Excellent book...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Apr 4, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

I saw this guy on PBS with Bill Moyer (I really am almost a full fledged liberal now :p ) and his book is ASTOUNDING.

Ever want to beat your head up against the wall because of a debate with a religious friend? This book is for you.

My favorite part of the book is when he talks about debating religion between religious and non-religious people...(an excerpt from PBS):

"If we are going to debate religion with religious people, then the first thing we have to do is take the Faith Card off the table"

Moyer: "Why"

"Because Tina said so."

Moyer: "Who is Tina?"

"A friend of mine..."

Moyer: "And?"

"Well she said so, so that's my argument."

Moyer: "So Tina is your God?"

"That's the problem; you can't debate someone when they pull that card, can you?"

Anyway, I enjoyed the book and it's a cheap buy on Amazon.

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Ooh, that sounds perfectly up my ally. Now if only I had time to read.

I still have a brand new copy of Cat's Cradle sitting on my shelf that I had bought to start reading 2 months ago.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just got that book, Breaking The Spell - Religion as a Natural Phenomena, yesterday from Amazon (ordered it 2 weeks ago so handling and shipping only took 15 days :)).

I'm really looking forward to reading it, and using it as basis for a paper I'm writing for a course in Religious Studies/History of Religion, that should give me a bachelor's degree in Religion Studies and History (a hobby project of mine ;)).

Just browsed through the Contents and read the first 2-3 chapters, but so far I like the direction Dennett is going...

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

You'll love it. I never recommend books to my step mum, and I just e-mailed her the link to this book. It's THAT good.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Bill Moyers is a liberal?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes.

7. katchow macrumors 6502

My girlfriend's name is Tina. Trust me, there's no counter to the "Tina says so" defense. :p

8. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Thanks for the recommendation. Just requested it from the library.

9. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

It really does sound interesting. I just checked the holdings at the university's library here and they have it. As soon as the wife finishes up what she's working on, we're going to walk down there and pick up a copy!