" is scaning my mail for content before I see it. ’nuff said